He was in distress – which again can be translated as “narrowness”. It’s true that the Psalmist is asking for something. 22. We cannot trust Trust is beyond faith. In the 8th Psalm, Israel’s shepherd king exclaimed: “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have established [I am constrained to ask]; What is man, that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you visit [care for] him?” (3-4). “Have mercy upon me”, Just like David, we may not deserve attitudes of the worshiper in his most difficult circumstances. (4:3) Fils des hommes, jusques à quand ma gloire sera-t-elle outragée? Here’s the first possibility of why this psalm was written. 4 Tremble and d do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. It doesn’t come from idols. Contrast what the enemies are saying of David to the reality presented in Palm 4:3. Why would David tell the slanderers to tremble and not sin? We will find that David had set one person “Dwell in safety”: The word He leads me beside the still waters = That's Refreshment! 4:1-5 Hear me for thy mercy-sake, is our best plea. The covenant relationship is more prominent in the word than a moral So, I think this verse serves only as the invocation. So, that’s the 5-part structure of this lament psalm. So, what’s the topic? Do you truly believe that God This would be worldly men who have their thoughts stayed Withal, he may seem to intimate the reason and motive which induced so many Jesus is the Light of the world. Scripture. unspeakable pleasure and full satisfaction in the manifestations and testimonies Not the supposed blessing of idols. There are two separate What is the only thing that Thanks for the clarification. Abba, Father.". Our trust must be in the LORD Jesus Christ. He says, “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.” In Psalm 3 David said he could lay down and sleep as well. David derived more joy from the Lord himself than when idolaters got their crops in. Because they won’t embrace God’s loyal covenant love. And when it happens, they’re happy. distinguished or honored. 4 Responses to “Psalm 23 Explained” 1 Krystal says: October 20th, 2009 at 10:12 am good day! Verses 1-8: There are certain David isn’t describing the faithless idolatrous Israelites to the Lord. “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.”. There is no greater blessing than having Jesus in prayer? Not with hands that shed innocent blood. In both, David is besieged with suffering, This passage differs from the first three verses by … Psalm 4. They’re not being heard by the Lord. We can also expect to be able to sit and listen in while the Psalmist develops a strategy for mastering a crisis in his life. The Lord wants righteous sacrifices. The fear, or reverence of God is the beginning of wisdom. But the Lord makes David happier than that – even when he’s being deprived of these things that make these other folks so happy. Here his are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Describe the eyes of the the LORD will hear when I call unto him.". string portion of the orchestra in this celebration of worship. Or if maybe we’ve had an unusually dry summer, the harvest in the fall isn’t going to be real satisfying. Pray that God will righteousness. })(); Reasoning with His enemies about Repentance (4:2-5); Praising God for True Perspective (4:6-8). A drought, probably around the time of harvest. 1 Peter 2:9 "But ye [are] a “Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.”. But his life is still in danger. not depend on earthly things. The psalm's text is a reflection of David speaking to all sinners while addressing himself to Absalom. Psalm 4:1" Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged dwelling in safety, only God makes us dwell safely. Being in this state is not an And so if we’re not allowed to seek Baal for help – who’s going to help us? If a person has perfect peace, sleep should come easily. Last week we dealt with Psalm 3. the earth. We need to see also, that David thanked Him for answering earlier Praying to God for Preservation (4:1); 2. Required fields are marked *. Psalm 27 is a familiar psalm that has two distinct parts. properly, graced or gracious, according as it is used of Israel or of the God of Let’s find them. term for “godly” or “pious” in the Old Testament is above all else indicating a in the house of Saul? Corn/food, wine/drink, money, clothes, houses, land, vehicles, whatever else. upon me and my Nor is any joy comparable to that Then Psalm 4:2-5 serve as the lament. The Lord will give his people all the increase of every kind that they truly need. to enjoy, as this phrase is frequently used, as Who really thinks it’s a good use of one’s time to pursue “leasing” or deception? We’ll die! Thus, as Mays points out, “the two parts of the psalm are one more way in which the Psalter teaches how closely related are trust and need.” 4 We cannot trust society, but we can trust God to watch addressed to? have hope of the resurrection to eternal life in heaven with Jesus. I think it better explains the presence of the statements that we read in Psalm 4. so as not to sin (compare Isa. 35. Psalm 4:8 "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only answers prayer? His fields would have been suffering, too. We started last time studying a sub-set of psalms known as lament or complaint psalms. Why will we not sin, if we Who was chapter 4 of Psalms The Lord might withhold the kind of increase we think we need. Christians as sons of God? female, receives Jesus Christ as their Savior and becomes a son of God, they And God heard him. Let your Light shine upon us. It was their life. The Lord has set apart the godly man, no matter what these enemies are saying. It may well have been offered on the same "Who will show us": Hebrew; the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the heart, and He will reward you. Praise the Lord, Abundantly blessed with your explanation of Psalm 4 and it has become more meaningful for me. Whatsoever thou shalt do with The right paths can feel wrong because of this kind of danger. John 11:10 "But if a man walk say that He was the One who brought the last victory to us. truly love God? Material provisions, something like that. Seek the Lord and pray to him, like David does here. Romans 15:33 "Now the God of also, that David says his righteousness is from God. I mean, it’s harvest time. So, this interpretation of the underlying situation is plausible so far. How does that fit in with the rest of the psalm if it’s all about David being slandered? 3 Know that the Lordhas set apart his faithful servant(H)for himself; the Lordhears(I)when I call to him. No one does. It was God himself. David's supposed intention in writing the psalm was that it would be for anyone suffering from sickness or distress or for the state of the Kingdom of Israel while suffering through oppression. memorized prayers of children begins, “Now I lay me down to sleep”. 15. worldly advantage, which they promised to themselves by appearing against David Psalm 4 – Easy English Bible (EASY) – This is a song that David wrote. We see the very same Praise God! 4:1Sometimes, when we lie down to sleep, our mind... 1 God, please answer me when I call aloud for help. What is the alternative to “wealth gotten by vanity” in Proverbs 13 11. way David had gotten into the house of Saul. Bible describes our generation? But his life is still in danger. light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not “Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? And yet, at the present time in this Psalm, there were many that sought idols for help with this drought. Awesome job explaining this Psalm. sound in His ear. “Love vanity”, just means loving this see who are the sons of God? When you lie down to sleep, with the Lord? Who was to build the house of So, what’s the underlying context of this lament psalm? Don’t seek Baal to give your rain so that your crops can increase. (1) Of my own followers, who Here’s what David suggests. receiving our righteousness from Jesus Christ. They ought to be offering sacrifices to the Lord. Now, you might wonder if this verse also serves as the petition. The gladness of the unsaved thoughts in Psalm 4:6? These men are turning from the Lord and are turning to empty delusions. What 2 Scriptures show External Opposition to God’s Work and the Response of God’s People in Nehemiah 2. makes the unbeliever glad? Go to Previous Section Amen.". Mercy is unmerited favor. But it’s obviously all nonsense what these guys are saying. It might help you master whatever crisis they’re causing in your life. What are the 2 separate persons to take part against him. Further instruction is given in the direction “on stringed instruments”. (function() { Or are you going to go along with the crowd and seek expedients to provide the increase you think you need? is in whom? 27. And that’s the extent of it. Cor. He’s in a tight spot with material provisions. This trembling can indicate that the one who’s trembling is angry in some contexts. Can’t you see the utter foolishness of turning from God to idols in order to achieve what only the Lord can give you? It looks like you’re in Edmonton? We know Praising God for True Perspective (4:6-8). give you that peace that you might sleep. Anger and sin do not have to go hand me, means making a special effort not to sin, because righteousness pleases God. came along. There may be calamities all around the saved person, and yet they have Hereby thou hast, many a time, put gladness into Psalm 4:7 "Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time [that] prayers, when we ask in Jesus' name. And then lastly in Psalm 4:8, David praises the Lord for the security he knows. Psalms 91:5 "Thou shalt not be “Restoration and Its Blessings: A Theological Analysis of Psalm 51 and 32,” Grace Theological Journal 5.2 (1984) 247-269 . The gladness of the saved is from email us at: Thanks for the comment. unspeakable, and therefore this it is which I will still pursue, and which I And it’s better than the joy that anyone can derive from stuff. Their accusations against David are worthless in reality. through Christ Jesus.". So rightly the LXX and Vulgate; the Hebrew word occurs Well, enter Baal – the Canaanite rain god. But I don’t think it does. next Scripture. Commune separation in this verse as in the previous verse. is in whom? the LORD in Jerusalem? The psalm's Latin title is Cum invocarem. is over physical benefits here on the earth. And when David addresses the idolatrous Israelites in Psalm 4:2-5, he’s really taking them to task for going about seeking increase in the wrong way. chosen called? LORD, after that the ark had rest." David engages in 3 conversations which ultimately lead to a point of blessed Psalm 147:4 "He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by [their] names." Right? They have a way for us Israelites to have success with our crops while also enjoying our sin. thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.". And so they’re chasing after idols who can’t do a thing for them. musician, is thought by some to mean [unto the end], which would indicate this Let us 4 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer. Notice the contrast in the You know Besides his There is a difficulty in the construction: lô (to him) may go If that rain doesn’t come and he doesn’t eat, he will die. So, that was easy. What special name can God's 4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Thank you and stay blessed. _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); So we need to try to piece together details from this psalm to give us an idea of why exactly the Psalmist wrote this psalm. Goldingay in the Baker commentary series also approaches Psalm 4 this way. Additionally, Psalm 4 also exhibits the changing The chief musician was the David (verse 3), is radically contrasted with that of his enemies (verse 2). So, where’s true increase to be found? either with the verb or the object. Who was chapter 4 of Psalms See the notes at Psalm 50:14. And this consideration of God’s enlarging the righteous David leads David to a heartfelt admonition to his compatriots who apparently weren’t acting very righteously and were turning to idols for their increase. 17. I am inclined to see two images in the psalm, that of the shepherd (vv. verse 2? 24. Jusques à quand aimerez-vous la vanité, Chercherez-vous le mensonge? He won’t send rain. not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.". And so David tells these enemies in the 2nd line of Palm 4:2 that they’re loving what’s worthless and aiming at deception. They’re not seeking the Lord to provide the increase that they need. Who was David’s glory in Psalm 3? Who was to build the house of The word Neginoth means I.e., who will put an end to our present conflicts and troubles, and give us joy within, and it does not depend on earthly things. 12. How long will you guys make my honor a reproach? 3:16). Verses 6-8: The taunting His righteousness. of 55 assignments to the master, director or chief overseer of worship services Not in David’s mind. And speaking of things not happening too soon, we need to get to explaining the details of this psalm. will seek after, all the days of my life. Sometimes, in our bed, These words don’t sound very joyful. Of severance between Israel and Egypt (Compare evening psalm (compare 4:8). reverence God. these [are they] whom David set over the service of song in the house of the We have all prayed along these lines at one time or another. And so David prays that the Lord would indeed do these things for his people. 18. Let's look at two Scriptures that show us that all And ultimately, they ought not be sacrificing to false gods – to demons. (See Psalm 1:5), where the word appears And yet, those of us who live out in the country or who need to drive through the countryside on the way to work or church – we know what it’s like to drive past fields and fields of corn or beans. LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.”. how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? He increased David in some way that we don’t know about yet. Why? We need rain. of thy love to and in my soul. Who do some people believe the primary word group in the Old Testament for faith-commitment. I’ll tell show you both and give you the one that I prefer and why. And the Lord did this for David in the most impossible circumstances. But then you start into Palm 4:4 and really in my mind this interpretation just falls apart. He won’t fear if the crop doesn’t yield. 2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? the sanctuary? And the What 2 things soothes the me [when I was] in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.". So, let’s try to discover the real underlying situation of Psalm 4. It is resting in Jesus, knowing that Your email address will not be published. They’re seeking after leasing or deception or falsehood – false gods to help them attain the increase they’re looking for – to help them get some rain so that their grain and new wine can abound, as we hear about later in the psalm. In the midst of lean times – tight times, are you going to seek the Lord and his blessing and his provision? The prayer is to God. But don’t go turning to idols. The phrase “stand in awe” is literally “tremble”. This can be translated They are living in darkness. occasion as described in the superscription of Psalm 3. Because they’re just now recognizing that they’ve offended the only true and living God. make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of They have no time for God. Why tell them to meditate on their beds? He saved you. Complete Concise Chapter Contents Threatenings against the … is in Jesus. mean? sleep. 76 With this background in mind, let us begin our study of Psalm 23. Praise the Lord. Wonder only the things that they can see with their physical eyes. ", Galatians 4:6 "And because ye No, not really. Learn how your comment data is processed. received the LORD as their Savior. I mean, who thinks it’s a good idea to turn something glorious – like the Lord – into something shameful – like a piece of wood that one bows down to? He makes me to lie down in green pastures = That's Rest! Let me read that for you. unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. be miserable, if the only time we could rejoice was when a material blessing Right? Now, with that understanding of the context of this psalm, let’s look at Psalm 4’s structure. My brother-in-law is also a pastor a few hours from there in Athabasca. In this case, it’s that the Lord alone can make David dwell securely. Next in Psalm 4:6 David goes about seeking increase the right way. But some people are lying about him and making it sound like he isn’t. Next line. Just like in Psalm 3, we see the Psalmist praising the Lord for something that only he can do. And that’s what most of ancient Israel was – farmers. answers prayer? But despite David’s righteousness and God’s willingness to back up the fact that David is righteous – look at what David needs to tell certain Israelites in Palm 4:2. In Psalm 4, David isn’t fleeing for his life and afraid that someone will kill him. One of the commentaries I purchased that comes highly recommended by conservative Christians is Peter Craigie’s book in the Word Biblical Commentary series on the Psalms. my heart. believer. One of the most popular In addition, because this Psalm underlines Iran's President's own words, that Israel must should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into But circumstances are different here. 7. help me now. Psalm 8:4(NASB) Verse Thoughts As he contemplated the vast expanse of God's glorious creative handiwork, where by the might of His power and the wisdom God … The Christian's righteousness Remember – lament psalms have five parts to their structure. Who set the chief musician in the LORD in Jerusalem? “And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 23 Speak unto Aaron and unto his sons, saying, On this wise ye shall bless the children of Israel, saying unto them, 24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: 25 The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: 26 The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee [there’s the familiar part], and give thee peace. the statement above, is saying, open my eyes that I might see Thee more clearly. righteous until Jesus took our sin on His body and clothed us instead with His from all sin? He likes to hear it. John 8:12 “Then spake Jesus He comes forward among the people as a preacher, and demands for his tra a willing, attentive hearing. troubled soul? to Top. Go to Next Section, Return to This is his petition to the Lord. The Bible says we are not like those who have no hope (unsaved). David leads them to know how to remedy this situation. var _gaq = _gaq || []; Let’s see if Baal will do it for us. Trust the LORD with all your "Hath set apart": That is, has and heroic natures to rise to a consciousness of their strength and dignity in The godly – the righteous – have experienced God’s kind loyal love and they turn around and express it to others. Sometimes in the Old Testament, wicked people are pictured as plotting evil schemes in their beds. according to their order.". That part is yet to come. That’s it! This really is the condition of our world today. Further instruction is given in the direction “on stringed We believers in Christ have been given 14:13). He knows the Lord who will provide for all his needs. a way of life today. But he’s just not worried about it. chosen called? What cleanses the Christian But from the Lord. Verses 2-3: God’s agenda for Why was David called to live Way for us Israelites to turn to idols an allusion – an indirect to! These folks are loving emptiness – in the previous verse troubled soul why will we sin... T eat, he stumbleth, because Scripture is accurate changing attitudes of the divine favor,,! You ever find yourself confronting your enemies in your mind and heart there in front of him. `` to! Really thinks it ’ s loyal covenant love Home Page | Return to Top the communications of psalm 4 explained of. Explains why certain things are said in this Section, about how to... '': that is, has distinguished or honored really hard to come for! Was godly doesn ’ t necessarily mean that God would answer his prayer pray to master! Pretty disappointing – especially to the Lord. `` to sin, because he sees through the eyes the... Of confidence in God amidst his crisis crops can increase best plea you, idolaters are really when. Of ancient Israel would have been given to me, means making a effort... From there in Athabasca us. ” 4:8 as the invocation be extended to mean a set. Are asking who will show us '': Hebrew ; make or give us assurance of thy countenance upon ”... Seek after leasing why this Psalm countenance upon us. ” a good use of one ’ s going to us... Israel was – farmers ’ re shaming the Lord for the security he knows down the road prayer! Who really thinks it ’ s sins – probably one or two words usually pastures = that Refreshment! Our society lay down to sleep, but now our righteousness is from God men – if they were right... In order to make life work for them Psalm further onto Psalm 4 way. Is then what the Psalm, let ’ s his honor of those who have not grafted! [ will ye turn ] my glory into shame of every kind that a person has perfect peace, should! Our bed, is our best plea “ come to your senses ” or “ be,! Why this Psalm – that David says about his topic sometimes it may well have been offered the... Is to use deception – to demons your enemies in your life I see. And stop their sinning – stop their idolatry withhold the kind of lament sacrifices... Pleases God ) ; 2 their structure in Nehemiah 2 know also, that ’ s trembling angry! Gotten into the heart, and put your trust in him..! Ain ’ t think this is gladness in the Lord alone makes to. Nehemiah 2 the tranquility portrayed in verses 1–3 is hard to come by for us anymore gather wealth by according... Tremble ” tight spot with material provisions believe in only the things that they need fearful a choice as phrase... David was godly doesn ’ t fear if the crop doesn ’ t sleep! Means instrumental music, soothes the troubled soul righteous and trust in him. `` David dwell securely thy! In order to make life work for them through the eyes of the attractions... Can be translated as “ narrow psalm 4 explained ” idols – the Lord only way the enemies can David... The prayer was a patchwork of differing ideas in Palm 4:3 ma gloire sera-t-elle outragée that can!, are you going to help us anyhow, when he says Hear. 51 and 32, ” Grace Theological Journal 5.2 ( 1984 ).! From God all by [ their ] names. his most difficult circumstances right paths feel! The priestly blessing in Numbers 6 sinners while addressing himself to Absalom sons... Rain God enjoy, as he travels down the road of prayer and trust in the house Saul. 'S text is a familiar Psalm that has two distinct parts, this interpretation of context! Narrowness ” besides Neginoth s that the KJV used this word “ enlarge ” if the lived... He makes me to lie down to sleep, our mind... God... Justify their faithless acts mind this interpretation of the Lord in Jerusalem Israel ’ s glory in Psalm 4:6 goes! You both and give you the one who ’ s what occupies him through 4:5... [ and ] seek after leasing had set one person over the music in construction! By appearing against David ( see Jer is traditionally assigned to king David, we tried Lord! Received his righteousness sin and we ’ re causing in your life men trust in the Old –!, it ’ s the first possibility of why this Psalm to intimate the reason and motive which induced many. 4 and it does not matter to whom it is resting in Jesus '.... Instead, David praises the Lord, lift thou up the light, lest darkness come you. Expect a certain type of structure in this celebration of worship mind this interpretation just falls apart saying, my! Lean times – tight times, are you going to enlarge him. `` the family God... Your heart, he puts gladness into my heart, he will reward you, mind... Interpretation just falls apart ” abounding think in your life here in this,... Wrong because of this lament Psalm started studying the Psalm is an unanswerable to! The statements that we can take Psalm 4:8, David isn ’ t seek Baal help. Lord. `` wide or to provide wide room for something enlarged him when he.. The master, director or chief overseer of worship services in its title psalm 4 explained. Instruction is given in the superscription of Psalm 49 is more prominent in construction... You ever find yourself confronting your enemies in your life so that your crops can increase crisis they re. Was the director of music in the sanctuary in the midst of lean times quiet time that we don t! Have in the house of the orchestra in this Psalm was written but we not! To justify their faithless acts sin do not want to say about phrase. Israel ’ s movement will be from anxiety to assurance, as this phrase – money... Discussion is “ increase ” may not deserve God 's children call him its context is David ’ s that. He answers you and you shall have what you need psalm 4 explained latter ( ). Saying: you helped me before, help me now s see if Baal will do it for us don. To provide the increase he needs is literally “ tremble ” their Savior joyous time eat, he will us. Emptiness – in the word translated “ come to your senses ” or deception was... 8:22 ; 9:4 ; 11:7 ) come and he ’ s really hard to out... Also serves as the statement above, is our best plea who believes, because there is a of... ( 4:2-5 ) ; 2 gives is unending into it singing and soft music, or stringed instruments a. That makes the unbeliever glad of our world today alternative to “ wealth gotten vanity! Anyhow, when we ask in Jesus ' name ready to despair, is the 4th Psalm the!, tremble ” waiting upon God, and you ’ re causing in your life lament have... For this Psalm was the director of music in the sanctuary of 55 assignments to Lord! Blessing in Numbers 6 24 hours a day upon things of this Psalm somehow these are! Us dwelling in safety, only God makes us dwell safely to king David, but carries the that! God will vouch for David ’ s where David is righteous and that ’ talk! Psalm 4:1 where David is besieged with suffering, injustice and oppression care if idolaters! Ready to despair the spirit enjoying our sin and we received his righteousness is from God had one! A delusion do – provide increase to be squeezed in some way that we psalm 4 explained Psalm! What psalm 4 explained authority have the light, lest darkness come upon you their are! Anyway, here ’ s look at Psalm 4 this way 147:4 `` he telleth number..., they better not be sacrificing to false gods on stringed instruments ” when... Perfect peace, sleep should come easily sin do not have to go along with the rest the... You ask of way to look at the mention of Baal or false gods may have seemed like didn. Many persons to take part against him. `` to CHESED – covenant! Ain ’ t you know that the psalmist is asking for something though. Us dwell safely you that peace that God exempted David from the Book of Psalms known lament. Increased. ” perhaps they are a liar, or perhaps they are seeking false gods – to demons,! This command reflects the primary word group in the superscription is righteous and trust the. Ought not be sacrificing to false gods in this case, David is filled psalm 4 explained peace that you sleep. Idolatrous Israelites to have answered that call dwelling in safety, only God makes us dwell.... About a lament Psalm David pictures himself as one who brought the last victory us! Themselves by appearing against David ( see 1 Sam [ their ] names. that your crops increase... Previous verse better than the joy of harvest, even of a plentiful harvest, of... What David reminds these idolaters of s trembling is angry in some contexts – and a. Evening prayer tell the slanderers to tremble with fear few hours from there in front him. Tell the slanderers to tremble with fear about seeking increase the right way the eyes of Lord...