The big downside to leg pressing is that it can place stress on the lower back, so if you experience that one way to prevent it is by performing leg presses one leg at a time. Valid photo I.D. About the difference between leg press and squat as mentioned in the first post, with the leg press, the weight moves on an inclined plane, which makes it easier (think pushing a heavy carriage along a ramp compared to lifting it). If you're just looking for quad strength/hypertrophy, then yes. I have been working my electors all year, finally get to put them to use next Tuesday. How does the squat compare to the leg press for activating quadriceps? The best possible argument about the squat vs leg press that exists is this; don’t be an exercise douche, both have their place. However everyone always preaches how squats are the best thing to do, but just doesnt feel that way to me. When comparing the hack squat vs leg press, the hack squat is thought of as the ruler of all leg moves. Slowly straighten to standing and repeat for desired number of reps. Whereas, squats work the same muscles as leg press but in addition, your core, your back, and basically your whole upper body as you are trying to stabilize the weight. The squat is the workhorse of exercise movements because it calls on muscles of the entire body. I mean I know it is but is being a 235 pound (down from 250) 16 year old with an old football knee injury a good excuse for now? I also used to think the leg press was for pussys not manly enough to squat ass to grass. It also looks kinda painful haha. ._1x9diBHPBP-hL1JiwUwJ5J{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:#ff585b;padding-left:3px;padding-right:24px}._2B0OHMLKb9TXNdd9g5Ere-,._1xKxnscCn2PjBiXhorZef4{height:16px;padding-right:4px;vertical-align:top}._1LLqoNXrOsaIkMtOuTBmO5{height:20px;padding-right:8px;vertical-align:bottom}.QB2Yrr8uihZVRhvwrKuMS{height:18px;padding-right:8px;vertical-align:top}._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._1LLqoNXrOsaIkMtOuTBmO5,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._2B0OHMLKb9TXNdd9g5Ere-,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._1xKxnscCn2PjBiXhorZef4,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 .QB2Yrr8uihZVRhvwrKuMS{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)} The leg press also works the quads, hamstrings and glutes. Must redeem at a Fitness 19 location within fifteen days. But the I doubt. Leg curl and extension machines, leg presses, hack squat machines, seated and standing calf machines from Body Solid, Yukon, Bodycraft, Legend, XMark and York. Here's a good article on the subject from crazy Lyle. Keeping your feet flat and spine straight, place your hands on your hips or extend your arms fully in front of your body from the shoulders, engage your core and lower your bottom as if you were going to sit in a chair. It doesn't have to cost a lot to achieve your fitness goals. Squats vs Leg Press: Do I Need To Do Both? To start, sit with your back against a padded backrest and your feet on two large footrests. How to do a leg press: Sit on the machine and place your feet shoulder-width apart on the platform in front of you. Proper Leg Press Form: Quick Review. See club for complete details. Alternatively, you can perform the exercises on different days. We are talking about substitute for leg excersise. The real reason I don't do squats it's because I don't really know how. Ive tried doing only leg press and only squats, and it seems like I get a better leg work out from leg press. It measures 83 inches in length, 34 inches in width and is 56 inches high. People are either providing no reasoning for their answer or they are saying things like "squat also works on your core", so what? and $2000 for the Body Craft Leg Press Hack Squat Combo brand new Price isn't that much of an issue but just to help put things into perspective For those who have tried both which did you like more? REQUIRED at check in. It lacks both the same hip extension (lower backback, glutes & hamstrings) and especially the stabilizing (smaller leg/hip muscles & extra work for the main ones) elements of squatting. fucking r/fitness. They are a decent accessory exercise though, so both. What kind of back problems do you have? ._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ{border-top:1px solid var(--newRedditTheme-line);margin-top:16px;padding-top:16px}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN{margin:0;padding:0}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between;margin:8px 0}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ.QgBK4ECuqpeR2umRjYcP2{opacity:.4}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ label{font-size:12px;font-weight:500;line-height:16px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ label svg{fill:currentColor;height:20px;margin-right:4px;width:20px}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._4OtOUaGIjjp2cNJMUxme_{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between;padding:0;width:100%}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._4OtOUaGIjjp2cNJMUxme_ svg{display:inline-block;height:12px;width:12px}.isInButtons2020 ._4OtOUaGIjjp2cNJMUxme_{padding:0 12px}.isInButtons2020 ._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:unset;line-height:16px;text-transform:unset}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F{--textColor:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColor);--textColorHover:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColorShaded80);font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;color:var(--textColor);fill:var(--textColor);opacity:1}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F._2UlgIO1LIFVpT30ItAtPfb{--textColor:var(--newRedditTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColor);--textColorHover:var(--newRedditTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColorShaded80)}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F:active,._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F:hover{color:var(--textColorHover);fill:var(--textColorHover)}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F:disabled,._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F[data-disabled],._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F[disabled]{opacity:.5;cursor:not-allowed} Position and Security: because of the seated position, leg press machines tend to be safer for people with prior injuries or weak joints. Personal Training and Kids Club services available for an additional fee. .ehsOqYO6dxn_Pf9Dzwu37{margin-top:0;overflow:visible}._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu{height:24px}._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu.uMPgOFYlCc5uvpa2Lbteu{border-radius:2px}._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu.uMPgOFYlCc5uvpa2Lbteu:focus,._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu.uMPgOFYlCc5uvpa2Lbteu:hover{background-color:var(--newRedditTheme-navIconFaded10);outline:none}._38GxRFSqSC-Z2VLi5Xzkjy{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._2DO72U0b_6CUw3msKGrnnT{border-top:none;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);cursor:pointer;padding:8px 16px 8px 8px;text-transform:none}._2DO72U0b_6CUw3msKGrnnT:hover{background-color:#0079d3;border:none;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-body)} I’ve got to disagree with the majority of answers to this question that strongly disparage the leg press. Right now I'm doing only single leg press because I had knee surgery and when I squat my good leg does most of the work. I may be biased (powerlifter's point of view), but drop the leg press and just squat. Can the quads be loaded more with the leg press? ._3Im6OD67aKo33nql4FpSp_{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBorderColor);border-radius:5px 5px 4px 4px;overflow:visible;word-wrap:break-word;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);padding:12px}.lnK0-OzG7nLFydTWuXGcY{font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;padding-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-navIcon)} For subreddit that is constantly laughing at broscience you certainly don't seem to have problem just repeating the same "facts" without having any reasoning or evidence behind it. Leg Press. .s5ap8yh1b4ZfwxvHizW3f{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);padding-top:5px}.s5ap8yh1b4ZfwxvHizW3f._19JhaP1slDQqu2XgT3vVS0{color:#ea0027} /*# sourceMappingURL=https://www.redditstatic.com/desktop2x/chunkCSS/ReredditLink.f7b66a91705891e84a09.css.map*/. For example, hips, torso, and the abs get in the game. Yes, leg press is an acceptable substitute, but you really should try squatting unless you have a good reason not to. The leg press machine is a hugely popular exercise.Like the king of exercisers uses, squats, it can help you build muscle size, strength, and even muscle power and speed (1). The leg press can be used to add quality leg mass and hypertrophy, specifically to the quadriceps. Problem was I wanted a pair of quads that matched my upper body. The hip range of motion during a squat is typically from zero degrees of flexion to only around 90-120 degrees, depending on the mobility of the lifter, whereas the range of motion during the leg press is typically between 90 degrees at the top of the movement to 120-150 degrees at the bottom, again depending on the mobility of the lifter. First time guests only. There’s no skipping leg day with leg press and squat machines from Fitness Factory. ._37coyt0h8ryIQubA7RHmUc{margin-top:12px;padding-top:12px}._2XJvPvYIEYtcS4ORsDXwa3{border-radius:100%;box-sizing:border-box;-ms-flex:none;flex:none;margin-right:8px}._2Vkdik1Q8k0lBEhhA_lRKE{height:54px;width:54px}.eGjjbHtkgFc-SYka3LM3M,._2Vkdik1Q8k0lBEhhA_lRKE{border-radius:100%;box-sizing:border-box;-ms-flex:none;flex:none;margin-right:8px;background-position:50%;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-size:100%}.eGjjbHtkgFc-SYka3LM3M{height:36px;width:36px}.j9k2MUR13FjoBBeLo1C1m{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin-top:13px;margin-bottom:2px}._3Evl5aOozId3QVjs7iry2c{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;margin-right:4px;margin-left:4px}._1qhTBEK-QmJbvMP4ckhAbh{border-radius:4px;box-sizing:border-box;height:21px;width:21px}._1qhTBEK-QmJbvMP4ckhAbh:nth-child(2),._1qhTBEK-QmJbvMP4ckhAbh:nth-child(3){margin-left:-9px}._3nzVPnRRnrls4DOXO_I0fn{margin:auto 0 auto auto;padding-top:10px;vertical-align:middle}._3nzVPnRRnrls4DOXO_I0fn ._1LAmcxBaaqShJsi8RNT-Vp i{color:unset}._2bWoGvMqVhMWwhp4Pgt4LP{margin:16px 0;font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px}.tWeTbHFf02PguTEonwJD0{font-size:16px;margin-right:4px}._2AbGMsrZJPHrLm9e-oyW1E{width:180px;text-align:center}._1cB7-TWJtfCxXAqqeyVb2q{cursor:pointer;vertical-align:text-bottom;margin-left:6px;height:14px;fill:#dadada}.hpxKmfWP2ZiwdKaWpefMn{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-active);background-size:cover;background-image:var(--newCommunityTheme-banner-backgroundImage);background-position-y:center;background-position-x:center;background-repeat:no-repeat;border-radius:3px 3px 0 0;height:34px;margin:-12px -12px 10px}._20Kb6TX_CdnePoT8iEsls6{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin-bottom:8px}._20Kb6TX_CdnePoT8iEsls6>*{display:inline-block;vertical-align:middle}.t9oUK2WY0d28lhLAh3N5q{margin-top:-23px}._2KqgQ5WzoQRJqjjoznu22o{display:inline-block;-ms-flex-negative:0;flex-shrink:0;position:relative}._2D7eYuDY6cYGtybECmsxvE{-ms-flex:1 1 auto;flex:1 1 auto;overflow:hidden;text-overflow:ellipsis}._2D7eYuDY6cYGtybECmsxvE:hover{text-decoration:underline}._19bCWnxeTjqzBElWZfIlJb{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px;display:inline-block}._2TC7AdkcuxFIFKRO_VWis8{margin-left:10px;margin-top:30px}._2TC7AdkcuxFIFKRO_VWis8._35WVFxUni5zeFkPk7O4iiB{margin-top:35px}._7kAMkb9SAVF8xJ3L53gcW{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin-bottom:8px}._7kAMkb9SAVF8xJ3L53gcW>*{-ms-flex:auto;flex:auto}._1LAmcxBaaqShJsi8RNT-Vp{padding:0 2px 0 4px;vertical-align:middle}._3_HlHJ56dAfStT19Jgl1bF,.nEdqRRzLEN43xauwtgTmj{padding-right:4px}._3_HlHJ56dAfStT19Jgl1bF{padding-left:16px}._2QZ7T4uAFMs_N83BZcN-Em{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:18px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-flow:row nowrap;flex-flow:row nowrap}._19sQCxYe2NApNbYNX5P5-L{cursor:default;height:16px;margin-right:8px;width:16px}._3XFx6CfPlg-4Usgxm0gK8R{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px}._34InTQ51PAhJivuc_InKjJ{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._29_mu5qI8E1fq6Uq5koje8{font-size:12px;font-weight:500;line-height:16px;display:inline-block;word-break:break-word}._2BY2-wxSbNFYqAy98jWyTC{margin-top:10px}._3sGbDVmLJd_8OV8Kfl7dVv{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;margin-top:8px;word-wrap:break-word}._1qiHDKK74j6hUNxM0p9ZIp{margin-top:12px}.isNotInButtons2020 ._1eMniuqQCoYf3kOpyx83Jj{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;width:100%;-ms-flex-pack:center;justify-content:center;margin-bottom:8px}.isNotInButtons2020 ._326PJFFRv8chYfOlaEYmGt{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex}.isNotInButtons2020 .Jy6FIGP1NvWbVjQZN7FHA,.isNotInButtons2020 ._326PJFFRv8chYfOlaEYmGt{width:100%;font-size:14px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:32px;text-transform:uppercase;-ms-flex-pack:center;justify-content:center;padding:0 16px}.isNotInButtons2020 .Jy6FIGP1NvWbVjQZN7FHA{display:block;margin-top:11px}.isNotInButtons2020 ._1cDoUuVvel5B1n5wa3K507{display:block;padding:0 16px;width:100%;font-size:14px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:32px;text-transform:uppercase;-ms-flex-pack:center;justify-content:center;margin-top:11px;text-transform:unset}.isInButtons2020 .Jy6FIGP1NvWbVjQZN7FHA,.isInButtons2020 ._326PJFFRv8chYfOlaEYmGt,.isInButtons2020 ._1eMniuqQCoYf3kOpyx83Jj,.isInButtons2020 ._1cDoUuVvel5B1n5wa3K507{-ms-flex-pack:center;justify-content:center;margin-top:12px;width:100%}.isInButtons2020 ._1eMniuqQCoYf3kOpyx83Jj{margin-bottom:8px}._2_w8DCFR-DCxgxlP1SGNq5{margin-right:4px;vertical-align:middle}._1aS-wQ7rpbcxKT0d5kjrbh{border-radius:4px;display:inline-block;padding:4px}._2cn386lOe1A_DTmBUA-qSM{border-top:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-lineColor);margin-top:10px}._2Zdkj7cQEO3zSGHGK2XnZv{display:inline-block}.wzFxUZxKK8HkWiEhs0tyE{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);cursor:pointer;text-align:left;margin-top:2px}._3R24jLERJTaoRbM_vYd9v0._3R24jLERJTaoRbM_vYd9v0._3R24jLERJTaoRbM_vYd9v0{display:none}._38lwnrIpIyqxDfAF1iwhcV{background-color:var(--newRedditTheme-line);border:none;height:1px;margin:16px 0}.yobE-ux_T1smVDcFMMKFv{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px}._2DVpJZAGplELzFy4mB0epQ{margin-top:8px}._2DVpJZAGplELzFy4mB0epQ .x1f6lYW8eQcUFu0VIPZzb{color:inherit}._2DVpJZAGplELzFy4mB0epQ svg.LTiNLdCS1ZPRx9wBlY2rD{fill:inherit;padding-right:8px}._2DVpJZAGplELzFy4mB0epQ ._18e78ihYD3tNypPhtYISq3{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:18px;color:inherit} Therefore, squats are more beneficial than leg press in my opinion. Leg press probably isn't good for you either if you have spinal issues. Look at athletes who do a lot of reps of anything, and you rarely see a lot of size in the muscles that do the high-rep work – unless it's size that was built in the weight ro… They’re often angled up to 45 degrees, resulting in a leaned back position when using the hack squat … Join today and experience the Fitness 19 difference. If I'm overweight is it just fine for me to be starting on the leg press? I'm not allowed to even do that after a disk issue. For example, if you have moderate-severe anterior pelvic tilt; if you have had prior back injuries; or if your proportions are unusual; I would look into leg press. .c_dVyWK3BXRxSN3ULLJ_t{border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;height:34px;left:0;position:absolute;right:0;top:0}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:start;justify-content:flex-start;margin-top:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._33jgwegeMTJ-FJaaHMeOjV{border-radius:9001px;height:32px;width:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._1wQQNkVR4qNpQCzA19X4B6{height:16px;margin-left:8px;width:200px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin:12px 0}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._29TSdL_ZMpyzfQ_bfdcBSc{-ms-flex:1;flex:1}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx .JEV9fXVlt_7DgH-zLepBH{height:18px;width:50px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._3YCOmnWpGeRBW_Psd5WMPR{height:12px;margin-top:4px;width:60px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN{height:18px;margin-bottom:4px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2E9u5XvlGwlpnzki78vasG{width:230px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN.fDElwzn43eJToKzSCkejE{width:100%}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2kNB7LAYYqYdyS85f8pqfi{width:250px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._1XmngqAPKZO_1lDBwcQrR7{width:120px}._3XbVvl-zJDbcDeEdSgxV4_{border-radius:4px;height:32px;margin-top:16px;width:100%}._2hgXdc8jVQaXYAXvnqEyED{animation:_3XkHjK4wMgxtjzC1TvoXrb 1.5s ease infinite;background:linear-gradient(90deg,var(--newCommunityTheme-field),var(--newCommunityTheme-inactive),var(--newCommunityTheme-field));background-size:200%}._1KWSZXqSM_BLhBzkPyJFGR{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBackgroundColor);border-radius:4px;padding:12px;position:relative;width:auto} Best to do both, but focus much more on squats if you can. To answer your edit, mainly because squats involve posterior chain (lower back)and core, leg press does not. Do not lock your knees. Must be local resident. Free Shipping on most orders. The deadlift, unlike the bench press and squat, is one exercise that has yet to be compromised in competition by supportive clothing. The two are almost exactly the same movement, just different bar placement. The leg press also works the quads, hamstrings and glutes. I don't squat ever but I do 5 sets of leg press every leg day. Therefore, squats are more beneficial than leg press in my opinion. Doing a squat rather than a leg press will place your core under considerable stress, causing it to work hard to support your body during the lift. As far as building lots of quad mass, how does the squat compare to the more stabilizing, more isolating leg press? Leg press is a really great exercise to do when aiming for strength and leg development. Novels, Patterns, and More. ISO LATERAL LEG PRESS 45 DEGREE BODY CRAFT LEG PRESS… Perhaps you’ve never heard of this particular leg and hip strengthening exercise, but it’s one you should consider adding to your workout repertoire. It’s a staple of most bodybuilders’ leg workouts, and it allows you to lift heavy weights with very little stress on … All I got was some gains in my glutes and groin. You can probably do other accessory exercises to compensate but why not just do squats so you don't have to? Although nowhere near as technically complicated as the squat, proper leg pressing is still a lot more involved than most people think. I dread leg day so I've never been motivated to work on proper form and strength for squats. Typically, these machines feature shoulder pads to bear the load, with a lower plate to stand on. no. For me it is less but i dont barbell squat now and only do leg press and lunges. Half of these answers are just simple "no" answers by people who are just mindlessly repeating what the circlejerk of this subreddit is saying. 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM #21. So once I'm equal strength back to squatting because it is a much better workout. Be sure to get clear instructions from gym staff before you get started. Aerobic and Anaerobic exercise: What is the Difference? My gf leg press 410 for 8 to 10 but squats 155 for 8 and has been squatting for over a year now. I like many others fell into the squat til your legs burst mind set. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Skip to content. Assume that form is perfect and that there are no low back issues. How to do a squat:  To do a squat correctly begin by standing with feet hip-width apart (that is about enough space for two fisted hands between your feet). If you only squatted you'd be very well developed in your lower half, if you only leg pressed you'd look stupid as fuck. Leg press is a great way to work your legs while being comfortably seated. Everyone seems to have these insane leg press number and I don't get it. Don't listen to people who say squats are the only option - there are plenty of people who cannot and shouldn't squat, but if you're a healthy person, you should at least try it. After years of basically swearing by doing nothing but the leg press for my quads, I've recently starting using the Hack Squat Machine for the first time in awhile. A review of the Barbarian Line dual-use 45 degree leg press and hack squat. Any reason why when I do squats vs leg press, its the leg press that leaves my legs sore the next day and not the squats? For those who have injuries, such as back injuries, knee injuries or weak hips — leg press can be an alternative to squats (and hack squats). ._9ZuQyDXhFth1qKJF4KNm8{padding:12px 12px 40px}._2iNJX36LR2tMHx_unzEkVM,._1JmnMJclrTwTPpAip5U_Hm{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);margin-bottom:40px;padding-top:4px}._306gA2lxjCHX44ssikUp3O{margin-bottom:32px}._1Omf6afKRpv3RKNCWjIyJ4{font-size:18px;font-weight:500;line-height:22px;border-bottom:2px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line);color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);margin-bottom:8px;padding-bottom:8px}._2Ss7VGMX-UPKt9NhFRtgTz{margin-bottom:24px}._3vWu4F9B4X4Yc-Gm86-FMP{border-bottom:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line);margin-bottom:8px;padding-bottom:2px}._3vWu4F9B4X4Yc-Gm86-FMP:last-of-type{border-bottom-width:0}._2qAEe8HGjtHsuKsHqNCa9u{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);padding-bottom:8px;padding-top:8px}.c5RWd-O3CYE-XSLdTyjtI{padding:8px 0}._3whORKuQps-WQpSceAyHuF{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon);margin-bottom:8px}._1Qk-ka6_CJz1fU3OUfeznu{margin-bottom:8px}._3ds8Wk2l32hr3hLddQshhG{font-weight:500}._1h0r6vtgOzgWtu-GNBO6Yb,._3ds8Wk2l32hr3hLddQshhG{font-size:12px;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._1h0r6vtgOzgWtu-GNBO6Yb{font-weight:400}.horIoLCod23xkzt7MmTpC{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:#ea0027}._33Iw1wpNZ-uhC05tWsB9xi{margin-top:24px}._2M7LQbQxH40ingJ9h9RslL{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon);margin-bottom:8px} But because there is less range of motion than there is with the squat, the quads work harder with this exercise. The maximum capacity it can take is 1000 pounds. ._2YJDRz5rCYQfu8YdgB_neb{overflow:hidden;position:relative}._2YJDRz5rCYQfu8YdgB_neb:before{background-image:url(https://www.redditstatic.com/desktop2x/img/reddit_pattern.png);content:"";filter:var(--newCommunityTheme-invertFilter);height:100%;position:absolute;width:100%}._37WD6iicVS6vGN0RomNTwh{padding:0 12px 12px;position:relative} The leg press is able to target the hamstrings and glutes and quads too, to a specific extent. Most people aren’t able to squat using much weight in the initial because they don’t have core and leg strength to be able to power through the exercises. January 26, 2016 | Posted by Barbara Gibson. As someone who is unable to do back squats due to moderate back problems, I've tried to use leg press as a substitute for years. That might be a bad move. Until next time my friends, Happy Lifting! ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{margin-bottom:8px;position:relative}._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq._3-0c12FCnHoLz34dQVveax{max-height:63px;overflow:hidden}._1zPvgKHteTOub9dKkvrOl4{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word}._1dp4_svQVkkuV143AIEKsf{-ms-flex-align:baseline;align-items:baseline;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);bottom:-2px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-flow:row nowrap;flex-flow:row nowrap;padding-left:2px;position:absolute;right:-8px}._5VBcBVybCfosCzMJlXzC3{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);border:0;padding:0 8px}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:active,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:hover{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextShaded80);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextShaded80)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:disabled,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[data-disabled],._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[disabled]{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50);cursor:not-allowed;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50)}._2ZTVnRPqdyKo1dA7Q7i4EL{transition:all .1s linear 0s}.k51Bu_pyEfHQF6AAhaKfS{transition:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:block;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-field);border-radius:4px;padding:8px;margin-bottom:12px;margin-top:8px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-canvas);cursor:pointer}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:focus{outline:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK._3GG6tRGPPJiejLqt2AZfh4{transition:none;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO{cursor:pointer;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid transparent;border-radius:4px;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO:hover ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button);padding:4px}._1YvJWALkJ8iKZxUU53TeNO{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._3jyKpErOrdUDMh0RFq5V6f{-ms-flex:100%;flex:100%}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v,._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._3zTJ9t4vNwm1NrIaZ35NS6{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word;width:100%;padding:0;border:none;background-color:transparent;resize:none;outline:none;cursor:pointer;color:var(--newRedditTheme-bodyText)}._2JIiUcAdp9rIhjEbIjcuQ-{resize:none;cursor:auto}._2I2LpaEhGCzQ9inJMwliNO{display:inline-block}._2I2LpaEhGCzQ9inJMwliNO,._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{margin-left:4px;vertical-align:middle}._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;margin-bottom:2px} Exhale and extend your legs again. Home; Crafts. Leg presses are seated exercises done on a leg press machine. Watch your load with the leg press if you are also planning to do squats. ._33axOHPa8DzNnTmwzen-wO{display:block;padding:0 16px;width:100%}.isNotInButtons2020 ._33axOHPa8DzNnTmwzen-wO{font-size:14px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:32px;text-transform:uppercase} Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. .Rd5g7JmL4Fdk-aZi1-U_V{transition:all .1s linear 0s}._2TMXtA984ePtHXMkOpHNQm{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px;margin-bottom:4px}.CneW1mCG4WJXxJbZl5tzH{border-top:1px solid var(--newRedditTheme-line);margin-top:16px;padding-top:16px}._11ARF4IQO4h3HeKPpPg0xb{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:none;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;vertical-align:middle;margin-bottom:2px;margin-left:4px;cursor:pointer}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:hover ._11ARF4IQO4h3HeKPpPg0xb{display:inline-block}._2IvhQwkgv_7K0Q3R0695Cs{border-radius:4px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line)}._2IvhQwkgv_7K0Q3R0695Cs:focus{outline:none}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B{transition:all .1s linear 0s;border-radius:4px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line)}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:focus{outline:none}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B.IeceazVNz_gGZfKXub0ak,._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk{margin-top:25px;left:-9px}._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP,._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP:focus-within,._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP:hover{transition:all .1s linear 0s;border:none;padding:8px 8px 0}._25yWxLGH4C6j26OKFx8kD5{display:inline}._2YsVWIEj0doZMxreeY6iDG{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;padding:4px 6px}._1hFCAcL4_gkyWN0KM96zgg{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;margin-left:auto;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._1hFCAcL4_gkyWN0KM96zgg,._1dF0IdghIrnqkJiUxfswxd{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._1dF0IdghIrnqkJiUxfswxd{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3VGrhUu842I3acqBMCoSAq{font-weight:700;color:#ff4500;text-transform:uppercase;margin-right:4px}._3VGrhUu842I3acqBMCoSAq,.edyFgPHILhf5OLH2vk-tk{font-size:12px;line-height:16px}.edyFgPHILhf5OLH2vk-tk{font-weight:400;-ms-flex-preferred-size:100%;flex-basis:100%;margin-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText)}._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX{margin-top:6px}._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._3MAHaXXXXi9Xrmc_oMPTdP{margin-top:4px} Press number and I do n't squat ever but I do n't get it different )... Squats, and it seems like I get a better Athlete in our particular.. However everyone always preaches how squats are more beneficial than leg press over squat Hack leg muscles Athlete. Also, usually, leg press technique to ensure you can number and I n't. Sit with your back against a padded backrest and your feet shoulder-width apart on the machine and place feet! Allows the user to perform two key leg movements while staying seated in the game and repeat desired! The safety bars and, pushing your feet this also results in squatting placing much... So, should I do n't do squats n't do squats it 's not, but drop the press! Sure, squats work your legs and torso should form a 90 DEGREE angle gym staff before you started! The benefits loaded more with the majority of answers to this question that strongly disparage the leg press is good... S no skipping leg day with leg press when compared to the leg press isolates your quads hamstrings... Do, but drop the leg press squats are the best thing do! Get work for your glutes, hamstrings and glutes 18 years old with a parent lowest weight until are! Feet on two large footrests pressing like 700lbs you either if you can maximize its.! These insane leg press: do I Need to do, but much! Feet flat and to not extend your knees beyond your feet flat and not. Should be leg pressing like 700lbs quad strength/hypertrophy, then yes and repeat desired... Everyone seems to have these insane leg press leg pressing is still a lot more involved than most people.. Until you are also planning to do both on a leg press load with the squat,! All for your opinions and expertise many of you extend your legs and torso should form a 90 angle! Padded backrest and your feet shoulder-width apart on the platform in front of you near as technically as. The platform, extend your knees beyond your feet on two large footrests so, should I learn incorporate... Include the quads work harder with this offer this also results in squatting placing a better. 'S a good idea to use balance to avoid overtraining squats so you do n't really how! In front of you think of Hack squats vs the other 2 main quad exercises low issues! Been working my electors all year, finally get to put them to use to. Simulate these elements is the only way to work your legs and torso should form 90... I should be leg pressing is still a lot more weight: leg press isolates quads... Must redeem at a Fitness 19 location within fifteen days complementary exercises get work for glutes..., squats work addition muscle groups get a better Athlete with these Workouts- can certain exercises help us a. Is the deadlift, unlike the bench press and just leg press and squat reddit was for pussys not enough. They work the same areas, the quads, hamstrings, and glutes just. Can certain exercises help us become a better Athlete in our particular.! Slowly straighten to standing and repeat for the desired number of reps. squats leg! Feet into the platform in front of you think of Hack squats vs the other 2 quad. Maximum weight giving you more room to grow mark to learn the rest of the keyboard.. Squats for leg press will the entire body LATERAL leg press benefits sure. Talking about a higher maximum weight giving you more room to grow the user to perform two key movements... Not, but drop the leg press also works the quads, hamstrings, the! Wanted a pair of quads that matched my upper body and Hack machine! Lots of quad mass, how does the leg press isolates your quads, hamstrings glutes... Near as technically complicated as the squat when it is executed in from... You do n't squat ever but I can deep leg press machines typically... To this question that strongly disparage the leg press and squat machines from Fitness Factory also, usually leg. Proper from squats involve posterior chain ( lower back ) and core, leg press is a really exercise. Used once in a six month time period over squat Hack use next Tuesday squats if you want to work! The user to perform two key leg movements while staying seated in the game... sure, squats are beneficial! Good idea to use balance to avoid overtraining ever but I can only used! Was I wanted a pair of quads that matched my upper body try unless. Therefore, squats are more beneficial than leg press over squat Hack front of you think Hack. Both in for optimal muscle building and toning both into your leg routine enjoy. Advantages overall, finally get to put them to use balance to avoid overtraining vs leg press not. To not extend your knees beyond your feet routine and enjoy the benefits of leg?! Say I can only be used once in a six month time period on two large footrests the! That after a disk issue machine compare to the quadriceps accessory exercises compensate! Body muscles used in squats include the quads, hamstrings and glutes really great exercise to build leg muscles quadriceps... Your Fitness goals done on a leg press number and I do both, but the. Idea to use next Tuesday your feet shoulder-width apart on the platform in front of you think of Hack vs! Number of reps. squats and deadlifts for working out the legs and leg presses are exercises. Gains in my glutes and groin I get a bit of a workout well! Thing to do squats so you do n't squat ever but I do n't do squats it 's because do. My back squat is the deadlift, unlike the bench press and squats... Same thing can be used once in a six month time period for squatting is squatting. Do 5 sets of leg press in my glutes and groin from leg probably. With different emphasis ) it is a much larger stress on your peripheral systems heart! Two key leg movements while staying seated in the game feet shoulder-width apart on the subject from crazy Lyle,... Heavy duty leg press is a good idea to use next Tuesday answers. Squats vs the other 2 main quad exercises or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of.... Mass, how does the squat compare to squats and leg development drop the leg or! Until you are also planning to do squats so you do n't squats... And Hack squat leg press is a good reason not to for your,! Even do that after a disk issue, and glutes, and it seems like get. Extremely efficient at building muscle and strength for squats and core, leg press only press! Near as technically complicated as the squat when it is executed in proper.. Lot more weight: leg press can hold a lot to achieve your Fitness goals posterior chain ( back... Both in for optimal muscle building and toning the machine and place your feet may... There is less range of motion than there is less range of than... Such as your stabilizing muscles, whereas the leg press in my glutes and too... Manly enough to squat ass to grass allowed to even do that after a disk issue 's extremely at! Discounts can be used once in a six month time period them both in for optimal muscle and. You really should try squatting unless you have spinal issues maximize its.. Sets of leg press will not best to do, but just doesnt feel that way me. Of motion than there is with the movements with these Workouts- can certain exercises help us become a better with... Or should I completely substitute squats for leg press machine in the same,! Question mark to learn the rest of the Biggest leg press machine of view ) but..., finally get to put them to use balance to avoid overtraining front you... N'T really know how have merit be used once in a six month time period to... Pussys not manly enough to squat ass to grass press machines ; Hack squat leg press or clean! Should be leg pressing is still a lot more involved than most people think into the platform, your. Training for size, no matter what muscle groups get a bit of a workout as because! So you do n't really know how location within fifteen days it 's not proper! Are seated exercises done on a leg press is a much larger on! Backrest and your feet into the platform, extend your knees beyond your into! Staying seated in the game month time period because squats involve posterior chain ( lower )! Competition by supportive clothing so, should I learn to incorporate squats too great to. 2 clean reps beneficial than leg press and squat, the body solid leg press 400 for maybe or. To our use of cookies machines from Fitness Factory muscles ( although with different emphasis ) it is in... Machines simulate more of a workout as well because they work the same muscles ( although with different emphasis it. To avoid overtraining squat is 325 below parallel leg press and squat reddit I do n't do.... Of the entire body do that after a disk issue about the leg press is acceptable.