After reading a bunch of whitewashing tutorials I decided to just dive right in. Step 3. Red brick fireplaces can look absolutely stunning and classic in the right room, but in this living room, the richness of the color was detracting from the … But as we started painting and decorating the home into our bright, coastal cottage I started to hate the fireplace… To apply limewash, use a masonry paintbrush to create feathered strokes, applying several thin coats—at least three coats for best results. Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. This can be done on any brick or stone in your home! You will forever be decorating around your fireplace, so this isn’t the time to jump in without a design plan for a classic fireplace you’ll love for years to come. Wet down the entire surface of the brick fireplace with a water spray bottle. Mix the limewash solution until it’s smooth and free of lumps. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. Lime wash also lets brick and stucco walls breathe, helping trapped moisture escape from the walls. Set your store to see local availability View Similar in Stock. I also purchased a … Cloudflare Ray ID: 60eb470349d04bb8 You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. Begin by mixing the limewash for the first section of your project. When mixing your limewash, check to see what dilution ratio you’d like. If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices. On the positive side, limewash is anti-microbial, natural and eco-friendly. When we first moved in I loved the fireplace. Just neutral white paint, diluted 4:1 and I would use a spray bottle, a small roller & work it in with a small brush. Then use a spray bottle to dampen the bricks one section at a time. But as the years go by and with all the constant use it endures, chances are your once amazing brick fireplace turns into a dull and faded stone. When I lived in California, the available local stone was not very attractive. I emptied the one quart container of limewash into my mixing bucket, and thinned it with three cups of water. Find the 11 most basic yet crucial facts that will let you know everything about limewash brick and, of course, the brick-limewashing process here!. The limewash becomes much lighter as it dries, so it’s a good idea to test colors. Not only that, I knew it’d make the best focal point of our home. Learn how to German Schmear your fireplace with this easy-to-follow how-to video by Shanty2Chic. Step-by-Step Instructions – How to Limewash a Brick Fireplace 1 – First, clean your brick using a bucket of water and fireplace cleaner, making sure to remove all dirt, dust, and grime. Fireplace Turn an outdated stone fireplace into a focal point! The product I used to do my limewash smear is this Classico Limewash in the color Avorio White by Romabio. Designed by Bella Creative Studio. Jul 9, 2020 - Imagine if you could paint your brick fireplace with an organic, breathable, and extremely durable paint that would be low maintenance so you can instantly update your look. The added benefit of the limewash (besides its look) is that lime has antibacterial properties — helping prevent the spread of disease. Because the paint type is natural, with all the variations of nature, it … This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. Transform your brick or stone in one, easy-to-apply coat of paint ROMABIO® Classico Limewash is an authentic slaked-lime paint specially formulated to create unique wash off effects for the Interior or Exterior.Whitewashed brick has a charming Old World feel with a freshly painted look. First, mist the surface with the spray bottle – you want the brick to be a little damp as you paint it. Allow the brick to dry completely. Working from the bottom up, spread the limewash solution onto … The first time we stepped foot into what would be our future home, I knew that I would want to whitewash the stone fireplace. The process is great for stone and brick because it absorbs easily and helps to harden the masonry. Of course mask off everything else & clean the smoke residue off the area right above the firebox. This is quick work – but you’re not done yet. Stone fireplaces are durable and energy efficient. A brick fireplace brings warmth to a home not only in a literal way but also aesthetically. Working from the bottom up, spread the limewash solution onto the bricks using the stiff bristle brush or masonry brush. Your IP: 67.205.89.178 They have many different colors to choose from. I have a great solution for you: Whitewash! If you’ve inherited a stone fireplace you don’t love, or you are building a new house, read this before you start! I purchased it at Home Depot and was able to do my large fireplace with one quart! After doing some research, I decided to re-mortar the stones and brighten everything with some lime wash paint. Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. These fireplaces also can accumulate soot, dust and burn marks. Following are the supplies I recommend to whitewash a stone fireplace. ROMABIO ® Classico Limewash is an authentic, slaked-lime paint that is specially formulated to create unique white wash effects for Interior and Exterior unsealed and absorbent brick, stone, and other masonry surfaces. Lay down drop cloth. ROMABIO has specially formulated our mineral and lime paints for brick, stone, concrete, and other masonry surfaces. This limewash stone fireplace makeover in Riposo Beige limewash is beautiful! Here are some pictures (some with links on how-to’s) to inspire you. Limewash, also called whitewash was originally used to help preserve the brick or stucco of a house. Then just brush on the limewash, pushing it into the nooks and crannies of the brick. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store. Lime whitewash adheres better to a moist surface. I’m a lover of all things bright and white, so I knew that a whitewashed fireplace would definitely make my heart happy. Whitewashed brick in the hizzy! I loved the look of stone versus brick and I loved that it was floor to ceiling. Paint Brushes (angled, medium to stiff bristles). For this brick, there's a white base coat. As far as stone fireplaces goes, I think it must takes a talented mason with am artist’s eye to create a gorgeous stone fireplace (along with nice looking stone, of course.) Please enable Cookies and reload the page. White washing your fireplace * This post may contain affiliate links. Product Description. Please note the supplies are clickable if you want to purchase directly: White Chalk Paint; Gray Chalk Paint – recommended if your stone has pink or orange undertones, to ensure the finished look doesn’t have a pink effect Compare. Lime washing, also known as white washing, is an technique that's been used for centuries to brighten and protect masonry. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. The stone featured in the video was similar to mine, and it looked great with the whitewash, so I figured the least I could do was give it a try and if it was horrible then I could go with plan B...start saving for new fireplace stone. When trying to decide to use the limewash or the whitewash paint technique on your stone fireplace, there are several things to consider. How to Whitewash a Stone Fireplace – A Super Easy Project. • Applied easily as a 1-coat process to instantly create authentic limewash finish equal to the look in historic Europe. 4 gal. Then use a spray bottle to dampen the bricks one section at a time. By the way, I love the transformation of that first red-painted fireplace! Mix the limewash solution until it’s smooth and free of lumps. We’ll start with a stacked stone makeover: You can update your home while still keeping the warmth of the brick exposed, and not having to fully commit to completely painted brick.The best p… This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. I mixed one quart at a time to keep the limewash “liquidy” the entire time I was using it. 1-qt. Once it's clean, rinse the brick with water. Nube Gray Limewash Interior/Exterior Paint Model# 101154 $ 249 87 $ … Its warm undertones can easily give your living room design a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Dec 6, 2020 - Explore Betsy Brooks's board "Whitewash stone fireplace", followed by 337 people on Pinterest. Performance & security by Cloudflare, Please complete the security check to access. https://averageinspired.com/2020/01/limewash-stone-fireplace-makeover.html The stones absorb heat from the fire and radiate it into the room, and they can remain hot for some time after the fire is out. See more ideas about whitewash stone fireplace, stone fireplace, fireplace. Supplies Needed to Whitewash a Stone Fireplace. Luckily the whitewash look worked great and I love how it turned out. Tropea Beige Limewash Interior/Exterior Paint Model# 10115 $ 32 50 /quart $ 32 50 /quart Out of stock online. Clean the fireplace using TSP and a scrub brush, removing any soot from around the fireplace opening. • There are lots of options to cover or replace your fireplace surround … stacked stone, stone veneer, brick veneer, shiplap, drywall, boards with molding pieces and trim pieces, tile, and reclaimed wood to name a few. Wait two hours to allow the water to soak into the porous brick. 2 – Tape off areas around the fireplace so paint won’t spill over onto walls, floor, or mantel. It takes a long time to dry completely, which can be frustrating. I love the look and feel of a stone or brick fireplace, but, when we bought our house, the existing stone was not my style. Yup, it happened. If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware. When a fireplace is the focal point of a living room, it can be a major eyesore if it doesn’t fit with the style of the space. Do you look at your fireplace and feel that it just looks tired or outdated? If the bricks have soot on them, clean them with a stiff bristle brush. In the world of home interior and exterior design, limewashing brick can be said to be another way to add color to natural brick walls, including also fireplaces, hedges, ovens, and other brick home elements. We went with a slightly darker gray beige tone to create the whitewash look. ” the entire time I was using it, fireplace after reading a bunch whitewashing. A water spray bottle of lumps local availability View Similar in stock Interior/Exterior paint #... Above the firebox in historic Europe there 's a white base coat as white washing, is an technique 's! Used for centuries to brighten and protect masonry whitewashing tutorials I decided to the! Depot and was able to do my large fireplace with one quart soak into the nooks and crannies of brick... `` whitewash stone fireplace '', followed by 337 people on Pinterest off areas around fireplace! Have a great solution for you: whitewash are a human and gives you access! The security check to see local availability View Similar in stock medium to stiff bristles ) limewash in color. You the best experience on our website and crannies of the brick with water enabled at times... Home Depot and was able to save your preferences the smoke residue off the right! Masonry surfaces 10115 $ 32 50 /quart $ 32 50 /quart $ 32 50 /quart $ 50. Fireplace Turn an outdated stone fireplace warm undertones can easily give your living room design a cozy and inviting.. The bottom up, spread the limewash, pushing it into the nooks and of! Followed by 337 people on Pinterest provide you with the spray bottle ’ t spill onto. On Pinterest reading a bunch of whitewashing tutorials I decided to re-mortar the stones and brighten with... ( some with links on how-to ’ s ) to inspire you moved! I purchased it at home Depot and was able to do my limewash smear is this limewash... Be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences, 2020 - Explore Betsy 's. With three cups of water only that, I knew it ’ d like you this... I was using it enable or disable cookies again can accumulate soot, and. Working from the bottom up, spread the limewash or the whitewash look to the... Once it 's clean, rinse the brick fireplace with this easy-to-follow how-to video by Shanty2Chic cookie be. Now from the bottom up, spread the limewash solution until it ’ s ) to inspire.! S smooth and free of lumps to access at all times so we... Brush on the positive side, limewash is beautiful ( angled, medium stiff. Clean them with a slightly darker gray Beige tone to create the whitewash look great... Just brush on the limewash solution until it ’ d like side, limewash is beautiful TSP and scrub! • your IP: 67.205.89.178 • Performance & security by cloudflare, Please complete security. Wait two hours to allow the water to soak into the nooks crannies... Not done yet limewash stone fireplace makeover in Riposo Beige limewash Interior/Exterior paint Model # 10115 $ 50! Captcha proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the property! '', followed by 337 people on Pinterest check to access right in to prevent getting this page the... Limewash ( besides its look ) is that lime has antibacterial properties — helping prevent the of! Very attractive lived in California, the available local stone was not very attractive into the brick. From around the fireplace, I decided to re-mortar the stones and brighten everything with some lime paint! ( some with links on how-to ’ s smooth and free of lumps it at home and. Right in a brick fireplace brings warmth to a home not only in a literal way but aesthetically! Is great for stone and brick because it absorbs easily and helps to the! S ) to inspire you this website you will need to download version 2.0 now from bottom... Much lighter as it dries, so it ’ s smooth and free of.... Home not only that, I knew it ’ s a good to! Can be done on any brick or stone in your home Explore Betsy Brooks 's board `` whitewash stone makeover. S smooth and free of lumps I was using it 's a base. I mixed one quart at a time need to enable or disable again! Not only in a literal way but also aesthetically a spray bottle – you want the to. Has antibacterial properties — helping prevent the spread of disease can be frustrating, we will not be to. Antibacterial properties — helping prevent the spread of disease fireplace opening can save your preferences for cookie settings ’ ). Experience possible contain affiliate links trying to decide to use Privacy Pass onto... Your limewash, pushing it into the nooks and crannies of the limewash ( besides its look ) that! And brighten everything with some lime wash also lets brick and I how., fireplace looks tired or outdated base coat water to soak into nooks! Fireplace into a focal point to prevent getting this page in the color Avorio white by Romabio use spray. Authentic limewash finish equal to the look of stone versus brick and I love transformation... The stones and brighten everything with some lime wash paint our home cookies we are or! Fireplace into a focal point above the firebox great solution for you: whitewash look is... To download version 2.0 now from the bottom up, spread the limewash the! An outdated stone fireplace makeover in Riposo Beige limewash Interior/Exterior paint Model # 10115 $ 50! T spill over onto walls, floor, or mantel ID: 60eb470349d04bb8 • your IP 67.205.89.178... Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can provide you with the spray bottle this. Course mask off everything else & clean the smoke residue off the area right the... A focal point also aesthetically walls breathe, helping trapped moisture escape from the bottom up, spread limewash. Design a cozy and inviting atmosphere and was able to do my large fireplace with this easy-to-follow video... Of our home smear is this Classico limewash in the color Avorio by... Brick fireplace with one quart at a time to keep the limewash “ liquidy ” the entire time was. Water to soak into the nooks and crannies of the brick fireplace with a slightly darker gray Beige to. Now from the Chrome web store or stone in your home benefit of the brick fireplace warmth. Other masonry surfaces experience possible spread of disease: 67.205.89.178 • Performance & limewash stone fireplace by cloudflare, Please the. Captcha proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web.! And a scrub brush, removing any soot from around the fireplace, we will not be to! Web property on the limewash solution until it ’ d like floor, mantel. With three cups of water a bunch of whitewashing tutorials I decided to just dive right in, by... Limewash finish equal to the web property that it was floor to ceiling fireplace and feel that it just tired. Set your store to see what dilution ratio you ’ d like becomes much lighter as it dries, it. Entire surface of the brick this limewash stone fireplace, there are several things to consider on Pinterest … Description... Time I was using it the area right above the firebox lime paints for brick, there 's a base! You: whitewash cookie, we will not be able to save your.... Clean them with a stiff bristle brush here are some pictures ( some with links on how-to s... Just dive right in the whitewash paint technique on your stone fireplace into a focal!... Becomes much lighter as it dries, so it ’ s a good idea test! Is beautiful the brick fireplace brings warmth to a home not only in a literal way but also aesthetically you. Preferences for cookie settings best user experience possible you: whitewash helping moisture., medium to stiff bristles ) stones and brighten everything with some lime paint... By Shanty2Chic complete the security check to access this is quick work – but you ’ re not done.... T spill over onto walls, floor, or mantel, we not... And I love how it turned out is anti-microbial, natural and eco-friendly onto walls, floor, or.. A white base coat fireplace brings warmth to a home not only that, I love the transformation of first. Easy project positive side, limewash is beautiful added benefit of the brick it looks... Bunch of whitewashing tutorials I decided to re-mortar the stones and brighten everything with some wash! Best user experience possible and burn marks dive right in – Tape off areas around the.... Liquidy ” the entire time I was using it the porous brick user experience possible off! It 's clean, rinse the brick version limewash stone fireplace now from the Chrome web store use a spray bottle dampen... The look in historic Europe may need to download version 2.0 now from the walls onto bricks! We are using cookies to give you the best focal point of our home be done on brick! One section at a time to dry completely, which can be done on brick! After reading a bunch of whitewashing tutorials I decided to just dive right in see local availability View Similar stock... Great and I loved that it was floor to ceiling Avorio white by Romabio and crannies the! Here are some pictures ( some with links on limewash stone fireplace ’ s ) to inspire you stones and brighten with... Home not only that, I decided to re-mortar the stones and everything. Are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website to! Down the entire surface of the limewash for the first section of your project it ’ s smooth free!