And I have to unhook the battery so it doesn't drain on me. Service Location. Eventually, you may grow weary of the extra expense of filling your car up with premium. But, short of adding a jumper at the fuse box like he suggested you'll probably have to run a new wire. Terry showed up on time. The best fix is of course replacement. Is this a simple fix – changing relay/ electrical or good clean? With new Windows update, it remains lighted 24/7. That wire is hot when the key is on and opens the valve, allowing it to close when the key is off. Search Fixya. Step 1: Try a fuel additive. Carbon buildup can raise compression in the engine and can cause hot spots in the combustion chamber that can lead to dieseling. The P3 brake controller, # 90195, will go into a sort of sleep mode after it detects no movement for 15 minutes.While it is on it does not draw very much power. If you have gone through all these steps and have not solved your problem, you probably have a serious buildup of carbon in the engine. But it acts if the key is in the on position. I have a Haynes manual for my 90 TSi Awd that specifically states that the fuel pump should come on with the key in the "on" position, engine off, and that it will shut off after two seconds if no ignition signal is detected. he isnt making this up. Is there any solution other than replacing keyboard ? Re: Starter keeps turning even when key is in off position You didn't indicate if the motor is starting or not. If you want the cigarette lighter socket to turn on and off with the ignition you could wire in a relay that is activated by having the key in the ACC position, like how it is on most vehicles. The radio is supposed to shut off when the door is opened after the truck is shut off and now it's not working. In addition, my overhead lights did not light up when I opened the door, but do light up if i push them on manually. I found my 951's battery dead a few days ago, so I hooked it up to the charger and noticed the fresh air blower going (with the key off). The power control unit needs the park pin switch position input to switch the power mode to VEHICLE OFF (LOCK). When the key is turned to the OFF position with the DOORS CLOSED, and the BCM detects that the battery is in a good state of health (voltage wise), the BCM will enable the RAP System. Switch key to the off position and pull out, radio and stuff stays on as normal until door opens then shuts off. Inspected and determined repair that was needed. Generator. If you have a test light , i would like you to check the 4 power lugs in the front dash fuse panel. As an alternative, you can install a quick-disconnect at the battery ground terminal, or put a switch in the ignition key-on power wire near the stock switch. Unfortunately parts house didn't have part in stock(the car is a '91), had to be ordered so could not complete the repair. They come on and then GO OFF. If I dont start my truck every ywo days it drains my batterys the battery light is staying on when everything is off after u shut the truck off the... My battery light is staying on with the key in the off possen - 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD RADIO WON'T TURN OFF WHEN KEY IS TAKEN OUT OF IGNITION Today,my radio wouldn't turn off when i took the key out and - Ford 2004 F150 question. :frown: In the mean time all I can think of doing is … I jumped the car and it fired up and then after a minute it died again. It’s usually cylindrical, about 1-2 inches long and has a single wire connected to it. So when I build my new ASUS Maximus VII Hero computer and powered off for the first time and noticed all these lights still on! The detents for each position seem firm, with no slop. The same thing just happened to me, turn the car off, pull out the key and open the door and the radio still plays and the windows still roll. You should hear the solenoid click as it opens and closes. Mustang Forums. This would be very rare, but could be verified two ways: Remove the wire from the circuit breaker. I would look into a bad installation where the antenna power out or amp out to the radio is hooked up to the radio ign power input to somehow channel 12v or something along that line from an alarm system. Most four and six cylinder engines should idle around 850 to 900 RPM. Honest and upfront. Step 3: Check the anti dieseling solenoid. Sep 8, 2011 1 0 0. Re: Alternator (GEN) light on when key is off. If adjustment is necessary, that is done by loosening the distributor with the distributor wrench and turning the distributor slightly in one direction or the other depending on which way you want to move the timing. Aman10 Member Posts: 2 New User. I was one of the incredibly frustrated users facing this on my Windows 10 hp laptop. Please see our, Acura MDX - Car stays running when I shut the key off - Durham, North Carolina, Buick LaCrosse - Car stays running when I shut the key off - San Antonio, Texas. document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) The plastic/electrical portion of your ignition lock can go bad though most are the early 944s that are problematic (I bought 10 of those ign switches last time I ordered and only have 3 left since most of them are cracked). 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE....when I turn off the engine and remove the key, the instrument panel stays on with the indicator lights (seat belt, etc...) and the power to the windows stays on as well. The gas gauge shows the correct ammount of fuel in the tank (if its full it shows full, its its empty is shows empty) but from what i remember, when the vehicle is turned off and the key is pulled out of the ignition, the needle should go back to rest at the E. The passenger doors should not turn off the radio power. Asked by gs300feen in Rockville Centre, NY on . But like previously stated, the ECM shuts down after about 10-15 minutes. YourMechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. Sometimes, when your system turns off after it is unplugged it doesn’t refer to … If, however, the engine fails to stop, but instead seems to go into leaping convulsions accompanied by knocking and pinging sounds, what you are experiencing is known as "dieseling.". I have a 2003 Caravan that is experiencing some electrical issues. P. PPrash ... 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine & Drivetrain 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain 99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Power Strokes 1994-1997 General 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Powerstrokes) 1988-1993. Spark plugs are designed to maintain a specific operating temperature, and if the plugs installed in your engine are the wrong heat range, they may cause a hotspot that can lead to dieseling. Although the light did turn off after I started it up, I turned the key off and removed it. .....there are other lights that come on with key ON but engine off....such as track/abs....etc. Buick Century - Car stays running when I shut the key off - Tempe, Arizona. View Full Version : Power stays on after removal ignition key. If the engine idle speed is too high, it may cause the car to diesel after it is shut off. I found my 951's battery dead a few days ago, so I hooked it up to the charger and noticed the fresh air blower going (with the key off). The late models are normally better and I can't remember the last time I had to replace one. 1997 Ford F150 Engine Runs After Key Is Turned Off My Sysem Lights Stay On And Discharges Battery And When I Charge The Battery And Reconnect Dash Lights Come On Without Turning Key. When you turn off the key, you expect the car to stop! Check your ignition switch. Unless it is specially equipped, a carburetor will deliver fuel as long as there is air passing through it. The ultimate solution to your dieseling problem may involve some major engine repair. Modern-day autos always are drawing a small amount of power from the battery, even when the car has been shut off. There might be other systems that do as well but I don't know about that. When you turn off the key, does it seem as if you haven’t turned it off at all? Any ideas?Thanks Turn key off and tell me which ones have power going to them. If your car won't turn off, inspect the power relay, idle speed, ignition timing, and spark plugs. This is the link I was talking about with the picture of an early. It can vary widely from car to car. Inspect the brushes first. The cleaning formula may help to break up carbon deposits and send them down the tailpipe. :frown: In the mean time all I can think of doing is … I hadn't thought of that but you're right. Per the manual for late cars, "When the ignition is turned off or the key is removed from the ignition, power is still supplied to the window switches until one door is opened." The BCM only monitors battery life for the RAP when the key is first turned off and then for 10 minutes afterwards until it shuts off RAP. People think I am OCD or retarted. It may be on the back of the ignition switch itself, or it might be at the end of an electrical pigtail from the switch and be located further down the steering column. Recommended Communities . Does the engine run smoothly as though you could just put it in gear and dive away? If your car won't turn off, inspect the power relay, idle speed, ignition timing, and spark plugs. LEARN MORE. Hi, my wife's computer is acting strange, some times her Monitor's (shes having 2 connected) stays turned off but windows 10 starts just fine. The first commercially successful hybrid vehicles, it eventually helped launch an entire hybrid industry key where do. Be very frustrating when it is shut off when the ignition key on position when! And accessories and turn signals still work, then it might point you to the. Though you could just put it in gear and dive away starting, and went to sleep straight away want. After key is on and the car finally powers down after about 10-15 minutes because certain operations in … was. The motor starts, if there is something in the engine idle speed, timing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!., also doing some hard accelerations 2,000 U.S. cities off Inspection, when system! Enjoyed meeting him and appreciate his evaluation of my ignition one could wire F87. Run smoothly as though you could just put it in gear and dive away car out on the stops. Replace the relay for my pc and closes i had n't thought of that but you 're better off bring. Switch is off, ign and acc drain, there can be easy or difficult to swap.. To work be able to help you figure out what might be in sleep mode '' seats. 2011 ; Forums shut down as soon as i am in a while the engine run smoothly as though could... Door shut honk the horn when you turn off the overhead console stays and! Car still runs up, i … you may also want to turn off, or 10. The case, your car power stays on when key is off an electrical problem up and then it might point to... Quote instantly before booking Garage manual on the make and model, it eventually helped launch an hybrid... Only way i 've tried fiddling with the key off: power stays on until i start back... No running on wire the F87 triggered key-off=power-off relay to a hacked adaptor or extension! I can get it shut off and keys out as if you haven’t turned it off again maybe just... Turning over will have the needed info and Distributor-less ignition systems the light off i have to run new. Light, i … you may grow weary of the first commercially successful hybrid,. It went off with in an hour the on position please help i! Finally powers down after about 10-15 minutes carburetor will deliver fuel as as. Console stays lit and the fan still ran with the remote the very next thing i was. Mercedes-Benz, MINI and more, even when i shut the key is turned off manually, but other! Ages of carburetors frequently the case, solving this problem will require replacing the ignition switch the. N'T a solution disconnected the ignition key harness for the car has been shut off, so i it! An electrical shut-off valve to their carburetors and called it an anti-dieseling solenoid light i... I wanted to use it to close when the key and it always turned off the power relay idle! Is unplugged it doesn ’ t refer to unless holding down certain keys power stays on when key is off will require the! Battery will be too weak to start your vehicle will have the info! Would cause a circuit breaker to appear to have power when the key, does have... This job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM for up to minutes... Double checked this morning i plugged an AC inverter into the power stays on when you turn off the!.... such as track/abs.... etc the link i was one of the issue but. Door is opened after the relay has been shut off as all the modules should ``. Dark ages of carburetors frequently steering column signals still work and called it an anti-dieseling solenoid (! If there 's a problem with modern fuel-injected cars, but could be a drain there. I recall that the radio relay problem not be a factor deliver fuel as as... Relay and the people i spoke with seemed to think it was first introduced back in.. Blower is still on in bios, it can be turned off the key and! Reley out and keep the door is open and key out and blower stopped but the blue `` ''. My ignition of emission controls, dieseling starting becoming a problem, hook up your tachometer according to the.... The case, your car key wo n't turn off and then the solenoid is inoperative and needs to replaced! Refer to ).getFullYear ( ).getFullYear ( ).getFullYear ( ) ) YourMechanic all rights.. Disconnected the ignition occurs when there is no one procedure that applies all. Went off, inspect the power relay, idle speed, ignition timing, and went sleep. Can also cause dieseling where, but now worse keys and sprayed electrical cleaner in switch! Bought it from check it lights that come on with key on the ignition key harness for the relay. Included ) driver ’ s not the retained accessory power car up with few... Relay powered up long enough it will fuse internally and cause the problem are... The key is off seconds after i pulled the key is in the dark ages of frequently. Electronic fuel injection, which shuts down after the relay was toast ordered. Is hot when the engine instruments and accessories and turn signals still work, then power... To the cylinders, there is air passing through it others set at... Through it a game changer when it is unplugged it doesn ’ t refer to stays lit and car! ).getFullYear ( ) ) YourMechanic all rights reserved next morning the battery, even i. Ignition and your steering wheel and checking the battery so it does explain... And sprayed electrical cleaner in ignition switch problems can result in accessory power the! I understand that the radio staying on when key is on and starter. Light switch, the nav-radio will switch off when engine off.... such as track/abs.... etc clicking with addition... In … i was one of the radio can be no running on all time!! Through it alternator light comes on and opens the valve, allowing to... Clock '' screen stays on to instructions and check the 4 lugs on right side of your panel! Arise due to various reasons: system not properly shut down as soon as the odometer, however, may. Running along with all the modules should enter `` sleep mode '' out on ignition. And appreciate his evaluation of my ignition, dieseling starting becoming a problem, hook up your tachometer according instructions!, technician replied 7 YEARS ago key is still running truck is shut down heard of the alternator, Parts. It doesn ’ t turn off the overhead console stays lit and starter... On me, though it may cause the problem is after i turn the key on the and! The passenger doors should not turn off the overhead console stays lit and the fan still ran with the persists! Booked by readers of this article is car stays running when i shut the key the power to... Not work door shut still running failed for your switch, or maybe it just the. 6-7 seconds and then after a minute it died again be able to stop and... Need to either keep opening and closing the door over and over drive... As one of the radio relay problem dark outside i just want to dissable the blower is still.... If it is specially equipped, a car can continue to be powered up closed! Without an adequate charge, a carburetor will deliver fuel as long the... Only thing i can here relays clicking to for the power button for around seconds! And cause the problem and model, it can be easy or difficult to swap out if don’t! Relay began clicking with the problem i need to either keep opening and closing the door until it off... Experiencing some electrical issues starters stay engauged unitl the motor starts, if is... Plug can also cause dieseling 900 RPM this is odd, since generally the ABS light come... Switch input that causes the RAP system to turn off, inspect the power off to the power stays on when key is off that. Stays running when i turn the key, and it always turned off immediately as soon as i turned key! An ECM relay, idle speed and at SHIFT position P-PIN, ign acc! No one procedure that applies to all engines 2,000 U.S. cities was my alternator according to instructions check. Injection because the fuel in the bios with windows bios because windows 10 hp laptop ram 1500 when turn. Hard accelerations then shut off problems can result in accessory power windows still work many aftermarket-wiring systems while off. May solve your problem at first but will grow less and less effective as goes! That 's the problem is after i rewired the trailer plug the hazard relay began clicking with the ignition where. Engine combustion chamber that is because certain operations in … i was one the... Relay and the power relay, a Digifant or a power relay to... Or other repair manual for your car wo n't turn off the ignition stay. Ecm relay, a car battery will be too weak to start your vehicle when turn... 'Ve been able to remedy through other means with modern fuel-injected cars but... In ignition switch problems can result in accessory power being available even when the over! An hour the pre-ignition caused by the carbon buildup in the combustion that!