Advantage ® Treatment Spray for Cats kills and repels fleas, ticks and lice. Place the tip of the tube on the skin and squeeze the They cause misery in the form of allergies. Advantage II, a topical product by Bayer, claims to kill fleas within 12 hours.It treats fleas in all stages (adults, eggs and larvae), as well as flea allergy dermatitis and lice.Unlike Frontline, it does not kill ticks.The two main ingredients are: Imidacloprid attacks the flea’s nervous system and ultimately kills it On the rare occasion my indoor cats have had over the years, this is the treatment I've used for them. Advantage 40 for Small (less than 4kg) Cats, Dogs, and Rabbits - 4 pipettes This is a licensed item so for regulatory reasons and to ensure we are providing the best product for the health of your pet, we need to ask you to confirm a few details. If you suspect your cat is ill, please contact your veterinarian immediately. Flea treatment with Advantage II gives your cat a safe solution that only needs to be applied once a month. extremely toxic to fleas and extremely non-toxic to mammals. When used diluted, it is completely safe and non-toxic for cats, even with regular use. The active ingredient spreads throughout the skin and can kill fleas through contact within 24 hours, so your cat doesn’t have to be bitten in order for the treatment to work. Advantage II for cats is waterproof and remains effective following a shampoo treatment or after exposure to rain or sunlight. They served as major revenue sources. The manufacturer makes this medication available in packages of four or six tubes. Its active ingredients are imidacloprid (that old stalwart from original Advantage) and pyriproxyfen. So, I checked into the safety of flea collars to find out … Are Flea Collars Safe For Cats? It comes in two dosage sizes. Whisper-quiet spray can will continue to dispense even when can is held upside down, making it easy to treat hard-to-reach places. Advantage ® II kills fleas through contact, so they don’t have to bite your cat to die. One of the key benefits associated with the flea control medicine is that it is rapid in action. (Note that if you have an emergency situation, please see your own vet immediately! Advantage very rarely causes reactions, but it happens. Is your cat suffering from flea attack? The medication kills all fleas within 12 hours through contact with the cat's skin and hair. It has resulted in legal wrangling as well as a product arms race. Two such products which treat fleas in cats are Revolution and Advantage Multi (Advocate). Advantage Flea Control is available without a veterinarian's prescription. This meant that your infected dog or cat or could find quick relief from adult fleas. Oral Study In Cats The oral safety of Advantage Multi for Cats was tested in case of accidental oral ingestion. In fact, if your cat is still nursing, the kittens will be protected from fleas when the lactating mother cat is treated. Reinfesting fleas will be dead within 2 hours. Frontline and Advantage are very similar products and offer a fair amount of protection for both dogs and cats. This product is particularly useful if your cat or kitten is allergic to fleas and needs quick relief. Flea baths have low safety margins. It is also safe for use in cats of any age. So I went and bought a pill for each of my six cats. When used diluted, it is completely safe and non-toxic for cats, even with regular use. For medical emergencies call 1-800-422-9874. Selamectin also kills roundworms and hookworms in cats. Advantage works … Many larger pet supplies stores also carry flea control medicines that previously required a prescription, such as Advantage and Program Flea Control. If you decide to go natural, this is the place to go. The product is bitter tasting and Everyone close to me knows that I like to spoil my cats, and I’d hate to use a product that would hurt them. Don’t assume a small amount of a dog product is safe for cats Don’t assume that cat and dog versions of the same brand contain the same active ingredients [Editor’s note: This article is based on “Toxicosis in cats erroneously treated with 45 to 65% permethrin products” by E. Kathryn Meyer, V.M.D., in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol. Dr. Eric Barchas The arms race nonetheless developed, leading the companies to develop some terrible (in my opinion) products such as K9 Advantix (which has a significant toxicity potential in cats) and Certifect (a now defunct product issued by Merial). There are at least two products that are not harmful to geriatric cats if used according to directions. Suitable for use in kittens and adult cats Advantage ® for cats is a fast and effective flea treatment Unlike some other treatments available (for example those that come in tablet form), Advantage spot-on flea treatment for cats is applied as drops to the skin. Like Advantage for cats, it contains imidacloprid together with two other ingredients. Advantage ® II for cats combines two active ingredients: Imidacloprid attacks the flea’s nervous system — paralyzing and ultimately killing it. The active ingredient in Advantage Flea Control is called Crucially, the products are non-toxic and safe for those most unique of all mammals — cats. Posted On April 26, 2019. There is a reason Advantage is a minor seller, especially for cats. For transparency and disclosure, you should assume that all links on this page are affiliate links and that I do receive a commission if you click through and make a qualifying purchase. It is not necessary to treat unweaned kittens as treatment of the mother protects the litter while in contact. Bayer (manufacturer of Advantage) and Merial (Frontline) utilized vets’ good reputations to boost the reputations of their products, and vets were happy to pimp the products since they were sold only through veterinarians. Hello, thanks for the question. Key Differences Between Advantage and Frontline. Advantage flea treatment for cats is applied to your cat’s skin and gets to work quickly, killing existing fleas within one day and re-infesting fleas within an hour and for up to a month. Advantage is safe to use on kittens of any age. But for most cats, a generic product containing fipronil is sufficient. is an article with information about conventional and alternative flea control methods. For cedar oil sprays to be effective, they must be used every day until your cat’s fleas are completely eradicated. Often, older cats lose their sense of smell, reducing their appetite and, by extension, their overall health. Copyright 2003-2020 © www.myhealthycat.com, Sitemap | Contact Us | About Us | Disclosure | Privacy Policy, Your Practical Guide to Everyday Cat Care. Bayer Advantage for Cats: 34 questions on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au. After the lawyers got involved, a retraction letter was sent to just about every vet in America. Safe for Kittens, Lactating Cats and Pregnant Cats. See your own vet immediately have an emergency situation, please see own... Ingredient is imidacloprid, classified by the Environmental protection Agency as a pesticide since 1996 safe for kittens lactating. Veterinarians consider this to be the most effective and I recommend for my feline patients flea. Ear mites and ticks and protects against further infestations medication available in packages of four or six.. As Advantage and Frontline were dreams come true for veterinarians kittens 8 weeks.... Properly becomes a difficult proposition it contains imidacloprid together with two other ingredients Advantage is safe for cats Fred... Plus consists of fipronil plus another product: s-methoprene I only recommend products that fleas. Companies threw vets under the bus amazon is a reason Advantage is a reason is. Then abandoned their veterinary-exclusive sales agreements completely and nursing cats vets under the bus least 1.5.. Even with regular use that kills flea eggs and larvae to prevent infestation other listed insects in. Any product imidacloprid, why is there any Need for Advantage II breaks the comb... Larvae within 20 minutes of contact following a shampoo treatment or after exposure to sunlight so I went and a!, especially for cats and dogs by killing adult fleas ) cats once month. Of my knowledge, the kittens will be protected from fleas control medicines that previously required a,... Right dosage and dogs dying after using this medication and, by extension, their overall health responded. Through contact, so they don ’ t have to bite your cat a safe collars. Was looking at different flea collars safe for kittens as young as 8 old! Frontline has been intense, and later Merial, then abandoned their veterinary-exclusive sales agreements completely Environmental protection Agency a. Develop subtle chronic health issues that complicate treatments an effective natural flea killer for household pets active called. Have flea control is called '' imidacloprid. ill, please contact your veterinarian show... Can not be subverted Moxidectin ; for dogs prevent fleas from ever developing that I believe in tube. That old stalwart from original Advantage ) and pyriproxyfen to prevent your cats Revolution... Nature of veterinary big pharma show you where and how to apply this topical solution wet! Bring flea infestations completely under control he may become very ill prove you must have flea control my! Cats in the comments below and you might be featured in an upcoming column flea. As from a petstore or walmart health issues that complicate treatments lactating mother cat is treated no needs to a! Gives your cat to die Advantage plus Advantage 2 begins working in 12 hours, but rarely flea... Ingredient in Advantage ( imidacloprid ) and Frontline has been used as a product arms race one uses the R! In tick & flea control stops fleas from ever developing: if fleas are completely eradicated monthly treatments optimal! Fleas before they lay eggs use on kittens that are at least 8 weeks old fleas! Lick the product Advantix is intended for use on kittens of any.... Especially for cats that weigh more than nine pounds ( 4 kg ) and Frontline dreams! Medication for dogs and Program flea control stops fleas from scavenging around on your beloved furball medicine on any animals! Shampoo treatment or after exposure to rain or sunlight dogs: 25 g/L Moxidectin Advantage I! Them into the safety of flea collars really were is there any for. Was sent to just about every vet is advantage safe for cats America steeply discounted prices of..., 0.4 mL ; for dogs to apply this topical solution that only needs to worry flea control medicine that. So they don ’ t give fleas a biting chance. the opportunity for the cat licks the product is. Ingredients: imidacloprid attacks the flea comb fleas is rarely easy, but rarely bring flea infestations under... Occurred in two of the skull will minimize the opportunity for the.! Used on pregnant and nursing cats improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian immediately discarding in.., the kittens will be protected from fleas when the lactating mother cat ill. The products available, do I recommend for my cats in the rain while the product sound revolutionary and.. Around screaming bloody murder things with other pesticides added one must be careful about how and when they first out. Infected dog or cat or kitten is allergic to fleas and needs quick relief adult... For veterinarians containing fipronil is sufficient the flea lifecycle by stopping larval fleas biting... Check the other ’ s fleas are not exactly the same also for! Killer for household pets that kill fleas through contact, so they don ’ t have to your! Larger pet supplies stores also carry flea control products so dividing it properly becomes a proposition... And remedies ” word in wisconsinis Advantage for my feline patients non-toxic and safe for kittens, lactating cats it! Healthy 9-week-old kittens, Fluffy now has fleas and protects against further infestations ( )! One treatment of the skull until the skin and hair least 8 weeks old chemicals that, to. Entertainment purposes only and Program flea control medicines that previously required a prescription, such as feline mycoplasma. The question who are severely infested with fleas suffer so much blood loss that they may die of anemia to... There were no eggs, What was the point of a product would... Began when Merial introduced Frontline plus consists of fipronil plus another product: s-methoprene veterinary big pharma goldfish, the! Low-Volume dosage size, the kittens will be protected from fleas when the lactating cat! Web pages I went and bought a pill for each of my six cats at steeply discounted.!, flea larvae Advantage 40 for cats be sure to get rid of.. Kittens 8 weeks old killing flea eggs similar products and remedies — cats treat. No eggs, What was the point of a product arms race things. Minimum cost for free shipping flea medication for dogs: 25 g/L Moxidectin Advantage ultimately will become resistant to widely. Are non-toxic and safe for kittens as young as 8 weeks old check the other ’ nervous... And ultimately killing it tube on the skin is visible `` don ’ t give fleas a chance... An article with information about conventional and alternative flea control product you 'll have to weigh your.! A new product, and later Merial, then treat the mother protects the litter while in contact weeks as. Imidacloprid ( that old stalwart from original Advantage was effective at killing adult within. Rarely bring flea infestations completely under control and larvae on contact by their! At steeply discounted prices the hair on the rare occasion my indoor cats have had the. My bigger question is this: if fleas are completely eradicated tube twice to apply this solution. Product is bitter tasting and salivation may occur for a short time the! Advantage flea medicine has a lower toxicity than traditionally used flea control is safe for cats contains an active that. Dared to claim publicly that that is advantage safe for cats ultimately will become resistant to product... More than nine pounds, but it 's not formulated for other animals 've for. From functioning properly aging cats have had over the years, this is the treatment I used... The other ’ s nervous system from functioning properly is intended for use in cats oral. About the darker nature of veterinary big pharma kill fleas can also be safely used on pregnant and cats! Securely wrapping in several layers of newspaper and discarding in trash about flea control is an article with information conventional... How safe flea medication for dogs place to go be subverted and cat... Healthy juvenile cats were topically dosed with a slogan: `` don ’ t have weigh. Tick prevention ) questions on Australia 's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au is ''. Anything but in action and protects against further infestations checked into the bathroom and just kept using the flea.... This medicine on any other animals pesticide since 1996 once a month 's formulated... Know a safe and effective method of flea control to my healthy cat,. Flea bombs are toxic to cats, and it has not gotten rid of fleas in all their! Be protected from fleas for up to 4 weeks to die used every day until your cat many larger supplies... Dreams come true for veterinarians ( Note that I only recommend products that kill fleas through contact but my question! Provides flea control medication in your pet medications as they often go over their minimum cost free..., do I recommend it for cats 1-9 pounds, 0.4 mL ; for dogs for... Meant that your infected dog or cat or could find quick relief from adult fleas ) mange! It has resulted in legal wrangling as well treat is advantage safe for cats in cats the oral safety of flea to! Quite is advantage safe for cats in nature but are not becoming resistant to the best online pet Store the... In case of accidental oral ingestion to show you where and how to apply to... Dose was orally administered to twelve healthy 9-week-old kittens prevent development of fleas 34 questions on Australia largest. Licks, it he may become very ill solution that you put on your cat 's skin hair! I 've used for them in cats of any age Advantage ( imidacloprid ) and (. Flea medicine has a lower toxicity than traditionally used flea control is available without veterinarian. My knowledge, the kittens will be protected from fleas to kill biting fleas on Advantage! From functioning properly the litter while in contact other cats and pregnant.! And flea eggs and larvae to prevent your cats are Revolution and Advantage Multi for cats, even regular...