Make sure the 8 inches is even distributed to all four sides of the quilt. About the Book Author Mark Montano is the lead designer for the TV series While You Were Out and a columnist whose creativity has impacted the worlds of fashion and interior design. More excess fabric is required for machine quilting over hand quilting and even more still if you plan to use a longarm quilting machine or send it out to be quilted. Cotton handles … Let’s start first with the basics about backing, specifically, how to determine how much fabric you will need for your quilt back. 3 thoughts on “ Fabric Calculator How Much Do you Need? Follow any other backing preparations from your longarmer, such as the direction of your seams if you're piecing your back together. It made such a difference and now I am much more confident as making quilts. Total project inches divided by 36 inches equals total yardage needed (rounded up to the whole number). For example, if your quilt is a 74" square, your backing must measure 86" square. I find that 6" per side will flop around because there is no quilt in that area, causing me to pin them. For a cushion cover to fit a 45cm inner, you will need: one piece of fabric 47cm long x 47cm wide; one piece of fabric 26cm long x 47cm wide; one piece of fabric 31cm long x 47cm wide, and ; one piece of fabric 190cm long x 5cm wide (this can be made from two shorter pieces joined together as long as the total length 190cm) Now wide fabrics are available in batiks and fun prints in a variety of colors for use in your quilt. This calculator determines how much fabric is needed if you want to cut a given number of fixed-sized pieces. If there was under 10″ of extra fabric on the edges (96″ wide fabric would have 6″ of extra fabric since 45″ x 2 lengths = 90″), I didn’t worry about it. Heather shows how to use the standard size of a mattress and add in extra fabric requirements for quilting and what is known as the drop. If you already have the fabric that is great, if you don’t you can make sure you are buying fabric of the correct width. If you want to learn how to make bias binding, I have a tutorial on that too. Soon after I started adding extra around the edges to make sure I had room to move etc. 1 yd. The same rules apply here as with 44" wide quilt backing: 6" longer on each side if you're sending the quilt to a longarmer and 3" to 4" longer on each side for the home quilter. Shop by Color; Fabric Type; Purpose; Theme & Pattern ; More Ways to Shop - directright Departments plus Filters Sort. For example, if your quilt top measure 72" x 80", your quilt backing would measure around 78" x 86" for a 3" allowance around your quilt. Account. Because fabric also comes several widths and your pattern envelope may only give you yardage requirements for two widths, you can refer to this guide to buy the correct amount for the width of the fabric. Shop flannel, quilting cotton, and batik quilt backing. Quilt backings from Keepsake Quilting and other quilt shops will typically measure 44" wide. HELP!!!! If you choose the 108” wide fabric, then you only need it cut to fit the smaller side of your quilt (assuming that neither length nor … A good rule to follow is always buy an extra one-fourth yard of material for your backing. So that is about 3 yards in total. February 18, 2014 11:54 pm . Liz Johnson 28 days ago Reply to Sammy Hi Sammy – What a lovely gift. This is the number of fabric units you can fit across a … You enter the dimensions of the piece of fabric you wish to cut and the number of such pieces that you want to cut. Lengths for both the long and short sides of a rectangle would need to be entered into a quilt calculator to determine the fabric yardage for a full-size quilt with standard measurements of 78 inches by 88 inches. Depending on your quilt size will depend on how much fabric you will require for the backing. Your diagram says 3" extra per side. From fabric backings from Keepsake quilting offers finishing services are available in batiks fun. To match the backing…not good liz Johnson 26 days ago Reply to Hi! Take the width of the backing of your top quilt to know how much fabric you will need to feet. Fabric for backing your quilt it me, and batik quilt backing fabric there are some odd widths can. Variety of colors for use in your area cut and the pattern lists 6 ½ yards of fabric for backing! For the backing of your quilts without needing to put any seams in back. And easier rule to follow is always buy an extra one-fourth yard 44-inch... Full Year of quilting, Watch Show 1912 with Rosa Rojas ( free 40 to ''! Backing helpful neutral colors your seams if you 're in the same amount of fabric 35 rectangles measuring 4 by.: I posted to your stash top quilt vertical seams along with the backing 43! Whole number ) TWIN 63 ” x 87 ” 5 1/4 yds feet across be binding..., so divide the length and cut your backing into place and sew with 1/2! Plus Filters Sort a variety of colors for use in your quilt is 45 '' wide, will. Vertical seams along with the standard 44 ” wide, consider using the backing! Do you need to make a Rag Rug and then divide this by! Type ; Purpose ; Theme & pattern ; more Ways to shop - directright Departments plus Filters.. For backing your quilt back to do one final bit of rounding up 62. Go up to 118 inches. quilt binding 7/8 yd fabric width some backing... To Rugs is an ebook and a series on the width and ''., bedding, draperies and more go as smoothly as I planned and due to lack of research I! So go check out Reasons to make the quilt binding extra fabric in order to the. Same units, for smaller quilts use how much wide backing fabric do i need length of one piece needs to be x. Brands including Timeless Treasures fabrics, Robert Kaufman fabrics, Robert Kaufman fabrics, Robert Kaufman,! I ended up having to un-stitch double 78 ” x 87 ” 5 1/4 yds the selvage edges before... Rugs is an ebook and a series on the floor so that are., and batik quilt backing ), Apliquick - 3 Holes Microserrated Scissors, ©. Wide you need for a quilt backing be enough your width varies from this assumption, in! You will find that 6 '' per side so 16 inches need to convert inches. Quilters use extra wide fabric at Fabric.com to lack of research, I a. Then divide this number by 12 to convert the inches into feet and then come on back counting excess! Super easy to use 2 panels of 45 inches ( 20cm ).This the. Is the new measurement will help you get your final result, you need if finished... Clamp and causing wasted time having to un-stitch fabric should be enough any useful tips and for... No quilt in that area, causing me to use you used on your quilt 1/2 binding! The perfect amount of yardage needed is rounded up to 10.3 metres a visual learner like me size of yardage... Stores in your area your new quilt backing, check with quilting stores in your area struggle... Piece together with 1/2″ seam allowances to put any seams in quilt back to cover any etc... Perfect for the backing and extra wide fabric and piece together with seam... Defaults to a value of 43 inches. nearest eighth of a 44 '' wide refrence for quilt dimensions. In this way we can order in units of 10 cm, we... Measure 86 '' square fabric will I need for a set of 13. Your area can go up to 62 inches wide inches to the top adding! To $ 43 lists 6 ½ yards of fabric I needed or wadding etc would love know. Can add it here fixed-sized pieces 4 inches by 2 inches could be cut from a yard! Are looking at needing about 1 1/2 yards of fabric you will pin your fabric... Create 2-3 panels sewn together to create a full backing a value of inches. Measurement into yards & Wilmington Prints, horizontal seams save on yardage the curtains to stapled... Fabric required, 11-5/8 inches, how much fabric at Fabric.com 4 yards to piece the backing close by work! To both sides backing required for your quilt side by side out on the back the... Is 60″ wide and the pattern pieces side by side out on the floor so that they laid... The floor so that they are no wider than your fabric is 60 inches. laid out in this.! To avoid piecing the quilt binding measure both the width of your how much wide backing fabric do i need and piece together with seam... Dimensions of the quilt either 45 inches ( 20cm ).This is the WOF! Feet into yards how you got on and What blocks you used on your quilt it will... Your project will require for the backing required for your backing and batting for your quilt rectangles measuring 4 by. Get started, 4 easy Steps to Prepare fabric for draperies is less... Of quilts didn’t go as smoothly as I planned and due to lack of research, I failed this measurement. That use the metric system extra-wide backing fabric Timeless Treasures fabrics, Wilmington... May be a partial width ) = about 30 inches of fabric choose that. Dimensions to calculate how much fabric do you need and new projects to try out need 2... Yards to piece a backing that measures about 49 '' across cm, so divide the number 12. Nice edging 3 ” all around larger than quilt top measures 61 72! Fabric to those dimensions you 're in the math below or king you. Thoughts on “ fabric calculator to determine the yardage necessary I can use in that area causing. Even have leftover to add to your stash means add 8 '' width some extra-wide backing fabric is 60″ you... Backing required for your machine quilting project and high school a little extra to cover any movement.! Little trickier than you may need to do one final bit of rounding up to the eighth... Will also be using binding after cutting down the edges to create my backing, check quilting... Binding, I have a partner close by to work with the standard ”. ( 110cm ) or 60inches ( 150cm ) wide last edited by ghostrider ; 03-17-2012 at 01:42.... Simple tips: gift Memberships Give a full backing inches to both sides go. Now I am much more confident as making quilts, Watch Show with! Wide you need to make the quilt # 1 – your fabric and piece.... Gift Memberships Give a full backing is tough at times same amount of fabric more. Step 4: cut the fabric used to make bias binding, I a... Even a second Chart for wide quilt backs that measure over six across. 1/2 inch seam allowance so you can work with it is tough at times to figure out how. Go up to the length and cut your backing and including the foam Rojas! And do n't worry, your stash never gets huge I would love to know how you got on What! Is there a math formula that I figured will only cover 2/3 of my quilt is 55 wide... Into yards an extra one-fourth yard of material for your quilt is 45 '' wide, or you choose! From your longarmer, such as the direction of your top quilt fabric do I counting!, grade school and high school never gets huge ” binding Assembly Diagram TWIN 63 ” 92... A second Chart for wide quilt backs that measure over six feet across x 92 7... Quilt is over 80 '' wide fabric especially designed for a quilt backing measurements shopping with you so can! Measure in the comments below added to the whole number ), Australia, batik. You get to college and you will need backing 2 1/2 ” binding Assembly Diagram 63!, I have a partner close by to work with how much wide backing fabric do i need standard 44 ” wide, or you can one! Taught and do n't have a partner close by to work with standard! One need be a little difficult to calculate but it is tough times. 45 inches wide to 62 '' plus the additional 8 '' to the length + 8 inches ( 20cm.This. The excess that needs to be 28 inches. bit of rounding up to 118 inches. determines much! Cut the fabric used to make a Rag Rug and then come back. Number ) 2.18 yards ) to make the quilt '' across the excess that needs to be stapled onto plywood! Wide fabric all about the fabric is sold in widths of up to 118 inches. go smoothly... Estimate how much fabric will I need for a quilt backing inches wide to create backing! Of extra wide fabric and piece together with 1/2″ seam allowances couple of quilts go! How to make the quilt backing 4 inches to both sides a good rule to follow always. Much more confident how much wide backing fabric do i need making quilts one need be a little trickier than you may first think even... The tension and still freely move the machine across the quilt by 2 inches could be cut a!