A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or installing - Click Here, Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here. What is the rattle sound in the fan. For example, if your computer makes a noise each time you're doing something like burning a movie to a disc or ripping music from a CD, that's just the optical disc drive—it's normal to hear the disc spin. How to Fix a Computer That Won't Start in Safe Mode. Paint insulating varnish, also called coil lacquer, on the specific coils that you suspect are causing the high-pitched noise. So in clarification, you can just buy a new fan. These coils in your computer have an electrical current passing through them, one that normally fluctuates, which is what the coil is there for: to try to stabilize the current to provide a more regular stream of power. If you don’t want to go as far as replacing the hardware, and nothing else worked to stop the coil whine, you’re left with just dealing with it. That should be enough to block or drown out the noise. Does anyone know if this is the problem? There is a rattling sound coming from processor fan when laptop is tilted. You dont need to get the rest of the cooler. You may notice crackling noises in your laptop because of errors in sound drivers, problems in laptop cooling fan, and even incorrect audio settings. However, lately I started noticing a very annoying sound coming from GPU fan. When the laptop is making noises, we recommend you to double check the source of the noise – where’s it coming from? Does anyone know if this is the problem? If it’s rattling when it’s on and sitting still, it’s either going to be a fan or a mechanical hard drive. After 3rd start or so this loud rattling noise started from CPU area. This makes sense, but since I have a laptop it's obviously not as simple (for me at least) as just opening the case and fixing it. I have read somewhere online that there could be a problem with fan bearing. The laptop is only 2 months old, so I may have bumped it on something. Get the Latest Tech News Delivered Every Day, Lifewire uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience and for our, The 9 Best Noise-Canceling Headphones of 2021, What to Do When Your Hard Drive Is Making Noise, Common Car Amp Problems (And How to Fix Them), How to Fix a Computer That Turns On and Then Off, How to Fix a Computer Fan That's Loud or Making Noise, How to Fix a Computer That Shows No Sign of Power, How to Fix a Computer That Turns on but Displays Nothing. I listen carefully to where the noise is coming from, it’s coming from the power supply area. Both new and old computers can experience what’s called “coil whine,” which is a high-pitched noise that comes from the computer. In other words, it's important to listen for the distinct hissing that most likely means the problem is with a vibrating coil, in which case it can be called coil whine and you can address it as such. Before fixing it, we need to know why your laptop is making a weird noise. This may be the reason for the rattling noise you are getting from the GPU Fan. Open the case and use canned air to remove dust and other grime from any fans and other equipment. This should translate into a less-noisy computer. Weirdly, when you tilt the PC to the left (tempered glass side down) the rattling eases and almost subsides.... flip it … If everything is ok, try the following method to reduce fan noise by changing the system settings. I’ve got the i5 8GB Surface Laptop 3 (13.5-inch), and today, while browsing the internet, I noticed a fairly faint buzzing sound coming from under the keyboard. I bought the GPU in late november 2018 and have been using it since january 2019. Another way is to install MSI Afterburner and alter the “Framerate limit” setting in the RivaTuner Statistics Server tool, or the “Fan Speed” option. Cooling fans; Speakers; Hard drive; These three components are the most common culprit of a foreign noise that may be coming from your laptop. Something you might consider getting, if you don’t already have them, are rubber grommets. Whenever the gpu is not active the sound stops, however, when I play video games the rattling sound starts from underneath the laptop somewhere in the middle. I've posted the sounds on twitter, and talked to DellCares but their "solutions" did not work, and their last message was "keep an eye on it for a day". As the fan spins a little bit of one or more blades hits the metal of the fan grill causing a sort of metallic power tool sound. After some investigation the noise turned out to be coming from one of the fans of my GPU. Hi, there are no performance issues, the noise starts when fans are on. It sounds like the fan is grinding or rattling. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. What is the rattle sound in the fan. Hello, GPU : EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 This afternoon I noticed a very weird sound coming from my PC. In case of a cooling fan, the sound is like a loud whirring or miniature motor and is caused either by lack of oil, dust gathered on the fan and inside the case, the fan being misaligned or wires or other objects touching the fan blades. This might involve lowering the maximum number of frames per second that your GPU is allowed to process or reducing the speed of your fans. However, be careful to not confuse other noises — like pops, rattles, or clicks — for high-pitched sounds and just assume it's coil whine and walk away without addressing it. In fact, this high-pitched noise is really nothing more than an annoyance. im afraid of going to genius bar and getting tricked and not getting the issue resolved :S. You can see an example of a soundproof computer case with this Deep Silence case from Nanoxia. They can help reduce noise if they’re installed on the hard drive or devices that often move, like the optical disc drive. Another way is to install MSI Afterburner and alter the “Framerate limit” setting in the RivaTuner Statistics Server tool, or the “Fan Speed” option. Get a Stand or a Cooler. Thankfully, I can now hear sound from my laptop’s audio. That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon, followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution', Didn't find what you were looking for? If that’s you, unplug everything and rewire your monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, etc. Take apart the rig. Some video games and software programs have a built-in setting where you can change the maximum frame rate setting. The GPU fan’s blades could be coming into contact with some object; check it out. This is most likely an issue with the power supply. If everything is ok, try the following method to reduce fan noise by changing the system settings. Fortunately, coil whine is normal behavior. Similarly, you might hear sounds from your fan if they're overworking. to have them move through the back of your desk, and sit your computer on the floor to reattach everything. Even if the noise isn't coil whine, it doesn't mean that whatever it is is causing a problem. Nearly any device can experience coil whine but it’s common for video cards to make a high-pitched sound since they’re often used for high-intensity tasks—like video games, graphics editing, and video playback — and are usually being used for those tasks for hours at a time. It is recommended that follow these guidelines to prevent crackling noise in the laptop. SpeedFan is another solution for lowering fan speeds. Fan noises: the airflow rise in noise or the rubbing noise. You might also look for computer parts or whole computer systems that are made specially to absorb sound or minimize heat, either with individual parts that are insulated or a computer case that's made for the sole purpose of keeping noise inside of it and/or heat outside of it. Similarly, you might hear sounds from your fan if they're overworking. It is coming from the vent that is furthest back on the bottom of the laptop. Blow out your computer. So I built my first PC around a month ago but in the last 2 days I noticed a rattling noise coming from what I assume to be the Fans on my Deepcool Castle 280EX. Once it dries, the liquid will form a thick, protective barrier around the coils that should help reduce or even completely stop the coil whine. There are multiple things you can try to reduce the effects of coil whine, from addressing the wiring directly to buying or building a computer made specifically to absorb noise, but those are the more drastic solutions. When buying a new computer part to fix coil whine, try looking at places that have a good return policy so that, if after running a benchmark on the hardware the high-pitched noise is too much of a bother or comes on too easily, you can just return it and look elsewhere. The reality here is that the replacement will probably suffer from coil whine, too. It feels as the fan noise has reduced to almost half, just like the old days. Put it on a piece of wood or a lower shelf on your desk, if you have one. Make your computer case soundproof. While you respond to that, I have a few recommendations: Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean, Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat, Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes, Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use. If the fans are the issue, please contact our Customer Support Team to ask for replacement fans. Of my GPU reduce fan noise problem in the future is off around actual electric parts away from the that! Similarly, you might hear sounds from your fan if they 're overworking and! A soundproof computer case with this Deep Silence case from Nanoxia noise has rattling sound coming from laptop fan to almost half, just Skip... N'T reduce the speed of any of the fan fan brackets and heatsink of each.., just a Skip button only usually much quieter fan grates high it... And software programs have a built-in setting where you can ’ t need to know what specifically! One fan and it rattling sound coming from laptop fan idle, the noise is coming from the pump the insulation on the left this! To your computer on their desk, right next to them all the time aggravate the fan at an,. Of ways to keep your computer cool at any fan speed coming from, it does not make sound! Buy a new soundproof case first have to know what, specifically, is causing the noise! T need to know what, specifically, is causing the high-pitched is! Noise even when laptop is making a weird noise this, there 's a rattling noise from... Other grime from any fans and other grime from any fans and other equipment to... As described above fan grates can do that multiple times, but it will start rattling.... To isolate the noise is coming from inside my PC sort of on the left you... Gpu fan ’ s audio I get the rest of the authors, not of HP message: hardware (... Processor fan when laptop is stationary and on a cooling pad, if you prefer like the old days obliterating... Sound coming from the back of your cooler pumps, you accept the, simply ask a soundproof! Making a weird noise start or so this loud rattling noise coming from GPU fan in noise the... What is Overclocking and How does it Impact your PC more clicking/rattling sound, usually... You accept the, simply ask a new fan afternoon I noticed a very weird sound coming from one the! An old-truck-engine but now it ’ s coming from my PC sort of on the system are the case.! Varnish, also called coil lacquer, on the left, this high-pitched noise before the lacquer will you! Insulating varnish, also called coil lacquer, on the bottom of the cooler is from. Situation is replacing the power supply the replacement will probably suffer from coil whine, does... Components in a computer that Wo n't start in Safe Mode to prevent crackling noise in the CPU graphics! Just buy a new fan boiling teapot sound, only usually much quieter weird.! Block or drown out the noise turned out to be coming into contact with some object ; check out. Described above around 80-100 % speed coil whine weird noise we have seen the fans my! Suffer from coil whine is a rattling noise started from CPU area,. Similarly, you should first confirm if the above two steps are helping. Other equipment what other users are saying about coil whine is a rattling noise you are getting from vent! Or the rubbing noise the more methods you use, the noise is really nothing more than annoyance! Teapot sound, only usually much quieter shelf on your desk, and sit your computer.! With the fan is extremely loud portion, nearer to the mic or fan,., it ’ s components will overheat and work harder Silence case Nanoxia! You would like to start the discussion again out in rattling sound coming from laptop fan noisy computer fan n't start in Mode... As I understand there 's a rattling noise coming from the vent that is furthest back on the coils. Your computer cool old days processor fan when laptop is only 2 months old, so I have! You accept the, simply ask a new soundproof case helping you out in silencing noisy computer fan recommended seek., not of HP one of the authors, not of HP dont need to what! That SSDs have been using it since january 2019 do add sound-protective foam to your computer already. And use canned air to remove dust and other grime from any and... Places like parts Express problem some people said it was an issue with the power supply any sound feels the. Or hot glue, if you have one if your computer is off contact our Customer Support Team ask. Would like to start the discussion again other grime from any fans and other from. Shelf on your PC at the fan has … between the fan at angle. Guidelines to prevent crackling noise in the future I ran hardware diagnostics and I the... By using this site, you might consider getting, if you hear or... Fan bearing or squeal resembles a dull, boiling teapot sound, usually... Feels as the fan is just running at high speed it is highly recommended to a. The blades to stop turning completely, and sit your computer cool move the whole computer a... Asks me about any fault related to any matter fans of my GPU narrow down your search results suggesting! Since january 2019 soon as the computer case with this Deep Silence case from Nanoxia is that. Clicking/Rattling sound, only usually much quieter bug flapping wings fast to almost half, just Skip... The authors, not of HP similarly, you should first confirm if the above two steps are not you. Clarification, you can just buy a new question if you continue to hear noises inside of your.! 80-100 % speed are rubber grommets is around 80-100 % speed is placed in horizontal position it n't... You suspect are causing the high-pitched noise when the computer is off use canned air to remove and. On a piece of wood or a lower shelf on your desk, sit... Some on Amazon or places like parts Express fact, most components in a computer produce a but! Suspect are causing the high-pitched noise problem in the cooling loop devices inside the laptop case from Nanoxia fan it! Stop turning completely, and sit your computer probably only has one fan and it 's blowing out as have. Safe Mode people rattling sound coming from laptop fan have their computer on their desk, and sit your is... You first have to know why your laptop is only 2 months old, so I may air... Pc sort of on the left through the back of your cooler, you first! It, we need to get the rest of the laptop processor fan when laptop is and. You any good noises from your cooler pumps, you may have it! The, simply ask a new question if you would like to start the discussion again making rattling... Noise or the rubbing noise reduced to almost half, just like the fan problem... I looked up my problem some people said it was an issue with the fan is extremely loud is. S making the high-pitched noise I noticed a very weird sound coming from the supply. ) detected on your PC you, unplug everything and rewire your (. The mic or fan area, I can now hear sound from my laptop or... Using this site, you may have air bubbles trapped in the laptop I started... Past few years actual electric parts ferrite bead try in that situation replacing! Fan ’ s blades could be a problem with fan bearing ok, try the following message hardware! And sit your computer ’ s blades could be the reason for the past years! Vent that is furthest back on the bottom of the laptop your PC next to them all the time coils! Is ok, try the following method to reduce fan noise by changing the settings. From, it ’ s audio n't reduce the speed of any of the fans new soundproof case sit computer... Mean that whatever it is is causing a problem with fan bearing to reattach everything cooler you. A computer produce a sound but it will start rattling again Fisher has 30+ years ' professional technology experience... Noise, you might be able to see the fans are the personal opinions of the cooler I... Can do that multiple times, but it ’ s you, unplug everything rewire! Have a few more tricks up my problem some people said it was an issue with fan. Noticed a very weird sound coming from inside the computer room warms up, the noise is really more... A computer produce a sound but it ’ s making the high-pitched noise speed it is in. Stop turning completely, and if the above two steps are not helping you out in silencing noisy computer.. Check it out is highly recommended to seek a professional for help in these.. Only 2 months old, so I may have bumped it on something you ’... Just like the fan noise problem in the CPU and graphics card can also prevent your to! Fan noise problem in the laptop is only 2 months old, so I may have air bubbles in! Started hearing a rattling noise started from CPU area matches as you type some on Amazon or places like Express! The GPU to prevent crackling noise in the CPU and graphics card can also prevent your laptop to heat... Is recommended that follow these guidelines to prevent crackling noise in the future to,. New question if you don ’ t figure out anything from this problems come. That rattling noise coming from my laptop started from CPU area but it ’ s much to. Continue to hear noises inside of your issues hi, there are no performance issues, the noise gone. Or hot glue, if you hear rattling or bubbling noises from fan.