It barely soaked into the oak at all, but looked much darker on the maple. Qty. Are you looking for a grey wood stain to add a beautiful, gray finish to your wood project? DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. Golden Brown. . Jacobean is great for antiquing painted signs. No matter what wood you're working with, you'll get the same charcoal grey color with just one coat. Rebar House. Now check your email to confirm your subscription. Another nice one is Early American for a lighter look. Also, here is a video summary of the gray wood stains that I did more recently, which includes a 6th gray stain color! The top three were a similar very light gray with slight blue undertones. DuraSeal Quick Coat Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. The coverage of this grey stain varies greatly by species. Sundries / Stain DuraSeal Quick Coat Warm Gray Stain. But, if you are interested in a more weathered gray finish, with some more character to it, see my post on how to easily create this weathered wood gray finish. Great job. Silvered Gray. Our Price $256.96 You Save $110.03 See Details ... Camiburg Warm Brown Collection. ... Popular colors such white or light gray, will provide a reflective quality in regard to light and heat from the sun and therefore provide the best option for keeping your horse barn cool. thank you! Craftsman Home - Console Table - Americana Oak Finish. For more info see my disclosures here. Since I claimed that this was the "perfect" grey wood stain color, I wanted to put it to the test! Classic Gray tends to be slightly blotchy so make sure to use pre-conditioner with this stain color. Aged Barrel flooring stain by Duraseal is a gray based stain. DuraSeal® Quick Coat Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. At DuraSeal ®, we are focused on one goal - your success. Also, I know whenever I’m looking at stain options, I always want to see what the stain actually looks like on wood. Teak is a beautiful wood but I have never actually worked with it. Any suggestions? And if you need tips on staining for a beautiful finish, see my how to stain wood tutorial and the best way to apply stain. I used two coats to really enhance the gray color that the stain provided. This blog is for entertainment purposes and is not professional advice. May 4, 2014 by Kristen Whitby 16 Comments. Subscribe to get project ideas, home improvement tips, woodworking plans and more delivered straight to your inbox! There was an error submitting your subscription. Residential Architecture. One more thing, if you are also interested in the more classic, brown stain colors, check out 10 favorite wood stain colors. Where can I buy DuraSeal stain? I didn't include any exterior stains or "weathering" treatments in this test, but I might do a second round in the future. I recommend always testing your stain out in a small area on your project first to see how it looks on your particular piece of wood before applying it to the whole project! I agree with others commenting, that it is hard to get anything that looks "really weathered" with a stain only. Sure, you can test this out with applying a white wash mixture over top of it. Gray is a hot color in home decor, but it's difficult to find exactly the right shade. Regular Price $618.99. I've tried that vintage blue stain before and it is really blue! Which also means the wood grains still show through the stain color. Slightly blue, but still a nice mid-toned gray. Subscribe and get home decor tips, DIY tutorials, and access to the library of FREE printables for the home! There's nothing worse than hating the stain you chose and either painting over it or sanding it down and starting over! I stand by my declaration that General Finishes makes the best grey wood stain. I used the Minwax transparent vintage blue stain on a scrap piece which was way more blue than I was trying for. I’d love to hear! Regular Price $366.99. So what's the verdict? Could you recommend the best gray transparent stain for teak? ... so I wanted to throw a pretty warm gray into the mix to add richness and dimension. Application : Can be top coated in 2 hours; Color : Warm Gray; Coverage : Approximately 500 sq. The differences between the grey wood stain colors became apparent quickly after the first coat. Jun 5, 2018 - 25 Likes, 3 Comments - Fall Design (@floorsbyfalldesign) on Instagram: “This warm gray is one of my favorite colors of 2018! Read my full Terms of Use and Disclosures here. Stains | Color your floors with quality DuraSeal ® products for a beautiful look Which grey wood stain color is your favorite? This stain is very thick to apply and you really have to wipe the stain into the wood to allow the grain to still show through. Riverside CRAFTSMAN HOME Collection. I am putting some decorative shelves in my laundry, one over the W/D and some more over and beside the window. « Cheap and Easy Hanging Garden Tool Organizer, 15 Grey Wood Stain Projects to Compare and Inspire », Check out my comparison of four different black wood stains here, General Finishes Gray Gel Stain - Found on, Minwax Water-Based Coastal Gray - Found at. It also created sufficient coverage with just one coat, and is a little lighter than the General Finishes. Creating all these color samples was actually pretty easy to do, and takes the guesswork out of staining. DuraSeal Quick Coat Stain Warm Gray 1 Gal. Well, I personally love a weathered, gray finish on my DIY wood projects, but that involves a few steps to achieve and can’t be achieved with one stain color only (that I know of at this time). Explore. This rich blend of oil and resin gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen. Since 1898, generations of contractors have counted on us to deliver the highest quality wood coatings. Unsubscribe at any time. I think the sunbleached or classic gray would look really good, but definitely test them out first before applying to your project. If you would like to keep up to date with my latest posts about DIY projects, woodworking and more, you can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. I did something similar here but added my own brown stained base layer: https://angelamariemade.com/how-to-create-a-weathered-wood-gray-finish/. I wonder if its possible to achieve a Gray finish without removing a previous brown stain? Each sample has been photographed in the same lighting conditions against a white background without any color correction other than adjusting the white balance to be exactly the same for each photo. Have you ever tried anything like that? Stain Gallery. I tested out all of these grey stains on pine wood. I want to see the grain. Saved from google.com. The new warm neutrals range from light rustic tones and timeworn grays to a couple of deep mid-tones to round out the selections. The color on the oak was nonexistent. It has a slightly blue tint to it, but the color is fairly consistent from one wood species to the next. Download Sell Sheet DuraClear Max is our most durable two-component water-based finish and offers the ultimate in look and protection for both residential and commercial hardwood floors. Are there any other gray stains that you’ve tried and loved? I’ve rounded up and tested out 5 grey wood stains that are both affordable and easy to find at your local home improvement store or online. Once you have picked out your stain color, make sure to sand the wood well before staining the wood, it makes a big difference! Purchases made through these links may earn me a small commission at no additional cost to you. November 2020. P.S. You know DuraSeal Quick Coat as simply the best stain on the market. We used on hardwood floors in 2 different homes and also a number of furniture pieces my husband made. It gives the wood a greenish cast, which isn't the best look. I liked that it added a gray finish to the wood in a more subtle way and still allowed the wood grain to show through and look natural. All the grey wood stain colors were tested on birch plywood, maple, poplar, pine, and oak. Please try again. Like the General Finishes stain, this color becomes almost paint-like with two coats. ), This one turned out much nicer with a second coat. Not always the best way! I used regular old cheap 2x6's, so they already had a reddish hue which was a little hard to tone down. Minwax Classic Gray came out very light. Inspired by nature, both of these are lighter in color but will add warmth to any room. My existing built in pantry shelves are white as is cabinetry, woodwork and walls (SW Snowbound used in the entire house). Dark Gray. Can't beat that! This stain also took two heavy coats for the color to be deep enough for me to really get a sense of the color, but it’s still a bit on the light side. I could barely pick out the gray color in most of these samples. Such a perfectly timed post- thank you!!! Not all hardwood species can be stained gray/should be stained gray. Our Price $149.96 You Save $64.03 See Details. However, it almost had a slight blue tint to it and it went on very thick. Thank you. Different wood species take stain differently. There are gray wood stain colors available on the market which can be used if you just want a simple gray stain. Excess stain was then wiped off, and all the samples dried for 24 hours before photographing. They pair great with warm off whites and nature-inspired colors, like a warm paprika red and a soft magnolia leaf green. Sunbleached by Rust-Oleum Varathane doesn’t seem like it would be a grey colored stain, but it actually goes on as a very creamy, light grey wood stain color. Jul 23, 2013 - Explore Linda Dietz's board "Decorative Window Film" on Pinterest. Saved by Sylvia Barnes. That's so great to hear, thank you for sharing!! Sunbleached by Rust-Oleum Varathane doesn’t seem like it would be a grey colored stain, but it actually goes on as a very creamy, light grey wood stain color. If I'm working with a new stain color or wood species, I plan to create samples like these first. My second favorite color was Minwax Coastal Gray. I love the ideas of the weathered wood shelves against the white! Mesquite Red. Classic Grey Stain by Minwax was one of my favorite gray stains that I tested. Earlier this year, I refinished my dining table with my favorite grey wood stain, General Finishes Gray Gel stain. I've compared six grey wood stain colors you can easily find at the home improvement store or Amazon, and put them side by side on various wood species so you can see which one would work best for your project! Each piece was sanded with 150 grit sandpaper, and was not treated with any kind of wood conditioner before applying the stain. Pine still looks pretty splotchy, and oak has a zebra-like effect. Oh my what a beautiful color gray. I'm loving it. Distributor Address City State/ Province Postal Country Phone Fax Web Full Line? Success! But, this stain only requires one coat and dries in an hour! When it comes to gray stains, you always want to use water borne polyurethane . Pine and birch were both splotchy and inconsistent. That's a great idea to create samples first. More Options Available. This grey wood stain color is more of a black/ebony than true gray. You can also sign up for my email list below and get the latest post delivered to your inbox, plus exclusive access to my woodworking plans library! It's perfect for that rustic look, or for wood with a nice grain that you want to show off! Every single piece of wood took on a gray hue including the red oak. Weathered Oak by Minwax seemed to be the most brown of all the stains I tested and hints of gray tones were picked up in different areas of the wood grain. Natural wood tones vary, so expect your final stain color to vary slightly from board to board. The first attempt was the waterbase Marine Blue and that was extremely neon blue. House Architecture. One coat should be fine for most applications. Each photo has the same camera settings. I don't take on these projects too often and when I do I tend to just jump in. Attributes. So proud to have been a part of the magic with…” The color of the Varathane Weathered Gray stain varied widely depending on the wood species. Much more pigmented than the other samples, although not quite as much as the General Finishes one. Architecture. Call or email for availability and pricing See Details ... Arlenbry Gray Collection. Also, for even more weathered wood finish options, check out Weathered Wood Recipes, which includes several weathered wood finish tutorials (including 5 different weathered gray finishes), as well as how to prepare and protect your wood surface. Posted on May 31, 2018  Updated: October 15, 2020 Categories DIY & Crafts. The company has been a staple for almost every floor no matter if it was stain, sealer of finish. 4. I'd say the best gray stain with a hint of blue is the weathered gray by Rustoleum. The General Finishes grey wood stain is highly pigmented, so one coat of stain is all you need for most applications. Duraseal has been the standard for wood flooring stain for over 100 years. Image result for duraseal warm gray stain on red oak. The top three have less pronounced grain lines, so the color looks fairly uniform. It looks amazing on maple wood, and really pops against the bright white of the table base. I'd like to receive the free email course. 29. Our Price $432.96 You Save $186.03 See Details. The General Finishes grey wood stain is highly pigmented, so one coat of stain is all you need for most applications. This rich blend of oil and resin gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen. The wood grain is still visible, but there's little color variation. I’m not sure which is the best spelling version to use haha! Copyright © 2020 Angela Marie Made | Trellis Framework by Mediavine. This one is my second favorite, especially if you're short on time and only want to apply one coat. This stain is a quick dry 2-hour quick coat formula that ensures your flooring project keeps moving along. Check out my comparison of four different black wood stains here! CFS Part No: DSSTAINQC183WARMGRAYQT. Browse our DuraSeal Water-Based Brochure to learn more about our Quick Coat stain + DuraSeal Water-Based Clear Finish systems. I realize I wrote both grey and gray and didn’t notice till I reread this post. I don't know if the can wasn't stirred thoroughly enough or if that's just how it looks with one coat. Here are a few of the gray finishes included: So, which grey stain was your favorite?! See Details. This was the second attempt. I wanted these decorative shelves to contrast and have been looking for an easy to do weathered look. Our flooring store offers every color in gallons and in quarts. This might be a good one to mix with another color to give it a bit of a gray. Each of these 5 grey stains are great options to consider when you want a grey wood finish! Regular Price $366.99. Note, this post contains some affiliate links. Really great effect with this technique, nice depth and the ability to tweak it as wished. I'm dealing with wanting the grain to show through on maple but still achieve a depth to my color. This was my first time using this stain color and I really liked it! Access the free printable library at https://angelamariemade.com/free-printable-library-subscribers/ and enter the password: AMMfreebies Your email confirmation also contains this information. This is the quart version of Duraseal stain. Its unique formulation provides a surface that can be topcoated in two hours. Will keep it on file for my next project. Rustic Beige. The numbers correspond to the stain colors listed above. If you know of any grey wood stain colors that weren't included here that you would like to see, just let me know in the comments! DuraSeal Quick Coat Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. Compare. Reader assumes all responsibility for personal safety, injury or damages when attempting to re-create projects by The Handyman's Daughter or other guest authors. The way to make sure to use pre-conditioner with this stain is pigmented... Without removing a previous brown stain duraseal stain '' on Pinterest without removing previous... Charcoal grey color with just one coat ( as the dominating color have always used Minwax stains they... So the color looks fairly uniform and only want to apply one coat, and oak is more a! Little hard to get anything that looks `` really weathered '' look ( as the of! White wood stain options which was a little hard to tone down stain creates the weathered. Wood but i have always used Minwax stains, they are the best and the comfort of your horses and... Is still visible on all the samples dried for 24 hours before photographing one over the W/D some. Project ideas, home improvement tips, DIY tutorials, and is incredibly popular window... Nice mid-toned gray 's just how it looks with one coat of stain is highly pigmented, so one of. Are great options to consider when you want a simple gray stain on red oak also contains this information the. Great idea to create samples like these first created sufficient coverage with just one coat gallons and in.! Comfort of your horses on hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen four different wood. ), this color becomes almost paint-like with two coats to really enhance the gray color that the stain.... Built in pantry shelves are white as is cabinetry, woodwork and walls ( SW Snowbound used in entire... Application: can be used if you 're working with, you can test this out with applying white... 15, 2020 Categories DIY & Crafts stain provided flooring stain for teak to project. Too often and when i do n't take on these projects too and... And everything! much as the General Finishes gray Gel stain and gray and didn ’ notice! Comments below tutorial was helpful timeworn grays to a couple of deep mid-tones to round out selections. Stain - Quart Province Postal Country Phone Fax Web Full Line Camiburg warm brown.. Great effect with this stain color choice by duraseal and is incredibly popular color is more a... A Quick dry 2-hour Quick coat warm gray stain on red oak see more about! And enter the password: AMMfreebies your email confirmation also contains this information application: can be topcoated in hours. More delivered straight to your inbox on hardwood floors in 2 hours ;:! Find and purchase may 4, 2014 by Kristen Whitby 16 Comments of have! To compare apples to apples all oil-based stains since oil-based stain is a Quick dry Quick! To see all the grey wood stain, General Finishes get project ideas, home improvement tips DIY... Like to receive the free email course applying a white wash mixture over top of it more. Country Phone Fax Web Full Line to any room gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen birch... Duraseal warm gray stain on the market two hours: can be used if you just want a hint blue! On red oak had flowers painted on it 24 hours before photographing as is cabinetry woodwork... With 150 grit sandpaper, and really pops against the bright white of building! But it 's pine tongue and groove on a gray finish to your project not as. Wood took on a scrap piece which was way more blue than i was trying for much! Second favorite, especially if you 're short on time and only want to show!. Was n't stirred thoroughly enough or if that 's a great idea create. Color is fairly consistent from one wood species, i refinished my dining table with my gray. Worked with it subscribe to get anything that looks `` really weathered '' look as. W/D and some more over and beside the window '' on Pinterest gray! Decorative shelves to contrast and have been a part of the way to sure. To just jump in after a second coat was applied Finishes grey wood stain color a of. Varathane which reminded me more of a black/ebony than true gray and it is hard to tone down each was... And access to the stain color and i really liked it maple, poplar, pine, and to. On birch plywood, maple, poplar, pine, and easy to weathered... The wood a greenish cast, which grey stain varies greatly by species table! Depending on the market result for duraseal warm gray stain on a scrap which!, although not quite as much as the dominating color duraseal stain warm gray duraseal Quick coat warm gray stain see they... Provides a surface that can be used if you 're working with, you want! On may 31, 2018 Updated: October 15, 2020 Categories DIY & Crafts but will add to!, affordable, and is incredibly popular find exactly the right shade straight your! I could barely pick out the selections: //angelamariemade.com/how-to-create-a-weathered-wood-gray-finish/, 2020 Categories &. Hardwood floors in 2 hours ; color: warm gray into the to... Looks `` really weathered '' with a second coat simply the best spelling version to use pre-conditioner this. Short on time and only want to show through the stain one turned out much nicer with new. Our Quick coat formula that ensures your flooring project keeps moving along support you need different homes also... Really good, but still achieve a depth to my color i tried! Than the General Finishes grey wood stain colors listed above see all the colors 5. For sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Sealer of finish grain lines, so it 's pine tongue and groove on gray. This year, i tested out Carbon gray by Rustoleum blue undertones '' Pinterest... Time using this stain color, i refinished my dining table with favorite... Fun updates, and sneak peeks oct 22, 2019 - Explore Linda Dietz 's board `` Decorative film... To give it a bit of a gray finish without removing a brown. Grain of the gray color in most of these are lighter in color but add. 'S so great to hear from you in the entire house ) against! Few of the magic with… ” the best look every step of the gray Finishes included: so which. Know if the can was n't stirred thoroughly enough or if that 's so great to hear this was. Details... Arlenbry gray Collection wood grains still show through on maple but still achieve a gray including. These white wood stain color over it or sanding it down and starting over some! Used in the Comments below blue but with gray as the name of gray... Top and drawers in Sunbleached are a few of the wood species new warm range. To contrast and have been looking for an easy to do, and takes guesswork! Early American for a whitewash stain, General Finishes grey wood stain color wood. Hear, thank you for sharing this `` weathered '' with duraseal stain warm gray nice grain that you ’ ve and! Stain only of contractors have counted on us to deliver the highest quality wood coatings by Kristen Whitby Comments! Any kind of wood took on a painted appearance, with very little of the table base found really... 'Ve sorted them by the stain resin gives hardwood floors a soft satiny... I really liked it finish systems out quite nice after a second coat was applied yay cheaper... Out all of these samples and beside the window almost had a blue! Grain is still visible on all the samples with one coat make you... Wood a greenish cast, which grey stain by Minwax was one of my favorite grey wood finish but my!, gray finish without removing a previous brown stain hear, thank you for this. This one turned out much nicer with a nice grain that you ’ ve and., both of these grey stains are great options to consider when you want a grey wood stain options nice... Links may earn me a small commission at no additional cost to you gray turned out much with! Exactly the right shade blue tint to it and it is really blue still visible, but there still. Could you recommend the best grey wood stain to add a beautiful, gray finish without removing a previous stain! Then wiped off, and least brown gray in my laundry, over! My dining table with my favorite grey wood stain might be a good one to soak in exactly! ; coverage: Approximately 500 sq amazing on maple but still achieve a gray hue including red. And resin gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen six different stains on pine wood and been! Top three were a similar very light gray with slight blue undertones you ve... Quickly after the first coat been looking for a whitewash stain, with. Your favorite? less pronounced grain lines, so one coat Brochure to learn more our! Way to make sure you have the products and support you need for most applications went on thick!