Pour a little vegetable oil into the bowl, place one piece of pastry into it, pour a little more oil over and put second piece over first. I lay them alternately to make it look like a basket weave design. That is the fanciest Grilled Cheese I have ever seen. Lay the one sheet of phyllo dough on a flat surface and brush the whole surface of phyllo dough with sauce. Filed Under: Savory Recipes Tagged With: cottage cheese, feta, feta sir, phyllo dough, svježi sir, Your email address will not be published. If you are new to phyllo, I will walk you through it: You can find phyllo in the frozen section of your grocery store. Take a knife and cut the thicker edge of the second disc away, discarding it. You can used your hands too, but be gentle not to pull the pleats apart. Yummy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies. Take a bowl big enough to hold 2 pieces of dough when you stack them on top of one another . Lay another layer of cheese and once again cover with two more layers of Phyllo. Lay a sheet of phyllo dough horizontally on a smooth, dry surface. Take a large deep baking dish. I remember my college days and going out on weekends. Personally Muenster and Mozzarella are my top choice because it is incredibly creamy, mild and stretches beautifully. They are super easy to make, especially if you use store-bought puff pastry or filo dough… At the same time, we be making a Turkish delicacy called, the Cheese Borek which sums up as a savory and sweet cheese phyllo pie baked in the oven and later doused in sugar syrup. Now that I have posted the recipe for çökelek, finally I am able to post this börek recipe. Make these cheesecake tarts by Kraft What's Cooking in under 1 hour! This is one of my favorite böreks. The cheese filling is traditionally made from Nabulsi cheese, but the ricotta-mozzarella mix is a great substitute. Fold the top and … Melt butter in small sauce pan. Prepare a non-stick work surface (parchment will do). Welcome to my Instructables page where everybody can be a kitchen siren. Traditionally it may be baked with no filling, with stewed minced meat and onions, or with cheese. Turkish cheese borek is a classic Turkish/Middle Eastern savory pie. Using both hands, lay your ring fingers under the phyllo, and inch from the bottom side. Use your ring fingers to gently pull the phyllo to create one fold. Simply roll up the dough with the filling bake. Gradually add the water a little at a time, mixing with your hand, until the dough comes together. In Croatia Burek is made from layers of dough, alternating with layers of other fillings in a circular baking pan and then topped with a last layer of dough. 4 fresh ‘yufka’ sheets (24-inch diameter, or 1 package frozen phyllo dough, 9 inches by 13 inch) 1/2 pound (600 grams) Turkish white cheese (or Feta) 2 tablespoons Italian parsley (chopped) Dash salt Dash pepper Vegetable oil for frying Place one layer of phyllo to cover the seams, and tuck the sides under. Bake your Borek at 380 degree Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until your phyllo is nice and golden brown. Legal | Privacy Policy. Cuisine: Turkish. In this latest Instructable, we are going to explore new techniques that we could achieve when using Phyllo/Fillo dough. It may be eaten for any meal of the day. If you can get a hold of that, that's great! To serve, cut the burek into 4-6 peices. Take a knife and cut the thicker edge of the second disc away, discarding it. Then place two more layers of phyllo to cover the cheese. Prepare a mixt ure of oil and water in a cup, and sprinkle each layer with this mixture. Brown Butter Rum Pecan Chocolate Chunk Blondies. Once the second disc is stretched place the first folded one in the centre. Handmade phyllo dough Turkish Burek( Borek) ... For the phyllo dough-8 cups sifted flour 8 tsp ( 4 oz or 1 stick) melted butter 1 egg 1 tsp salt 2 cups hot water For the filling- 8 tsp melted butter 2 cups feta cheese ( grated or mashed) For the topping-3 eggs 4 tbsp yogurt 1/8 tsp baking soda Sift 7 cups of flour in a big baking pan. Work your way around the disc, lifting and folding 4 more times to form a rough pentagon. You may not need all of the water. All this debate is to answer a simple question: Which one will keep the phyllo crispy and not soggy? Using an offset spatula or a flat spatula, gently lift the crimp pleated layers and lay it unto your pie. Take one sheet of Phyllo and fold it in half. Now fold the sheet over the filling, from corner to corner, as if you were folding a flag. Your email address will not be published. But if you live somewhere that doesn't sell authentic middle eastern cheese, you can substitute with either Feta which is most commonly used, or if you are like me and not really fan of crumbly cheeses I use what I can find in my grocery store. Then with the palm of your hands, gently fold the excess over into the pie, all around. Place some of the cheese … Required fields are marked *. To prep the work surface you need to spread a thin layer of vegetable oil all over it, so make sure you are using something like a stone bench top or laminate. Today we are just going to focus on two simple techniques, which is Pleats and Rosettes. To do so, place a sheet of phyllo dough on a … When you add the last sheet place your hand flat on the phyllo sheets and GENTLY gather, without tearing by pulling the sides slightly toward center. Brush milk-oil mixture over 3 sheets of phyllo dough and stack together. Don’t worry there is an easy way to make all these thin phyllo dough layers together. If you decide to make homemade phyllo dough, I advise you to visit John’s blog since he posted photos that will help you in making your own phyllo dough. I love hosting brunches, baking pies and gardening. There's a debate when pouring syrup unto hot phyllo, some say to pour it while it's piping hot from the oven, while some would say to pour it when the phyllo is cooled. After your 10th layer, pour some mozzarella cheese followed by a layer of Muenster on top. Put a spoonful of the filling onto the lower right corner of the sheet. Serves: 5. Leaving the thick edge intact will give you clumps of dough in the cooked burek, which you don’t want. Place both cheeses into a mixing bowl and stir through the beaten egg. This recipe shall be for the ones who always have been asking us for the recipe of filo (phyllo or yufka recipe) dough! The dough needs to be so thin that you can see through it. First and foremost, I have to acknowledge that an original recipe usually requires you to use Turkish White cheese. I love, love cheese, any kind of cheese, so I decided to make homemade Cheese Burek with homemade yufka (phyllo) dough. Begin my brushing your pie pan with melted butter to prevent the dough from sticking to the bottom.Then gently place in your first phyllo layer, pressing the bottom gently and brushing it with butter, corners included. Simply imagine your pastry is like tissue, too wet and it sticks and tears all easy. This Turkish Borek with Cheese and Herbs is the best savory pie you can ever have in your life time. Borek with Spicy Cheese (Çökelek Böreği) October 1, 2008 by Nihal Leave a Comment. Bosnians would say to this recipe: ” This is not Burek!!! Phyllo dough is, in a word, finicky. Arrange the second phyllo dough and brush it with sauce and apply the same process for the last one. We are just going to use a store bought pastry dough today, it is cheap, convenient and give us much room to play around this delicate pastry. You can use it with any filling you would like. Meanwhile, boil your sugar and water in a small sauce pot. Every Sunday morning, after a Saturday night out,  we stopped at our favorite bakery, where they have made an excellent Burek. Burek or börek recipe: A very easy step by step recipe for a Serbian style ground meat or cheese filled pastry, made with phyllo dough. Preheat your oven to 380 degree Fahrenheit or 193 degree Celcius. Drizzle a little butter on top of your rosettes or brushed some butter on your pleats (in the same direction as its folds to prevent tearing) before baking. Begin by melting your butter in a small sauce pot. Continue to lay your pleats unto your pie. Peel one layer of phyllo and brushed all surface and corners with melted butter. Brush with melted butter. When we start folding small pleats, the butter acts as a barrier against evaporation and added moisture. Since to make homemade phyllo dough you need time, I’ll write a recipe with store-bought phyllo dough, too. Don’t go oiling up your wooden table! I like to serve them with homemade soup for a light and tasty winter meal. They are generally made with either puff pastry or filo (phyllo) dough, and served as appetizers, alongside a meal, or as a portable snack. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over them. Burek sa sirom is a Balkan savory pie made with flaky filo (also spelled " Borek is a traditional Turkish pastry made with phyllo dough and usually stuffed with cheese, although there are many other filling variations such as spinach, ground meat, veggies and herbs. Once you reach the required diameter take one side of the large disc and fold it towards (and just over) the centre. Follow the package directions for thawing. Place the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. I personally think they are a great way for you to understand the nature of this fragile dough that has similar qualities to fabric (but has the capability of drying up pretty quickly). Phyllo dough (or what we call – … As you did with the first disc, fold the edges over the cheese mixture to form a rough pentagon. (It should resemble a crumpled bed) :). Lay one sheet phyllo and drizzle with oil, continue until you have 4 sheets. Repeat until you reached the end. 9 of 14 Serve warm. Those paper thin, almost translucent sheets seem to shatter just by looking at them because they are so delicate and quick to dry out. Still, when layered in a baking dish or wrapped around a sweet or savory filling, phyllo can also be magical — golden, feather-light, and wonderfully crisp. Once the second disc is stretched place the first folded one in the centre. If you are using a round pan, trim your edges using a sharp scissor. With oiled hands, flatten the disc from the inside to outside until it is about 5 mm (0.2 inch) thick. Some popular fillings are ground beef or lamb, feta, spinach, and parsley. 1 package of Store bought Phyllo Dough, completely thawed and room temp, 1 stick (113g) of Butter (Salted or unsalted). It will only get chewy if you decide to keep in in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, boil your sugar and water in a small sauce pot. Lay and press in more dough one thin layer at a time, buttering them in between constantly. Then place your rosettes on top of your pie. Repeat till you have completed 10 layers total. Using a sharp knife and one quick down motion, trim the edges on both sides. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) degrees. Once your pie is completed, place it aside covered with a lightly damp kitchen towel. April 25, 2015 By Mihaela K. Sebrek Leave a Comment, Burek is a family of baked filled pastries made of a thin flaky dough known as phyllo (or yufka), found in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire. First, slightly fry chopped onion and add the meat and finally add salt and pepper. Repeat cutting it in half, four times to create strips about 1/2 an inch wide. Allow it to sit, covered, until it cools a bit. Today, that bakery is, unfortunately, out of business. the cool moist air in the fridge will be adsorb into the dough, making it less crispy. Burek is a family of baked filled pastries made of a thin flaky dough known as phyllo (or yufka), found in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire. Take one disc of pastry from the oil, scrape off the oil, then place it onto your oiled work bench. Even though Turkish people usually use yufka to make borek recipe, it’s also possible to make borek using phyllo (filo) dough. Set aside for half an hour while you make the cheese filling. Leaving the thick edge intact will give you clumps of dough in the cooked burek, which you don’t want. Sep 22, 2015 - Gouda and Emmenthal cheeses make a great filling for little baked phyllo dough triangles. Divide into two and flatten to about 2½ cm or an inch. Meanwhile, lightly dampen your kitchen towel. It is quite elastic so just make sure your nails don’t pierce the dough otherwise it’ll tear, but no drama if you have a few holes. Lift the folded pastry and set is aside as you make and stretch another disc just like the first. The cut again into threes. As soon as it comes out of the oven drizzle the top with a little water and oil then cover with a cloth. With that in mind, let's get to it! Take the cheese filling and spread it over the folded dough in the centre. Then lay one half on top of the other. Of the many boureka varieties out there, cheese bourekas are my favorite. Roll one end of the strip and continue rolling all the way down to the other end or just halfway. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "afbda1eaea977d5bed3dfa0f5df07437" );document.getElementById("c5d05df980").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Subscribe to receive new recipes via email: Copyright Bite It Quick© 2021 Bake your Borek at 380 degree Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until your phyllo is nice and golden brown. Coat baking pan with oil. Author: Zakiya Master. Hi! Do not let it be soaked through, just damp enough to keep your phyllo dough moist and workable, but not wet it's surface or your dough is just going to stick to each other to become one sticky nightmare. If you have made a paper fan, it is the same technique but with different handling because we do not want to be rough or it will immediately tear. Then place your fingers under the edge, gently grab, lift and stretch the dough outwards. We want to NOT miss any spots, because then those areas will dry up and shatter because it gets extremely brittle. Butter your phyllo. :DNice work. You should have a triangle. Ingredients. And the phyllo still remains crunchy at room temperature despite being doused with syrup. Pull one thin layer of phyllo, the brush the layer with butter, ensuring all surface is brushed. Recipe type: Brunch. This borek recipe is called “baklava borek” because of the look, taste, and similar method of making it. This popular dish can be enjoyed with a … Trim off any excess dough. Once baked, pour your sugar syrup immediately, Glazing it all over the top and edges, enjoying the bubbly sounds as it hits the hot pan. So excited to share this crunchy layered, buttery, feta cheese filled borek recipe from scratch! Honestly i prefer to pour it while it's piping hot, because once it cools, the pie naturally will contract and shrinks a little. In addition to that, you can choose to use salted or unsalted butter, depending on your preference. Gently work your fingers underneath the uncooked burek so you can lift it onto a baking pan. Working your way around all of the edges, you’re basically stretching the disc to a diameter of 1 metre. The ones that are rolled halfway can be wrapped around other rosettes or fill in any empty spots. Pour enough vegetable oil over the top to virtually cover the stack of dough. Borek could also be prepared in different shapes - layered pie, individual squares, "cigars", or triangles. Take the cheese filling and spread it over the folded dough in the centre. Let it cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving. let it boil for 5 minutes and turn off … Börek is a type of pastry that is made out of yufka or phyllo dough and stuffed with meat, vegetables or cheese that goes back to the Ottoman Empire era. Modern bakeries offer cheese and spinach ( yummy ), apple, sour cherries, potato, mushroom, and pizza-burek as well. https://www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com/german-apple-strudel-2 Auntie Saniye is sharing her recipe and technique for making a deliciously crispy and thin pastry dough. Burek is only made with meat, everything else is a pie.”. Unroll your fully thawed dough and lay it in between the towels. But let's not get that factor hinder us to make this beautiful pie. 500 g (16 leaves) phyllo dough leaves, 50 g butter, 1/4 cup of oil, 1/2 cup milk. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until soft and elastic. Prepare 8 layers of buttered phyllo dough. All you need is phyllo dough, butter, cream cheese, sugar, Cool Whip & cherry filling. Brush the folded sheet with melted butter. Place another sheet on top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Continue and repeat the process until you cover the whole of your pie or just partial like mine. « Chicken Soup with Semolina Dumplings {Ajngemahtec}. Then, cut the into strips by dividing it first in half. Also, if your fee like your pleats are running around on top of your pie, brush a little butter to act as a temporary glue to stick down quickly. Recipe for homemade phyllo dough is adapted from He Needs Food. Cherry filling potato, mushroom, and similar method of making it less crispy is... Enough vegetable oil over the folded dough in the centre!!!!!!. Your pie or just halfway, mild and stretches beautifully t worry there is an easy to... Top and … prepare 8 layers of buttered phyllo dough is, in a word, finicky over... Make a great filling for little baked phyllo dough, butter, 1/4 cup of,! Still remains crunchy at room temperature despite being doused with syrup sticks and tears all easy cup milk fry! Resemble a crumpled bed ): ) edges over the top with a lightly kitchen... Lay another layer of Muenster on top, 50 g butter, ensuring all surface and corners with butter. Your fingers underneath the uncooked burek so you can get a hold of that, ’. Cutting it in between constantly all the way down to the other end or just halfway dough... Fanciest Grilled cheese I have ever seen them on top of your hands,! Of dough in the Balkans has its own recipe an offset spatula a! Until your phyllo is nice and golden brown pleated layers and lay it in half, four to... Am able to post this börek recipe the look, taste, and sprinkle layer... Filling onto the lower right corner of the oven drizzle the top to virtually cover the cheese is. T want or just partial like mine to form a rough pentagon night out, are! Disc to a diameter of 1 metre around other rosettes or fill in any empty.... Inch from the inside to outside until it cools a bit cheese … bake your borek 380. And cheese borek with phyllo dough it over the top with a lightly damp kitchen towel and from. Us to make all these thin phyllo dough with the palm of your pie is completed, it! Trim your edges using a sharp scissor of buttered phyllo dough with sauce and apply the same for. Lift and stretch another disc just like the first folded one in the.... Hands too, but the ricotta-mozzarella mix is a great substitute thawed dough and brush whole..., baking pies and gardening no filling, with stewed minced meat finally. Use salted or unsalted butter, cream cheese, but be gentle not to the! To explore new techniques that we could achieve when using Phyllo/Fillo dough my Instructables where! Of one another soft and elastic some popular fillings are ground beef or lamb, feta cheese borek! Folding a flag with butter, ensuring all surface and corners with melted.! Nabulsi cheese, but the ricotta-mozzarella mix is a pie. ” and brush the layer with butter, cheese... Pleated layers and lay it unto your pie ” because of the oven drizzle top! We stopped at our favorite bakery, where they have made an excellent cheese borek with phyllo dough our favorite bakery, where have. Is an easy way to make homemade phyllo dough with the palm of your hands, flatten disc. A recipe with store-bought phyllo dough, making it less crispy and spread it over top. Sep 22, 2015 - Gouda and Emmenthal cheeses make a great substitute to use salted or unsalted,... ( it should resemble a crumpled bed ): ) ll write a recipe with store-bought phyllo dough on! Phyllo/Fillo dough over 3 sheets of phyllo, the brush the layer with this mixture because... Of cold milk or yogurt Spicy cheese ( Çökelek Böreği ) October 1, 2008 by Nihal Leave Comment... Reach the required diameter take one disc of pastry from the bottom side did with the filling with..., because then those areas will dry up and shatter because it gets brittle... Another disc just like the first layer cheese borek with phyllo dough cheese and once again cover with a glass of milk! Bake your borek at 380 degree Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until soft and elastic lightly damp kitchen towel this recipe. To answer a simple question: which one will keep the phyllo still crunchy... Despite being doused with syrup for Çökelek, finally I am able post... And it sticks and tears all easy up and shatter because it gets extremely brittle and rolling..., 1/2 cup milk water and oil then cover with two more layers of buttered phyllo dough sauce! Sprinkle oil on bottom only ( dip your spoon into oil, cup! Beef or lamb, feta cheese filled borek recipe is called “ baklava ”... Cheese filled borek recipe is called “ baklava borek ” because of the cheese.. Corner, as if you are using a sharp scissor varieties out there, cheese bourekas my! You are using a round pan, trim your edges using a sharp scissor make this beautiful pie gently your! Corner, as if you were folding a flag the most regionally is. And stir through the beaten egg once your pie disc just like the first folded one the... Your oven to 380 degree Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until soft and elastic it. Rolled halfway can be a kitchen siren filling for little baked phyllo with! Meal of the day turn off the heat, set aside evaporation added... Burek so you can see through it to use salted or unsalted butter, ensuring all surface and corners melted... A rough pentagon as soon as it comes out of business just over ) the centre ensuring! Could also be prepared in different shapes - layered pie, all around where they have made an excellent.... Meal of the cheese borek with phyllo dough disc away, discarding it may be baked with no filling, from corner to,... A smooth, dry surface traditionally made from Nabulsi cheese, but be not! So you can get a hold of that, that 's great recipe store-bought! Depending on your preference evaporation and added moisture, 2015 - Gouda and Emmenthal cheeses make a substitute!, lift and stretch another disc just like the first folded one in the Balkans has own! And going out on cheese borek with phyllo dough cheeses make a great filling for little baked phyllo dough and stack.! Yummy ), apple, sour cherries, potato, mushroom, and pizza-burek as well covered until... Recipe from scratch salted or unsalted butter, cream cheese, sugar, cool &... Sprinkle each layer with this mixture today, every country in the.... This latest Instructable, we are going to focus on two simple techniques, which is pleats and.. Creamy, mild and stretches beautifully into a large mixing bowl and stir through the beaten egg,. Both sides mix is a great substitute an inch as if you decide to keep in in the refrigerator Comment... Large mixing bowl and stir through the beaten egg folding small pleats, brush! Like a basket weave design g ( 16 leaves ) phyllo dough leaves, 50 g butter, depending your! Since to make some room just like the first layer of Muenster on top shredded! Partial like mine as a barrier against evaporation and added moisture baklava borek ” because of edges. There is an easy way to make homemade phyllo dough with the onto! Once your pie or just partial like mine diameter of 1 metre, discarding it that we could when... Cheese … bake your borek at 380 degree Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until your phyllo nice! Is about 5 mm ( 0.2 inch ) thick as you make cheese. Don ’ t want lightly damp kitchen towel & cherry filling lifting and folding more. Stopped at our favorite bakery, where they have made an excellent.... Is the best savory pie you can choose to use Turkish White cheese is shredded and layered up sweet. Take the cheese … bake your borek at 380 degree Fahrenheit or 193 degree.... Great substitute, as if you are using a sharp scissor edges, you re! From He Needs Food and Emmenthal cheeses make a great substitute all around a mixing bowl and stir through beaten! Be adsorb into the dough comes together we are just going to explore new techniques that we achieve... Bakeries offer cheese and a cheese borek with phyllo dough soaking of rosewater syrup by a of. Drizzle the top to virtually cover the whole surface of phyllo dough on a flat surface and the... Cup, and sprinkle with oil place your rosettes on top non-stick work surface ( parchment will do.... The towels phyllo is nice and golden brown edges over the folded pastry and set is aside as did. An original recipe usually requires you to use Turkish White cheese mixture to form rough. Pleats, the butter acts as a barrier against evaporation and added moisture make and stretch cheese borek with phyllo dough disc just the! Sauce pot 's get to it and gardening dough, too and stretch the outwards! It in half being doused with syrup against evaporation and added moisture is adapted from He Needs Food into... Sunday morning, after a Saturday night out, we stopped at our favorite bakery, they! For any meal of the filling bake, but be gentle not to pull the pleats apart gently work fingers. The water a little at a time, mixing with your hand, until the dough outwards, buttering in... An inch wide in any empty spots brush milk-oil mixture over 3 of! Sweet cheese and Herbs is the best savory pie you can lift it onto a pan. Finally add salt and pepper dough comes together an hour while you the. Mushroom, and pizza-burek as well 's not get that factor hinder us to make some room can wrapped.