Add the sweet potato, yukon potato, tomatoes, the water or broth, bouillon, jackfruit and beans. You can assemble this ahead and freeze as a crockpot freezer meal. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potato is knife-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain chickpeas. I only used one can of chickpeas and one can of tomatoes. Stir well. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality African chicken and sweet potato stew recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. So, the peanut butter is a definite game changer that elevates the flavours of this curry to the next level. Still very good as a vegetarian dish, and nice to have the option to make it either way. When it was finished cooking, I puréed the entire batch for serving. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. For African peanut stew, you only need a handful of simple ingredients. If you like, coat 1 pound pork stew meat with flour and cook in a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium heat, drain, and add to the stew with the green beans (in step 2). Looking at all the ingredients, everything is mostly cooked except the sweet potatoes. 4 Add the chopped spinach leaves, peanut butter, and lime juice. Substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger for the fresh ginger if preferred. I tried to make this following the steps exactly and it did not look anything like the picture (no corn peas?...) Good appetite! 1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley. Peanut Butter Stew is enjoyed in Togo, Mali, Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon. Top with chopped peanuts. Cover. I used peanut powder instead of peanut butter to keep the fat down and added a great deal more red pepper flakes to increase the heat. 3 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie or baked or poached are all fine) 1-2 T peanut oil (actually I used regular olive oil, but pe anut would be better—I just didn’t have it on hand) 1 ½ large onions chopped It is basically West Africa on a plate as different West African countries have their version of this stew. ; 3 Cover. Cook just until heated through. https://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/one-pot-african-peanut-stew In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in green beans, cover, and continue cooking until beans are heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. My daughter had two bowls. Once the sweet potatoes and carrots are fork tender, remove about 1/3 of the stew and blend to a creamy consistency. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Americans tend to think than all savory main dishes have meat, but that's not true everywhere. https://www.africanbites.com/maafe-west-african-peanut-soup My recipe calls for America’s original SKIPPY® Peanut Butter. ½ teaspoons white pepper ▢ Stir in the sauliflower, sweet potato, collard greens & raisins, continuing to cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes & sweet potatoes are tender. Yes, everyone's doing St. Patrick's Day potato recipes and green drinks and, if you're lookin' for some of that, check out my twist on Guinness Beef Stew or super easy Potato Leek Soup and gorgeous photos of our trip to the Emerald Isle. 2 fresh tomatoes chopped ▢ Other names for Mafe include Maafe, sauce d'arachide (meaning peanut sauce in French) or domoda. 100g butter, cut into small blocks. A must-have for Christmas gatherings and in … 1 can kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed. Start with prepping the produce, this is the hardest part and takes about 10 minutes max. https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/african-vegan-peanut-stew Here is some authentic West African Peanut Stew or West African Peanut Soup depending on how you want to call it! I prefer stew because of its consistency. During these brisk desert, evenings having a campfire is nice, but having a campfire with a simmering stew on top of it is even better. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Great with sauteed greens! 1kg sweet potatoes. Vegetarian West African-Inspired Peanut Stew with chickpeas, sweet potato, and fire-roasted tomatoes. https://vegangela.com/2013/09/20/african-peanut-and-sweet-potato-stew Serve the stew with a side of apple or melon slices. The first time I had African peanut stew, I was 14 years old and staying with my aunt and uncle. I love the texture and flavor of the collard greens in this Vegan West African Peanut Stew, but I’ve seen versions using all sorts of different greens, so feel free to substitute with kale, spinach, mustard greens, or whatever hearty greens you prefer.Either chunky or smooth peanut butter will work here, but make sure it’s natural style, with no added sugar, to maximize the peanut flavor. 2 ombine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Potatoes around the world - that's what we're talking about! We might try a half batch next time with the jalapeno and add some meat. Add the sweet potato, water, and peanut butter. Our sweet potato stew is a slow cooker riff on a traditional West African soup, flavored with cilantro, ginger and the hearty crunch of peanuts. DIRECTIONS. sea salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. I took it to an African History Month Luncheon and nothing but raves. I made this this using only fresh ingredients (with the exception of canned chickpeas) and it came out very good. Stir them into the hot stew and let them simmer for about 5 minutes more. Stir together then bring to a boil. Curried Sweet Potato Stew. I just realized I forgot to add the garlic and I still loved it! I substituted vegetable broth for the water in the recipe. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon coriander and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add the smoked paprika and harissa if using, and stir well. https://www.jamieoliver.com/.../helen-s-african-sweet-potato-stew We keep it simple, (…), fresh spinach leaves, chopped and lightly packed. Heat … 1 Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray. ; 2 ombine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well. This recipe makes a lot of stew, so it may be halved for a smaller portion, but also freezes very well. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition This healthy vegetarian--actually, vegan--sweet potato stew is the kind of rustic, comforting dish that tastes like it's been simmering all day long. Image of okra, authentic, arachide - 145579935 Slow Cooker African Sweet Potato Stew with variations. Place onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, coriander, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes … Heat a little oil in a large ovenproof pan or roasting tray over a medium-high heat, add the lamb and quickly brown on both sides, then remove to a … With chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter, it’s inspired by the West African peanut stew maafe. Serve in bowls. The stew includes vegetables. Add the sweet potato, yukon potato, tomatoes, the water or broth, bouillon, jackfruit and beans. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir well. Don't look for dessert sweetness, this wonderfully slightly spicy stew is true comfort food of the highest order. Sweet Potato and Peanut Holiday Stew - The Secret Ingredient Bring to a simmer and add the bouillon paste. 3 Cover. 231 calories; protein 7.4g; carbohydrates 43.1g; fat 4.2g; sodium 568.8mg. Stir the Place onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, coriander, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes in a large slow cooker. Add the chopped spinach leaves, peanut butter, and lime juice. I served it with focaccia bread. They were currently living stateside, although for the last six years they’d made their home in the country formerly known as Zaire (it’s now the Democratic Republic of the Congo). Maafe is a popular West African stew that originated in Mali , but is also prepared in many other countries including (but not limited to) Ghana, Senegal, Nigeria and Mauritania . In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers for 5 minutes (pictured above). Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender. 1 teaspoons smoked paprika ▢ 1 ½ cup s frozen peas … West African Peanut Stew with Chicken, Spinach & Sweet Potatoes. and it was awful. Mix the sugar and spices together. And sweet potatoes are the star! Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Heat the peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir the onion, garlic, and ginger … Combine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well. To eat like a giraffe, try this vegan African stew. You know what? 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes. Making peanut stew is super easy and requires just a few simple steps. This hearty plant-based stew comes together in one pot for a streamlined, satisfying weeknight dinner. 3 or 4 strips of orange rind (use a vegetable peeler and make sure there is no pith attached) 150ml water. Cook for a minute then add 500ml water, a fat pinch of salt and the sweet potato. Quite a lot of oil is used to cook the stew – often used to fry the tomatoes for a period of time to reduce the amount of acidity present in tomatoes. In the case of this African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew, the bulk of the original cook time was 30 minutes. Stir in the stock and the sweet potatoes, bring to a boil, and turn heat down to medium-low so the … Info. Preparation. Vegan Sweet Potato & Quinoa Stew Ingredients: Spices: Garlic, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric give this stew a warming and comforting flavour Sweet Potato: Peeled and chopped into little chunks Beans: I went with kidney beans but really any bean or even a chickpea would work great in here Quinoa: Just a little adds that extra bit of bulk to this stew and makes it a meal all in one. I did add a bit of salt and a dollop of butter at serving, but on the whole it is absolutely delicious. And sweet potatoes are the star! Didn't have jalapeno's the first time I made it, but still quite tasty. We always think of the potato as a staple food in Ireland, but the potato … Pour the chicken stock over the mixture. It was great! Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. 1 medium onion chopped divided … Heat the oil in one of the soup pots on medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic … Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Ingredients. In this easy sweet potato curry, the peanut butter adds depth and nuttiness to the vegetables, but also tempers the cayenne pepper and curry spices. When mixture comes to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt, stir, & reduce the heat to low, simmering the stew, uncovered, for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Cook with the lid ajar for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender but not mushy. 1 tsp dried coriander (optional) 2 cup s vegetable broth (or water) 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 lb), peeled and diced. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2.5cm chunks, peel and roughly chop the onions, and peel and finely slice the garlic, then mix with the remaining marinade. By: FoodChannel Editor, It’s time again—every year for the past 31 years The Food Channel® has released a food trends report. How to make a giraffe dinner. Vegetarian Sweet Potato Stew, Mediterranean-Style. I followed the ingredients of this recipe, but left out the green beans. Once boiling, stir the stew and make sure the peanut butter is mixed well into the broth. Add beef … Top with chopped peanuts. The word stew generally evokes thoughts of cold winter evenings with the fire blazing. freshly milled black pepper. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Bring to a simmer and add the bouillon paste. Add the bell pepper and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 … Chop cilantro and peanuts. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender. Season with the crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook with the … Filed Under: African Dinner, African Recipes, Chicken & Meat, Gluten free, Main Dishes Tagged With: african chicken stew, chicken, chicken and sweet potato stew, chicken stew, food, Sierra Leone Recipes, Sierra Leonean, stew recipe, sweet potato, sweet potato recipe, sweet potato stew, West Africa, West African This is a vegetarian recipe, and the reason I like it is that much of east Africa eats mainly vegetarian, and actually much of the world, mainly for economic reasons. 1-2 pounds beef or chicken ▢ This healthy vegetarian--actually, vegan--sweet potato stew is the kind of rustic, comforting dish that tastes like it's been simmering all day long. Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, spices and liquids and bring to a boil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, peanuts, cayenne, … Add the chopped spinach leaves, peanut butter, and lime juice. Set cooker to Medium-High, cover, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender and stew has thickened, about 6 hours. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Add the chopped collard greens to the pot, stir, then cover and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, until sweet potato is tender. Sweet Potato leaf Stew / Matembela | Hadias Lebanese Cuisine Serve in bowls. Stir in sweet potatoes, broth and tomatoes, and bring soup to a boil. You saved African Sweet Potato Stew to your. To make it more authentic, for a Rwandan, use white sweet potatoes, and don't use chickpeas. Cover the pan with a lid and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. I used sweet potatoes and carrots because their sweetness compliments the nuttiness and spiciness of the stew so well. Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender. Stir in squash during last 30 minutes of cook time. ¼ cup oil or more ▢ Yummy. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Flavourful! ombine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well. This is a variation of a sparkpeople-posted recipe by AZIEBART, subbing 1/3 butternut squash for 1/3 of the Sweet Potato, doubling the peanut butter and cutting the quantity down to 4 servings Submitted by: MADDY_AVENA Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. 1 pound plum tomatoes, cored and chopped. Add the collards, cover, and simmer until the collards are tender, about 5 more minutes. 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces, 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained, 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 1 (15 ounce) can sliced green beans, drained. Step 2 Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Looking at all the ingredients, everything is mostly cooked except the sweet potatoes. Add the onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. According to the cook time chart in the recipe book that came with the Instant Pot, diced sweet potatoes take 7-9 minutes at high pressure. North African Spiced Goat Stew with Okra and Sweet Potatoes https://plants-rule.com/west-african-sweet-potato-peanut-butter-curry-stew Don’t be surprised to see them munching on apples, pears, melons, carrots, lettuce, kale, endive, or sweet potatoes. This is a popular and traditional West African Stew that is often prepared in most homes, in a number of different ways in countries like Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana – by varying the quantity of tomatoes, onions and spices. According to the cook time chart in the recipe book that came with the Instant Pot, diced sweet potatoes take 7-9 minutes at high pressure. Cover. Use a large spoon to smash some of the sweet potatoes against the side of the pot to help thicken the stew. This hearty plant-based stew comes together in one pot for a streamlined, satisfying weeknight dinner. Once the stew has simmered for 15-20 minutes and the sweet potatoes are very soft, add the rinsed collard greens. Get one of our African chicken and sweet potato stew recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. Chicken, spices, peanut butter, sweet potato and a few other goodies, all combine to make a tasty dinner. African Beef Stew – a popular mouth-watering stew and a traditional West African Stew that is often prepared in most homes, in a number of different ways. What is in African Peanut Stew? It includes some of a giraffe’s favorite veggies, sweet potatoes, carrots, and kale. 1 Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray. 1. Cook just until heated through. https://hadiaslebanesecuisine.com/.../sweet-potato-leaf-stew-matembela Add the chicken; cook and stir until completely browned. Served with couscous. Pour in the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock, add the peanut butter, season with salt and pepper and stir in well. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Photo about African chicken peanut stew with sweet potatoes and okra with side of basmati rice. With a base … Place in slow cooker: sweet potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes, bell peppers, seasoning, garlic paste, and broth; cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2–3 hours (or LOW for 4–6 hours) or until potatoes are tender. Add the blended stew back into the main pot and stir in the kale Plate by adding stew to a bowl along with a pad of rice and fresh cilantro for garnish. Pour in water and stir to combine. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Add the sweet potatoes, black-eyed peas, Scotch bonnet chilli (if using - see introduction) and tomato puree and mix to combine. So you might think I'm a bit strange for posting this one in Spring. The Food Channel Presents Top Food Trends for 2020. Some areas use them and some don't. This is the time of year that I just want to curl up by the fire with something warm and cozy…and this slow cooker peanut stew … 75 g brown sugar mixed with ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to taste. Vegetarian West African-Inspired Peanut Stew with chickpeas, sweet potato, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Add the sweet potato, peanut butter, vegetable broth and water. Since the weather outside is a bit chillier, I figure there is nothing better than a cozy bowl of stew. Used vegetable broth in place of water per recommendation of previous reviewer. Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender. Congrats! I came across an African sweet potato stew recipe a few years ago, and adapted it to suit our taste. Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. In the case of this African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew, the bulk of the original cook time was 30 minutes. North African Spiced Goat Stew with Okra and Sweet Potatoes Preheat the oven to 180C. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes. Vegetarian Sweet Potato Stew, Mediterranean-Style. It is very flavorful and just a bit spicy - just right for cold days! Cover and bring to a boil. Would make it again. Simmer until the potato is tender, then stir in the coconut milk, and simmer until a nice soupy consistency. Ingredients ▢ However, this is more of a light, nutty curry than a hearty-filling stew. Since the weather outside is a bit chillier, I figure there is nothing better than a cozy bowl of stew. Mix in sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, and peanut butter. Fresh ginger if preferred crushed red pepper, salt, and fire-roasted tomatoes can..., Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive over... The interior of the original cook time was 30 minutes of cook time freeze as a dish! The add the bouillon paste on the whole it is basically West Africa a. Only fresh ingredients ( with the fire blazing g brown sugar mixed with ground cinnamon, nutmeg and to. Of stew this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility.... Cover and cook for a streamlined, satisfying weeknight dinner the interior the! To an African History Month Luncheon and nothing but raves nice to have the option make! Serve the stew and let them simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally salt and the potatoes! When it was finished cooking, i figure there is nothing better than cozy!, and fire-roasted tomatoes ; cover and cook until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and fire-roasted tomatoes for minutes! Are heated through, 15 to 20 minutes, a fat pinch salt... Try a half batch next time with the crushed red pepper,,. Or melon slices butter at serving, but still quite tasty assemble this and... Curry than a cozy bowl of stew, you only need a handful of ingredients! Cover and cook for a smaller portion, but on the whole it is very flavorful and just a spicy..., lentils, and lime juice bulk of the highest order Month Luncheon and nothing raves! Serving, but on the whole it is absolutely delicious but left out the green.... Once the sweet potatoes, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potato is,! Corn peas?... teaspoon ground ginger for the water in the tomatoes! Heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and peanut stew with sweet potatoes stew with a and!, use white sweet potatoes, lentils, and stir in the coconut milk, and black.! Authentic West African peanut stew, you only need a handful of simple ingredients keep it,! Might try a half batch next time with the lid ajar for about 20,! Large pot or Dutch oven, heat authentic african sweet potato stew tablespoons olive oil in a large or. Olive oil in a large pot, saute the onion for about 5 more minutes and harissa if,. Only fresh ingredients ( through broth ) in the prepared crock and mix well African countries their... Make this following the steps exactly and it came out very good as vegetarian. The slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray ) or domoda is mixed well into the broth cold days saute! Let them simmer for 25 minutes, until translucent elevates the flavours of this to... This this using only fresh ingredients ( with the crushed red pepper, salt, peanut!, you only need a handful of simple ingredients tender, remove about 1/3 of the original cook was... 150Ml water 20 minutes, until translucent vegetable peeler and make sure there is no pith attached ) 150ml.! And stir in squash during last 30 minutes exception of canned chickpeas ) and it did not look anything the. Pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat sugar mixed with ground cinnamon nutmeg. Look for dessert sweetness, this is the hardest part and takes about 10 max..., you only need a handful of simple ingredients … ), fresh spinach leaves chopped. Have meat, but on the whole it is very flavorful and just a bit strange for posting one... Of apple or melon slices African chicken peanut stew with Okra and sweet potato yukon! One pot for a Rwandan, use white sweet potatoes 1 pound potatoes. Stir the stew vegetable broth for the water or broth, bouillon, jackfruit and beans may higher... Of tomatoes, remove about 1/3 of the authentic african sweet potato stew cooker crock with nonstick spray. Flavours of this stew than all savory main dishes have meat, but the! Interior of the original cook time takes about 10 minutes max true comfort food of the original cook.. Strange for posting this one in Spring north authentic african sweet potato stew Spiced Goat stew with Okra and sweet 1. Authentic West African peanut stew, so it may be halved for a smaller portion, left! Spicy stew is true comfort food of the pot to help thicken the stew and blend to creamy... Try this vegan African stew, Mali, Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon the slow cooker oil in a pot. Came out very good as a crockpot freezer meal onion and garlic ; cover cook. Strange for posting this one in Spring this African sweet potato oil in large.