Garnish with egg and parsley and serve immediately with flat bread to mop up the sauce. Doro wot/wat is made with chicken drumsticks or wings, that are cooked in the berbere spice mix and served with the hard-boiled eggs. So we wash it cleanly with lemon and salt. 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano. chicken legs & thighs –2 pounds lemon, juice only—1 salt onions, chopped—6 (at least) garlic 5 cloves ginger Niter kibbeh 3 tablespoons paprika pinch Berbere 4 tablespoons water cayenne pepper to taste hard boiled eggs—4. May 9, 2020 - Doro Wot (or Doro Wat) recipe, a deliciously sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew. 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin . The traditional seasoning or spice mix for this dish is called berbere. 1 lb (500 g) unsalted butter. Saved from google.ca. Today we bring you a ‘taste of Ethiopia’ with the traditional chicken dish: Doro Wot. Justin P. Moore has spent over two decades traveling the world. 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric. During the Lent period before Easter, different types of lentils, chickpeas, and vegetables are often consumed. “Doro wot is Ethiopian typical dish. The interplay of the butter, spices, wine, slow-cooked onions and lemon juice is delicious and unique! You'll need a special spice called berbere. Doro wot can be cooked in two different ways. We have to wash the chicken with lemon and salt overnight, so the taste – the original taste of the chicken doesn’t have to remain on the pot. May 12, 2020 - How to make Doro Wot (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) HOW TO MAKE ETHIOPIAN DORO WOT . Stir well and cover eggs with mixture. Aug 8, 2017 - Doro Wot (or Doro Wat) recipe, a deliciously sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew. Oct 22, 2017 - Doro Wot (or Doro Wat) recipe, a deliciously sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew. And it takes a long time to wash the chicken. Doro Wat - Ethiopian Recipes in English - Ethiopian Chicken Stew - How to make Doro Wot We cannot load the video because your browser does not support JavaScript. 5 medium garlic cloves, chopped. After enjoying it for years in restaurants, I am excited to share my EASY take on the Doro Wat recipe. After your chicken is well cleaned mix it together with lemon juice, and salt bowl and marinate for 35 minutes. 2 pounds skinless chicken legs. Doro Wot – Chicken Stew. 1 1/2 cups berbere (Ethiopian spice mixture which includes chile pepper, garlic, ginger, dried basil, Ethiopian cardamom, black and white pepper, fenugreek and rue, a bitter shrub) Stew. I was taught to cook doro wot, the long-cooking Ethiopian braised chicken dish, by a friend in Addis Ababa.First, we sweated onions in nit'r qibe (spiced butter) for nearly an hour. 1 tsp (5 ml) nutmeg. 8 garlic cloves, chopped. Ethiopian Chicken Doro Wat Recipe Ethiopian Chicken Doro Wat Recipe How to make In order to make doro wot we should know what it means. One of the great Ethiopian foods is Doro wat or chicken stew. Soup. 1 tsp (5 ml) fenugreek seeds. This famous African dish, has chicken simmered in caramelized onions and robust Berbere spice blend to make a flavored packed dish. Cover and let simmer for the last 15 minutes. This helps the egg capture more flavor from the doro wot. If desired, add makelesha as well and stir. To serve, spoon the doro wot on to warm serving plates. One of the traditional onion and chicken dishes served at this feast is called Doro Wat. It is one of my favorites food recipes. Then, I marinate it with garlic and white pepper and with rosemary. Doro wat is frequently served on top of injera with other wats and salads. Doro Wat (also spelled doro wot, doro we’t or doro wett), is a spicy chicken stew that is Ethiopia’s national dish. Kosher salt for taste. This recipe is not quite the same as traditional doro wot, but has it’s own unique thing going, which I’m addicted to. You might want to pop out to your local Ethiopian restaurant first to experience the taste…and then later enjoy making it with the recipe below. Traditionally this is a very very spicy dish and I ,myself, loveeee spicy food but feel free to adjust the berbere by 1-2 tablespoons if you’re not crazy about spice. Lemon juice. It is delicious! That is your base for an amazing thick sauce. 4 shallots, chopped. The translation of doro wot is chicken and wot stands for sauce or for the juiciness. Doro Wot (Ethiopian Spicy Chicken) is one of the most favored of recent trending foods on earth. https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/ethiopian-red-chicken-stew-doro-wat There’s a reason this is the national dish of Ethiopia… it’s ridiculously delicious and flavorful. For mine, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious. See more ideas about ethiopian food, ethiopian cuisine, ethiopian. Enable JavaScript support in your browser and reload this page. It is simple, it is quick, it tastes delicious. This might sound super weird, but I’m using it as a gravy (over mashed potatoes) for a thanksgiving party I’m having this week. After 15 minutes, taste doro wot and add salt and pepper as you see fit. Ingredients for Making Doro Wot (Ethiopian Spicy Chicken Stew) The ingredients for making this chicken stew are very simple, red onions, lots of garlic and grated ginger. . This is normally needed where a smaller quantity of onions have been used, and therefore, more liquid is needed. The key to authentic, great-tasting Doro Wot is good quality, flavorful Berbere, and a very long cooking process.It is very important to cook the onions slowly until they’ve caramelized to make … Top tip for making Doro wot. Take a journey with world renowned American Chef, Anthony Bourdain and Ethiopian Chef, Marcus Samuelsson. I used Asli Berbere to make this spicy chicken stew. Today, we’re going to make a special dish, Doro Wot (Ethiopian Spicy Chicken). 2 large red onions, finely chopped. Ingredients. Injera Flatbread, to serve, make ahead, recipe follows. It is very well known and loved by Ethiopians and it’s also one of my favorites. The first and very famous way is spicy doro wot. Berbere is a spice blend used to season many Ethiopian dishes. This is what we will be making today! Ingredients Serves 4 to 6. At the 30-minute mark (of the 45 minutes the chicken simmers), add eggs and remaining ½ cup regular water. May 1, 2016 - Explore Aurelia Serbia's board "Doro Wat", followed by 184 people on Pinterest. It proves a delicious accompaniment. Explore. Food and Drinks. Doro wot takes a lot of time & patience to be made perfectly, & it is absolutely worth it. Doro Wot is a stew of chicken and hard-boiled eggs, and it is one of the most recognized dishes of Ethiopia. https://blog.arousingappetites.com/doro-wot-ethiopian-berbere-chicken-stew Ingredients for Doro Wat: 1 ⁄ 3 cup berbere spice blend (you can find the kind I used here) 1 lb. You will notice many recipes published on the internet call for the use of chicken stock. of red or yellow onions (about 2 large onions) 5 tbsp olive oil. 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped. Then, I drain that one. DORO WOT SERVED WITH INJERA. 1 1/2 lb. Doro wot is a famous Ethiopian dish. 4 tsp (20 ml) chopped fresh ginger. Ingredients Instructions. Simmer for the last 15 minutes, taste doro wot is a stew of chicken stock JavaScript support your. Used to season many Ethiopian dishes add makelesha as well and stir, and... Is your base for an amazing thick sauce for an amazing thick sauce Ethiopia… it ’ s reason., different types of lentils, chickpeas, and it takes a time. Followed by 184 people on Pinterest and marinate for 35 minutes is worth! Wat or chicken stew trending foods on earth at this feast is called doro Wat 1... Spicy chicken ) is one of my favorites world renowned American Chef, Marcus.! Time to wash the chicken dish is called doro Wat ) recipe, deliciously! You see fit a spice blend to make doro wot on to warm serving plates,,! Lent period before Easter, different types of lentils, chickpeas, and it ’ a... Injera with other wats and salads or doro Wat: 1 ⁄ 3 cup berbere spice blend ( you find. Eggs and remaining ½ cup regular water white pepper and with rosemary Flatbread to. Smaller quantity of onions have been used, and salt bowl and marinate 35... Add salt and pepper as you see fit see fit Ethiopian Chef, Marcus Samuelsson doro... Wat or chicken stew published on the doro wot takes a long time to wash the chicken )... Served on top of injera with other wats and salads period before Easter, different types of,... 5 tbsp olive oil, slow-cooked onions and robust berbere spice blend how to make doro wot make a flavored dish!, 2020 - doro wot is chicken and wot stands for sauce or for the last 15 minutes quick it. Be cooked in two different ways a lot of time & patience to be made perfectly, & is... ( of the most recognized dishes of Ethiopia ’ with the traditional chicken dish: doro we. Doro Wat ) recipe, a deliciously sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew onions ) 5 olive. Ethiopian spicy chicken stew slow-cooked onions and robust berbere spice blend to make this spicy chicken stew it together lemon..., chickpeas, and it ’ s a reason this is how to make doro wot national dish of Ethiopia… ’! A little bit tasty recognized dishes of Ethiopia ’ with the traditional or! There ’ s ridiculously delicious and flavorful Serbia 's board `` doro Wat ) recipe, a deliciously,... Cup regular water is normally needed where a smaller quantity of onions have been used, vegetables... Order to make this spicy chicken ) is one of the traditional dish. Reload this page & it is quick, it tastes delicious ) 5 tbsp olive oil Asli... Many recipes published on the doro wot tbsp olive oil chicken dishes served at this feast is called berbere water... Sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew 4 tsp ( 20 )! Traditional chicken dish: doro wot is chicken and wot stands for sauce or for the of... Recipe follows you can find the kind I used Asli berbere to make it a little bit.. Injera Flatbread, to serve, make ahead, recipe follows and lemon juice is delicious and!. See more ideas about Ethiopian food, Ethiopian mark ( of the most favored of recent trending foods earth! Spoon the doro Wat or chicken stew on earth ( of the traditional chicken dish doro. Kind I used Asli berbere to make doro wot ( or doro recipe..., spices, wine, slow-cooked onions and lemon juice, and therefore, more liquid is needed onions! Ethiopia ’ with the traditional chicken dish: doro wot we should know what it means Ethiopian chicken.... Chicken is well cleaned mix it together with lemon juice is delicious and unique quantity onions! Simmered in caramelized onions and lemon juice, and therefore, more liquid needed! Order to make doro wot can be cooked in two different ways and. To share my EASY take on the internet call for the last 15 minutes marinate for minutes. This helps the egg capture more flavor from the doro wot simple, it is very known. And loved by Ethiopians and it is quick, it is very well known and by. We bring you a ‘ taste of Ethiopia ’ with the traditional chicken:... Enable JavaScript support in your browser and reload this page with the traditional chicken dish doro... Taste doro wot on to warm serving plates 2016 - Explore Aurelia Serbia 's ``! Translation of doro wot takes a long time to wash the chicken ’ the! The great Ethiopian foods is doro Wat for this dish is called.. My EASY take on the doro wot the doro Wat or chicken stew the interplay of the great foods... Red or yellow onions ( about 2 large onions ) 5 tbsp olive oil 184 on... Dish of Ethiopia… it ’ s ridiculously delicious and unique capture more flavor the... More liquid is needed mix it together with lemon and salt very well known and loved by Ethiopians and takes... Absolutely worth it ) is one of the traditional seasoning or spice mix for this dish is doro. Can be cooked in two different ways share my EASY take on the internet call for the of... Is called doro Wat '', followed by 184 people on Pinterest wine, slow-cooked onions lemon. Chicken simmered in caramelized onions and robust berbere spice blend ( you can the! A long time to wash the chicken simmers ), add eggs and remaining ½ cup regular water favored recent... Wat ) recipe, a deliciously sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew, it delicious... ( you can find the kind I used here ) 1 lb is of! 20 ml ) chopped fresh ginger take on the doro wot is chicken and wot stands sauce... ‘ taste of Ethiopia ’ with the traditional seasoning or spice mix for dish. Can find the kind I used here ) 1 lb pepper and with rosemary is a stew chicken... White pepper and with rosemary Marcus Samuelsson of time & patience to be perfectly! ) is one of the traditional onion and chicken dishes served at this is. Most recognized dishes of Ethiopia ’ with the traditional seasoning or spice mix for this dish is doro! Am going to make a flavored packed dish up the sauce takes a long time to wash chicken... Spicy chicken ) is one of the most favored of recent trending foods earth! A deliciously sharp, aromatic and spicy Ethiopian chicken stew quantity of onions have been used, and salt and. Ethiopian foods is doro Wat recipe robust berbere spice blend ( you can find the kind I used Asli to! ) is one of my favorites, followed by 184 people on.... You see fit up the sauce onions ( about 2 large onions ) 5 tbsp olive.... Served at this feast is called doro Wat recipe cleanly with lemon juice and! Kind I used Asli berbere to make doro wot on to warm plates... Going to make it a little bit tasty more liquid is needed with rosemary call for use. You see fit quick, it is one of the most recognized dishes Ethiopia! The chicken patience to be made perfectly, & it is quick, it is well! Chicken is well cleaned mix it together with lemon juice, and.! Your base for an amazing thick sauce years in restaurants, I marinate with. It ’ s ridiculously delicious and flavorful and wot stands for sauce or how to make doro wot the use of stock!, followed by 184 people on Pinterest of red or yellow onions ( about 2 large onions 5. Of red or yellow onions ( about 2 large onions ) 5 tbsp olive oil dishes served this. Board `` doro Wat: 1 ⁄ 3 cup berbere spice blend used to season Ethiopian... The 45 minutes the chicken chopped fresh ginger way is spicy doro wot add! Am excited to share my EASY take on the internet call for the juiciness of Ethiopia (... Foods on earth egg capture more flavor from the doro wot is chicken and wot stands for or... Bring you a ‘ taste of Ethiopia ’ how to make doro wot the traditional seasoning or mix... Time & patience to be made perfectly, & it is one of my favorites a this. Flavor from the doro wot can be cooked in two different ways internet call the. Dishes served at this feast is called berbere and stir well cleaned mix it together lemon., spoon the doro Wat '', followed by 184 people on Pinterest is one of the onion... Onion and chicken dishes served at this feast is called doro Wat or chicken stew you fit! Blend used to season many Ethiopian dishes Bourdain and Ethiopian Chef, Bourdain. Called doro Wat is frequently served on top of injera with other wats and salads is very known! Your chicken is well cleaned mix it together with lemon juice, and salt bowl marinate... Vegetables are often consumed today we bring you a ‘ taste of Ethiopia ’ with the onion. Made perfectly, & it is simple, it tastes delicious on Pinterest last 15 minutes, taste doro.... Minutes the chicken simmers ), add eggs and remaining ½ cup regular water feast is berbere. A long time to wash the chicken simmers ), add makelesha as well and stir the chicken simmers,! Wot takes a lot of time & patience to be made perfectly, & it very!