After replacing the fuel hoses, replace the primer bulb as well. If the tank has plenty of fuel, be sure the primer bulb is filling properly before you start the engine. The primer bulb, yes. His articles have appeared in "Outside Missoula, Outside Bozeman," "Hello Chengdu" and online at GoNomad.com and various other websites. Echo Primer Bulbs: Jacks is your Place! The next thing I would look into is the ignition on your merc. I'm not sure if they are defective or just a poor design but they don't last, I have changed it every time I go to use the tiller. primer bulb won't fill with gas when pressed. Do that a couple of times and see if it will fill. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in creative writing from the University of Montana. A primer will pump a small amount of gas into the carburetor. Little affair but very convenient to wield around while pruning trees and bushes. Ps: I have no problem watching videos on youtube at 1080p with 60 fps. Trying to fix a 2 cycle grass trimmer/edger. There is a little bit of a whistle after the bulb is pushed but, like I said, bubbles go up toward the cap after about three pushes. Thank you for your help. We have the Primer Bulbs you need, with fast shipping and great prices! 0 votes Allen, I am glad to hear you have the unit up and running. I've absolutely had this problem and solved it by replacing the primer bulb. No holes in the bulb and the lines seem intact. Mike. In the fall again before I can use it I must change it. Motor siezed, ran back on second motor. I've got the same tiller and have replaced the primer bulb several times. First, prime the engine by pressing the flexible primer bulb, a small rubber or silicone bulb located on your snow blower near the carburetor, three to five times. The primer bulb acts like a vacuum in place of the crankshaft when it isn’t spinning. Any Hints are gratefully appreciated. Engine starts but only runs for a few seconds, and after a couple of times, won't even do that. Inspect the fuel lines for cracks or loose connections. Fuel lines, no. Why is something so simple so hard to get working. The entire fuel system must maintain an airtight seal for everything to work properly. Then from the carburetor to the primer and back to the tank. Slide the clamp off the nipple on the pump, and back onto the body of the fuel hose. At least half full on the ones I have. Currently based in Minneapolis, Minn., Eric Blankenburg has been a freelance journalist since 2000. It pushes air out of the fuel lines and sucks gas into the carburetor. I checked to make sure the bulb is pointing the right way and even flipped it around just to try it out. When you take the fuel cap off for refueling, grass, dirt and other debris can fall into the tank. If the primer bulb airlocks and won’t seem to get any fuel: Disconnect the fuel line from the engine side of the bulb. or drain immediately after pumping it up ? All Rights Reserved. When you take the fuel cap off for refueling, grass, dirt and other debris can fall into the tank. Gas Snowblower: Won't stay running. Good luck. Any help is appreciated. The primer bulb can’t suck it up without removing it. It is hard to throw away a trimmer that I know will run but for something in the fuel system I can't discover. What It Does . The primer bulb went down and wouldn't come back up until I loosened the screws but it won't prime, I can see fuel going back and forth in the line but it won't fill the bulb. Joined May 29, 2011 Messages 65. My old McCulloch chainsaw has two lines from the tank (I know cause I just replaced them both) ... one feeds directly to the carb .. the other is routed from the tank through the priming bulb and then to the carb inlet. This allows enough gas to reach the carburetor and cylinder for ignition, so you can start a cold engine. You are using an out of date browser. Hi, I have a Poulan WT 200 leaf blower with a brand new 530071775 carb,new fuel lines and a new fuel filter.I can't get the primer bulb to fill with fuel.I've tried with the carb attached & unattached to the engine block.I took pics of the fuel line configuration before I started so they are re-connected properly. Answered in 1 hour by: 6/1/2012. Gas Snowblower: Won't stay running. If your engine only runs for a few seconds and then shuts off, you could have a gummed-up carburetor. The bulb and line can become clogged or tangled. The primer bulb acts like a vacuum in place of the crankshaft when it isn’t spinning. A faulty bulb/primer may sometimes send fuel without a problem and other times may take excessive cranking to prime. Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map! Service these areas as necessary. Most likely, the gas is getting blocked at the source. With the arrow on the primer bulb facing the sky or holding the primer bulb vertically up or down. Yes. It pushes air out of the fuel lines and sucks gas into the carburetor. I just replaced the fuel diaphram on my Stihl weedeater, it wouldn't hold fuel in the bulb at all. Often impurities in the gas will block up these valves and stop all fuel from flowing. Well I didn't make the end of the month. The primer bulb is attached to the second or purge hose. Step 3. Most likely, the gas is getting blocked at the source. marbobj. How to fix a primer bulb that won’t prime and fill with gas, small carburetor, small carb. It can float in the gas and settle against the fuel filter, blocking all in-flowing gas. There are bubbles in the tank when I push the primer bulb and, when the tank is full, some gas comes out of the tank at the cap. Allen by Manage My Life. Links below may help trouble shoot your issue including manual. If your engine only runs for a few seconds and then shuts off, you could have a gummed-up carburetor. Jul 5, 2011 #3 Re: Fuel Primer bulb wont stay hard! Primer bulbs aren't meant to stay "hard" , they are designed to pump fuel to the motor before start up and then the fuel pump does the work, and while that is happening the bulb will … The engine probably starts because gas enters the cylinder when you press the primer bulb. When the primer won’t hold fuel in the bulb something is either blocking the flow of fuel or air. The primer bulb pulls fuel from the carb into the bulb and dumps back to the tank; Check the fuel supply and return lines to ensure that they are not cracked, bent or kinked; (My Stihl has this really weird vent based on 2 threaded screws in a plastic tube. It remains only at 720p resolution. I noticed that initially I get some bubbles of air coming out of the line in the fuel filter until it is half way full. I have a 2000 20' cobia CC with a 150hp Yamaha. I replaced the bulb, replaced the primer button assy, don't know what else. Inspect the carburetor mounting gasket seal for tears or improper fit. Blower, lawn mower, weed eater, trimmer A primer bulb can be pumped by hand but must be pressed three or four times to do its job. A primer bulb that's lost its suppleness doesn't respond as a new one does. Show Less. It really depends on the Brand, Model and Age of hand held equipment regarding how it is plumbed and if it is really a primer bulb or just a purge bulb. Still won't fill, but I noticed that if I put my finger over the tube in the gas tank (that is connected to the primer) it will fill. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Another common source of air leaks is the connection point of the carburetor and fuel hoses. also found a manual for that model, it says "push primer bulb until fuel is just seen in the bulb" so doesn't sound like it should be full before cranking at least (doesn't say anything about later). Discussion Starter • #5 • Mar 22, 2014. Category: Small Engine. It works by squirting fuel into your engine. Only checked the lines to see if there was a clog. The primer bulb attaches to the fuel hose system. Drain all the fuel from the tank and clean it out with a brush and rag. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton 650 Series 6.5HP for those who may have this mower and can help me. If the engine is equipped with a manual fuel primer, inspect this primer for cracks or leaks. Inspect the carburetor mounting for loose hardware. What next? Contrary to popular belief, it does not squirt a little gas into the engine to get it going. Everything looks good and clean and it is only two years old. Any help on how to get the airlock out or what I should try will be appreciated. Often, primer bulbs can crack or puncture slightly, which will cause enough air to leak into the system to stop the primer from holding fuel. My fuel primer bulb won't get hard and I think this is why my Yamaha 250 HPDI is cutting out at higher throttle settings. Gone Wild . Engine won't start. Have taken it apart. Please keep us in mind if you have any other problems with anything around the house. When the primer won't prime, the engine won't run. Does anyone know how to help me? JavaScript is disabled. Submitted: 8 years ago. First, prime the engine by pressing the flexible primer bulb, a small rubber or silicone bulb located on your snow blower near the carburetor, three to five times. ENGINE DOES NOT START, PURGE/PRIMER BULB WILL NOT FILL WITH GAS. If the edges have gummed up and stuck to the primer body, the bulb won't fill and symptoms are a bulb that stays pushed in. When you push the bulb, the edges seal shut and gas can't flow back to the tank. The primer bulb fills and the trimmer starts up 2-3 pulls! If gas blockage is not the problem, check for air blockage or leakage from the fuel system. I have therefore concluded that the priming bulb is only used for "priming" and the other line feeds the engine while running. If the primer bulb sticks, however, you can't start the motor no matter how many times you generate that spark. How to Troubleshoot a String Trimmer That Won't Prime Image ... fully press and then release the primer for another round of 10 to see if that's the solution. Which there isn’t. Once they are full of incompressible liquid, squeeze bulbs are very positive in sending fuel to the motor until its fuel pumps can get a firm lock on the liquid fuel. Craftsman weed eater 358.791010 primer bulb won't pull gas. The older (up to late 1980's/ early 1990's) equipment had actual Primer bulbs exactly as AJP described. All failing, put it on Ebay. My fuel primer bulb won't get hard and I think this is why my Yamaha 250 HPDI is cutting out at higher throttle settings. When the primer won’t hold fuel in the bulb something is either blocking the flow of fuel or air. It can float in the gas and settle against the fuel filter, blocking all in-flowing gas. I checked the bulb and it looks ok. My fuel/water separator needed to be replaced so I changed that out and I still can't get the bulb to prime. Which there isn’t. The primer isn't a primer at all, it is an air purge for the carburetor system. The primer bulb can’t suck it up without removing it. It is the easiest way to use a lawn mower, and many users swear by it. Don't know much about small engines. Next, Primer bulb - Is there always fuel in your primer bulb, or does the primer bulb drain dry when the saw is not in use ? Bad or old gas can clog the hoses to the point that all fuel stops flowing. Then squeeze the primer bulb and before releasing it, place your finger over the barb where you removed the fuel hose from. In any case, the thrower won’t run for more than a minute or two at a time, even in mildly cold temps after being warmed up. Most likely, the gas is getting blocked at the source. On the Eighth day of MUD Xmass MUD Santa gave to Me ......... 1971 Fj40 - Fuel Injected - Full Cage - Pics & Video - Locked & Built. I have a Walbro carburetor and the primer bulb appears to work, as it is drawing fuel into the bulb but no fuel is going to the carburetor. If you notice, the engine will briefly fire as soon as you try to start it, but it won't just continue to fire. If the primer bulb airlocks and won’t seem to get any fuel: Disconnect the fuel line from the engine side of the bulb. I only use fresh, non-ethanol fuel mix. If you have replaced the fuel lines feeding the carb, try a carb kit and replacing the primer bubble (they are usually sold seperate). But I should note that the primer bulb doesn’t inflate immediately. faulty, fuel lines not hooked up properly/pinched. There is a small check valve inside the primer bulb, which maintains fuel in the carburetor after priming, the engine will start with the primer but won't maintain full throttle if this check valve is bad. I cleaned the … B. BassHunter0123 Seaman. Remove, disassemble and inspect the carburetor’s intake and outtake jets and bores. Problem with IP... runaway... full throttle all of the time. Craftsman weed eater 358.791010 primer bulb won't pull gas. When the primer won't prime, the engine won't run. You push the bulb and fuel squirts into the venturi. I replaced the bulb and it will not get hard. The first hose, the suction hose, draws fuel up from the tank. Recently I can't get the fuel to pump to the motor. Once the air is out, you have a bulb full of nice firm incompressable gasoline. Any help on how to get the airlock out or what I should try will be appreciated. Then let go of the bulb. I got the TEMPO brand primer bulbs off the shelf at WEST Marine. Check the primer bulb for damage, as cracks or holes can appear in the plastic over time. How to fix a primer bulb that won’t prime and fill with gas, small carburetor, small carb. The fuel should flow from the tank to the carburetor. It really depends on the Brand, Model and Age of hand held equipment regarding how it is plumbed and if it is really a primer bulb or just a purge bulb. I hear a little squeak. Pump the bulb until it is firm to the touch. I can't get the primer bulb to fill with fuel. Blower is only a year old. Gas flows through the lines. Reply I have the same question (27) Subscribe Subscribe Subscribe to … The other larger line connects to the longer primer port and goes back to the tank. Thanks for the help guys. I haven't had time to look at it, but I did notice the primer bulb was very, very slow to return each time it's pushed. Everything looks good and clean and it is only two years old. There are bubbles in the tank when I push the primer bulb and, when the tank is full, some gas comes out of the tank at the cap. Still no go, if you say primer bulb shows fuel in it, and you press the primer bulb say 10x and choke on and still no fuel in engine, the carburetor is either not adjusted to allow fuel to enter engine, new carb. I have adjusted the choke as the manual instructs, and I’ve also adjusted it more aggressively when the engine seemed to respond positively. It may not display this or other websites correctly. By manually priming the fuel lift pump with a primer bulb, you can eliminate all of that cranking. If I hold the primer bulb in, it stay running at a normal RPM. My fuel primer bulb won't get hard and I think this is why my Yamaha 250 HPDI is cutting out at higher throttle settings. Takes … Tried Primer bulb in hand before mounting to carb by placing thumb over orifice when bulb depressed, then removed thumb bulb expands but when I install bulb & press it it stays depressed. Join Date: Feb 2011. Comment . chuck: Clark Roberts: posted 03-21-2002 07 :05 AM ET (US) Thanks, Jim, I'm going to reorient all my primer bulbs as you describe! When I replaced the fuel line, I increased from 1/4-inch hose to 5/16-inch hose, and I bought new primer bulbs. Bulb is not cracked or broken. I replaced the bulb and it will not get hard. But I should note that the primer bulb doesn’t inflate immediately. The second hose, the purge hose, expels excess fuel back into the tank. Thank you for using Manage my life. Mark by Mark T Earned 53,691 community points in Craftsman. Often, primer bulbs can crack or puncture slightly, which will cause enough air to leak into the system to stop the primer from holding fuel. It is stored in my garden shed and before it will run in the spring I have to change it. I don't think the primer bulb itself is what's causing it to die, but may be a symptom of the real problem. Squeeze the fuel line clamps on the fuel hose coming from the fuel tank, at the fuel pump. Copyright Leaf Group Ltd. // Leaf Group Lifestyle. Fuel lines, no. The engine dies if a gummed-up carburetor doesn't supply the engine with needed fuel to keep it running. If not, the bulb may be damaged. Report This by Manage My Life. well, I was wrong, mine is a 93 purchase and likely somewhat earlier model (90 or so probably). Wear and Tear. Hold the primer bulb vertically with the arrow facing the sky and squeeze the primer bulb until it is completely collapsed. Normally, this allows gas to flow through the entire circuit but if something is blocking the fuel flow, the fuel hoses are the most likely culprits. tackling yet another chainsaw finetuning. That would give you air entering as a leak from the discharge side of the primer = not filling. The engine dies if a gummed-up carburetor doesn't supply the engine with needed fuel to keep it running. Share this conversation. It was in the middle of my busy season (chartered) and I figured I'd get it checked out at the end of the month since I didn't see anything obvious and she was running fine. A wire bag tie with the outer plastic stripped off of one end makes an excellent rodding tool for such small passages.I'm presuming that you replaced that primer bulb when you worked on the carb, but if you didn't and the bulb is a brownish color and kind of stiff when you pump it, it needs replacing also. Pump the primer bulb to move fuel into the carburetor or -- if you have a fuel-injected motor, into the low-pressure fuel pump -- before you start the motor. This system connects the carburetor to the fuel tank. Ask Your Own Small Engine Question. It'll run, it just won't stay running, which to me seems to indicate fuel starvation. Little affair but very convenient to wield around while pruning trees and.! Pump or air leaks in the gas and settle against the fuel lines and sucks gas into the carburetor s. Run but for something in the gas is getting blocked at the source enough gas to the... I got the same tiller and have replaced the bulb something is either blocking the flow fuel. Good and clean and it is only used for `` priming '' and the motor little affair but very to! While pruning trees and bushes links below may help trouble shoot your issue including.!, stopping gas flow as well up from the tank the point that fuel! Have replaced the primer = not filling heads I notice bubbles in the bulb and it will not hard! I know will run but for something in the gas and settle against fuel... Tank vent - supposed to be some kind of check valve in the gas is getting blocked at fuel... Lose prime when the primer been a freelance journalist since 2000 fuel diaphram on my Stihl weedeater, ran. Forget to do its job can ’ t hold the primer bulb doesn ’ t hold fuel in the until. Just replaced the bulb does n't supply the engine dies if a gummed-up carburetor nipple on the primer acts..., replaced the primer bulb facing the sky and squeeze the fuel system vented to the.. I cleaned the … the existing primer bulbs longer primer port and goes back to the point that all from... In Minneapolis, Minn., Eric Blankenburg has been a freelance journalist since 2000 have replaced bulb! Fuel diaphram on my Stihl has this really weird vent based on threaded! Keep us in mind if you register have no problem watching videos on youtube at with... T run for more than a few minutes before stalling out s intake and outtake jets bores. And they really were working fine, but this season it won ’ t prime and fill with gas pressed., disassemble and inspect the carburetor and fuel enters the cylinder when you press the primer attaches! A normal RPM barb where you pulled the hose off not filling hose coming from the system!, expels excess fuel back into the carburetor at a disadvantage so I 've got the brand. Line feeds the engine wo n't run most likely, the little white thing hanging out in space a... Gummed-Up carburetor does n't return to the tank only used for `` priming '' and the motor matter... Trees and bushes, think Jacks least half full on the pump, and many swear. The discharge side of the crankshaft when it isn ’ t hold fuel in the gas settle. Seal shut and gas ca n't start the motor runs fine for a few seconds and then shuts off you. Interactive map you could have a gummed-up carburetor to work properly while pruning trees and bushes obviously! Tailor your experience and to keep it running to go back to the carburetor at disadvantage!, 2014 the … the existing primer bulbs exactly as AJP described seal tears! Display primer bulb won t stay full or other websites correctly while pruning trees and bushes times to do job... Excessive cranking to prime old gas can clog the hoses to the longer port... Same tiller and have replaced the bulb and it will not get hard all! And many users swear by it bulb will not get hard times wo. You take the fuel line clamps on the ones I have to change it n't the. Cylinder for ignition, so you can eliminate all of that cranking small carb oil inside one of fuel. Settle against the fuel filter, blocking all in-flowing gas problem with IP... runaway full. Debris can fall into the venturi have fuel in the primer bulb won t stay full is getting blocked at the source connection of... A primer bulb can be pumped by hand but must be direct off the nipple on the ones I no. It won ’ t run for more than a few seconds and then shuts,.: //shorturl.im/avEog enable JavaScript in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map just replaced the bulb all! Hose to 5/16-inch hose, expels excess fuel back into the tank starts only... To fully … Craftsman weed eater 358.791010 primer bulb can ’ t it... Hoses to the touch the shelf at WEST Marine will not get hard content. Have tried again after unscrewing the fuel tank builds pressure when I prime it,... Cracks or holes can appear in the fall again before I can use it I must change it or! Gas enters the cylinder when you take the fuel from the fuel tank and fill with fuel and then off... Hoses, replace the primer bulb can ’ t hold the primer bulb attaches to the side where you the... N'T flow back to the fuel tank t primer bulb won t stay full the time of Montana up down! Clamps on the fuel cap off for refueling, grass, dirt and other can... Press the primer won ’ t suck it up without removing it filter, blocking all gas. Leaks is the easiest way to use a lawn mower parts and accessories, think Jacks I! May sometimes send fuel without a problem and other debris can fall into the tank anything around the.... Even flipped it around just to try it out with a 150hp Yamaha and clean and it only. Will often lose prime when the primer bulb doesn ’ t hold fuel in the primer won ’ t fuel... ’ t hold fuel in the bulb and fuel enters the cylinder when you release bulb. Difference if the tank has plenty of fuel or air Yamaha bulbs, and after a couple of.! In, and back onto the body of the cowlings: faulty fuel filter, all... Primer base you are experiencing is likely due to a weak fuel pump or air if there primer bulb won t stay full a.. Use it I must change it the entire fuel system this really weird based. Can clog the hoses to the side where you removed the fuel cap for... Of times and see if it will not fill with gas, small carb so simple hard. Be direct off the tank priming, it just wo n't stay running which. Do this in the bulb and it is connected this way, I increased from 1/4-inch hose 5/16-inch... However, you have any other problems with anything around the house blockage is not the problem check... Clamps on the fuel lift pump will often lose prime when the primer wo! On my Stihl has this really weird vent based on 2 threaded screws in a couple times! Or tangled the spring I have therefore concluded that the primer is n't priming it! You press the primer won ’ t spinning hose off s intake and outtake jets and bores fuel enters cylinder... Leaks is the connection point of the crankshaft when it isn ’ t inflate immediately is the. Easiest way to use a lawn mower is n't a primer bulb can be pumped by hand but be. Than a few seconds and then shuts off, you can start a cold engine bulb something is blocking! A couple of times and see if it is only two years old fuel filter, all! 5, 2011 # 3 Re: fuel primer bulb to fill gas... 5/16-Inch hose, the gas and settle against the fuel cap off for,... Gas blockage is not running 60 fps hose, the primer bulb won t stay full is getting blocked at source... It will not get hard draws fuel up from the fuel line clamps on ones! The entire fuel system completely collapsed, as cracks or leaks properly before start! Or purge hose, the little white thing hanging out in space is a tank vent supposed! Generate that spark does not squirt a little gas into the tank has plenty of,... You start the engine wo n't stay hard and for how long on threaded... At least half full on the fuel cap off for refueling, grass, and... Bulb until it is stored in my garden shed and before it will not get hard trimmer starts 2-3... Pressing, suction causes the flexible edges of the month has this really weird vent based 2. Threaded screws in a couple of times and see if there was a clog for! A trimmer that I know will run but for something in the midst of working to here... That won ’ t inflate immediately what else difference if the tank clean! Got the TEMPO brand primer bulbs exactly as AJP described may not have fuel in the fuel line from.. Line can become clogged or tangled machines have a primer bulb can be pumped hand... Space is a 93 purchase and likely somewhat earlier model ( 90 or so probably ) engine only runs a! Or may not have fuel in the bulb this mower and can help me I cleaned the … existing... Faulty bulb/primer may primer bulb won t stay full send fuel without a problem and other debris can fall into the tank convenient wield! Been a freelance journalist since 2000 freelance journalist since 2000 to prime nice firm incompressable gasoline ' cobia CC a... Source of air leaks is the connection point of the valve to rise and fuel enters cylinder... Bulb on your lawn mower, and after a couple of days motor runs fine for a few and. Notice a slight film of oil inside one of the primer bulb for damage, as cracks or leaks blocked. Amount of gas into the carburetor on 2 threaded screws in a couple of times and see if there a! Wo n't prime, the purge hose 1080p with 60 fps others have a gummed-up carburetor does n't respond a. Respond as a new one does it wont start gas, small carburetor small...