When I put the bulbs back in A (after having improved the grounding), it would not work at all & B was still working. Is the problem with the ballast giving off static electricity or a slow/minimal "short"? In fact, no one wants to take on the job (not handyman, not drywall, not general so far). ), and then when I turn the light on again, that current is "released" & trips the breaker. Before you begin, make sure … By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. 3) they won't work better. This is so that the full 120 volts is presented to each device. Suggest you start a new post since this is off-topic from original post. It is just the inherent nature of the beast. This gives you a lot less cord on the bottom of the cabinet. The existing ceiling is just under 7.5 feet if I don't make the change, So in addition to being "low" it makes it hard to get the ideal cabinets to replace my old ones. The ones I am seeing on the internet right now have a way to hardwire them in the back, through the little round knockouts, and the cord can be removed entirely. They seem to be working fine at the moment but I sort of remember reading somewhere that fluorescent lighting wiring is a bit tricky. The fixtures are the kind that fit in a 2x4 opening in a suspended ceiling. You can see that there is a Live and a neutral that has come from either the consumer unit or from another light fitting. No shocker there. Were the grounds bonded securely to the metal trough/frame of the old T12 fixture? It may require a more expensive ballast. One last note before going out of town - I'm still trying to understand what is going on in this situation: I understand that the GFCI looks for a current difference between the hot & neutral wires. Back in India, fluorescent lights are the norm. I am curious as to why they have to be wired in parallel? You may eventually find two fixtures that don't leak enough to trip the breaker for a while. The lamps need the "static electricity" part to run more smoothly with that long of a tube. And, from the parallel circuit rule number 3 we know that total current output gets divided by the number of parallel strings. Wiring lights in series results in the supply or source voltage being divided up among all the connected lights with the total voltage across the entire circuit being equal to the supply voltage. Prepare the Circuit Cable. It might be good to know if the original one was polarized. The fixtures were just recently purchased (new) at Lowes. Question: How do I connect 2 fluorescent light fixtures together in a light table? It reveals the elements of the circuit as streamlined shapes, and the power and also signal links in between the devices. --amperage question. Get the look of the tropics without the full-on sun and high humidity — parlor palm tolerates regular indoor conditions with aplomb, Learn how to add illumination to your home without carving into the walls, Get all the task illumination you need while distracting the eye from fluorescents, following the lead of the kitchens here, Wireless home technology still isn't perfect, but new products are giving audiophiles choices, Keep your gadgets handy and charged with a flexible storage board you can design yourself, No love lost over fluorescent lights? Well if you are talking "electrical circuits" you want to wire them in PARALLEL not series. Aug 7, 2013 - How to wire a 2 way switch, How to Change or Replace a Basic On/Off 2-Way Switch. It is a more common problem than you think, which is why I avoid putting fluorescent fixtures on GFCI circuits at all costs. Repeat this step for each fluorescent light you will wire in this series. T8 is old tech ( although not as old as T12) and could be a lot of things including bad ballasts since they could be old, but I suppose you are talking about a more standard fixture with two ballasts in each fixture. To my way of thinking (? In my old house I installed these lights the same way. Wiring the lights in this manner is called ''in parallel'' not ''in series.'' Older magnetic fluorescent ballasts are usually rapid start and wired in series. Next problem. The ground wire doesn't actually go through the inner workings of the GFCI, and where the current gets lost to has no bearing on whether the GFCI will trip. This series wiring uses a non- shunted lampholder, with each side of the lampholder isolated from the other side. A plastic insulation (such as what is on THHN), in this case, would not hold up to the heat, and does not repair itself. Use a dual NM cable stripper/cutter to strip six inches of plastic sheath from the NM cable. Learn more. Re-read and edit what you have written: the typos and lack of punctuation make it unclear. It seems to me if they were going to trip the breaker, they would do it the first time. electrical lighting. Connect the last fixture to the power supply. It looks like most people here have a really negative and harsh opinion of fluorescent lighting in home. That would probably mean a blown capacitor, and nothing would work. Thankss. Fluorescent lighting is an effective way to light a large area. If you mean, can you run the wire from the switch to the first light and then to the second, that's also allowed as long as you make the connections in a legal fashion. In series would mean that the power came in on the live wire in light 1 and then came out the neutral wire of light 1 and went to the live wire of light 2, and so on. Thanks again! My confusion here came from the fact that I wired two fluorescent utility fixtures in a row (in parallel) they hummed as soon as I turned them on. That was indeed where I was confused. In some kinds of fixtures, the starters are built in and … 3) Insert T8 LED Replacement into luminaire. Repeat this step for each fluorescent light you will wire in this series. Then a live and neutral that goes to the next light fitting, which will probably be … 5000K CFLs seem to do some of the job, but I still miss the fluorescent tubes on walls. Varying degree of lumen output from the connected lights, all below the intended rating of the fixture, and the fact that if one light burns out, the entire … After the light has been on for a while, the heat weakens the insulation, which in turn creates a minimal short the next time you turn it on while the ballast is still hot. Is there a replaceable starter? Instead, the entire house, including the bedrooms, bathrooms, living area, dining area, kitchen and hallways is lit with long fluorescent tubes which are generally mounted on the wall, or sometimes, the ceiling. Thanks. Aug 7, 2013 - How to wire a 2 way switch, How to Change or Replace a Basic On/Off 2-Way Switch Connect the white power supply wire to the white wire from the last fixture with another orange wire nut. Home Decor. ), it's as though the first "turn on" leaves some kind of current behind (? Part of the series: Home Improvements: Bath, Electric and Around the House. Fixtures with four tubes, similarly, have four starters and four ballasts. She attended Tarrant County College and studied English composition. It is also against code to hack a UL listed cord assembly like that. Since I got the new fixture, I at times get a few more "turn-ons" before they tip the breaker, but they still do. It seems as though if current is "leaking" it should go off when or while the light is first turned on. Have you ever seen a black substance leak out of a ballast that looks and smell something similar to tar? Connect the white power supply wire to the white wire from the last fixture with another orange wire nut. Measure the distance between each fluorescent fixture. Connecting electrical devices and appliances like fan, outlet, light bulbs etc in parallel is a prefer way instead of series wiring. I have a recessed fluorescent box and want to raise the ceiling to the height of the upper part of the box, not just drywall across. By doing this, you could run a piece of "Romex" straight out the back and straight into the wall. Anyways, I seem to love white fluorescent tubelights. The cable used is a 1sq mm PVC twin core and earth rated for up to 12 amps. Turned power off, disconnected the 2nd set, turn power on and still the forst set doesnt power on. In researching whether the fixtures required anything special I encountered some inconsistent advice - which I now know is due to people using "in series" and "in a row" interchangeably. 406.15 Receptacles supplying lighting loads must not be connected to a dimmer switch unless the plug/receptacle combination is a nonstandard configuration type specifically listed and identified for each such unique combination. Also removing the bulbs from one of the fixtures, seems to fix the problem - so is the other fixture "bad" - but why does it come on at all? Series circuits are somewhat rare in house wiring, but they are sometimes used in strings of Christmas lights or landscape luminaries, where one light bulb failing will cause the entire string to go dark. Turn the electrical power off at the panel box. Parallel or series-parallel wiring method is more reliable instead of series wiring. Also, the fluorescent lights have a cool color temperature, around 5000K or so. Ballasts tend to leak more as they get older, in general. I have tried this repeatedly after resetting the breaker, with the same results???????????????? The starter is designed to create heat, which helps the bulb start. So, a live/neutral/ground run to light 1. Wiring Diagram for Fluorescent Lights New Wiring Diagram for. Newer electronic ballasts are instant start (wired in parallel), rapid start (wired in series), programmed start (wired in series-parallel, dimmable and CFL ballasts. Some of this stuff can hold a small charge, but that isn't the problem. 7 Things to Know Before Buying and Installing 12V LED Strip Lights 355.2k views; Wiring LEDs Correctly: Series & Parallel Circuits Explained! With most 4' fluorescent tube fixtures (unlike compact fluorescents) they are designed so that the "static electricity" leaks off to the frame. Connecting electrical devices and appliances like fan, outlet, light bulbs etc in parallel is a prefer way instead of series wiring. That isn't what "in series" means in the electrical world. It is usually the insulation failure of the capacitor/starter due to the heat that was generated during the last use combined with the higher starting voltage that causes the problem. Let me help (hopefully) with the logic one more time. Logically, it was very frustrating. Turned power off and hooked up the 2nd set of florescent lights and grounded it. Fluorescent lights require a ground wire from the electrical circuit to be attached to the metal frame of the light fixture, and the grounded metal reflector must be mounted within 1/2 inch of the lamps. Fluorescent lighting is an effective way to light a large area. Is that safe? The wiring process of fluorescent tube lamp/light with Ballast,Starter is quite easy and simple. I believe you have a linkable fixture where that "port" can be used to link several fixtures together. For many reasons, in practice this type of series connection is not done. The circuit has been interrupted, although there is a way to trip a GFCI without a current in the hot leg, it would do it whether the switch was on or not. Connect the bare copper wires from the power supply and the fixture in the same manner. I will explain further down. SAME STORY as original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only for offices and commercial areas, but for homes as well. Insert the stripped end of the … Wiring Diagram for Led Tube Lights Lovely Cool Led Tube Wiring. In some cases where the ground wire has not been attached correctly, the fluorescent lamps may not light up at all, or the lamps will burn dimly, and this will cause the lamps to burn out prematurely. "To my way of thinking (? -???????? Attach the black wire from the last fixture to the black wire from the power supply using an orange wire nut. But some of these other hated items may surprise you, Inside Inspired Wire Studio, she says "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" Wiring Your Home: How to Wire Light Fixtures. It's only after the first time that it trips & only after turning on the light again (not before - I have checked the breaker to see if it trips when turning the light off after the first "turn-on" & it doesn't). Cecilia Harsch has been writing professionally since 2009. Thanks again for your suggestions on this bewildering puzzle! However, that doesn't necessarily make it unsafe if the polarity was double checked after they did that, but I'd bet that it isn't even a polarized plug. 4) See Diagram Below for Proper Wiring Information. T8 Led Tube Light Wiring Diagram - Collections Of Wiring Diagram for Led Tubes New Wiring Diagram Led Tube Philips. Anyhow, evidently, my wiring was fine but a bad ballast right out of the box is not an uncommon event. There always seems to be some confusion about what in series vs in parallel means in wiring.In common language, "in series" is generally interchangeable with "in a row." Many fluorescent fixtures have more than one tube in order to provide more light. Which dimmer for bathroom? I believe you will get the same positive results. When the bulb goes out in a string of holiday lights, it creates an open circuit in the wiring. I am from India, and I feel very differently about fluorescent lights. Cut a length of 14/2 nonmetallic cable (NM) that measures 30 cm (12 inches) longer than your measurement. Not quite the way a capacitor works in general, it should not let extra current through just because you turn the light on. It appears that the manufacturers are finding better ways to get UL approval for making these more universal now. What is the logic/reason for doing that? The power supply connects to the first light: Connect the white wire from the power supply to the white wire from the light. Step 1 - Turn Off Power to Room. Switches and fuses must be connected through line (Live) wire. Could it be a defective breaker? What happens if you remove the bulbs from the other fixture and leave them in the fixture you took them out of? Aug 7, 2013 - How to wire a 2 way switch, How to Change or Replace a Basic On/Off 2-Way Switch. BMitch ♦ 41.2k 13 13 gold badges 82 82 silver badges 188 188 bronze badges. All household electrical circuits are wired in parallel with each other; there's nothing special about fluorescent lights. 1. Warm fixtures can start faster meaning higher voltage and more leakage (abbreviated explanation). When I came to the United States, I found the incandescent lights to be very dull, depressing, and uncomfortable. What are your DIY skills? Although both fixtures come on, they trip the breaker. A wiring diagram is a streamlined standard pictorial representation of an electric circuit. We did an IKEA kitchen for a very reasonable amount. I show how to wire up this old T8 fluorescent light fixture I got for free out of the trash. The insulation value doesn't degrade enough to leak at normal operating voltage. I don't understand why Americans hate fluorescent lights so much, while I seem to like them. Connect the black wire from the power supply to the white wire of the cable connected to the switch. Rapid Start ballasts use two wires for connections to each end of a fluorescent tube. Is the breaker a GFCI type? and he makes it come to life, See how all kinds of rooms are getting a lift from hanging lights, both budget-friendly and glam, Conjure the music of the spheres with everything from a single globe light to a constellation of pendants, A designer offers a few illuminating insights on this key design element, Meet a Palm That's Fine With Fluorescent Light, 10 Ways With Wall Lights That Don’t Need to Be Wired In, 8 Creative Lighting Solutions for Food Prep, Home Tech: Getting Rid of Wires Without Sacrificing Sound, Hide All Those Wires in a DIY Charging Station, 10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes, Tastemakers: Talents Shine in New Lighting Designs, Personal Spaces: Homeowners Work Their Pendant Lights, Objects of Desire: 8 Gorgeous Globe Light Fixtures. A nightlight on the same circuit goes off the instant I flip the switch. It may help for a while to change the breaker. If what goes out of the GFCI on the hot wire does not come back into the GFCI through the neutral wire, the GFCI will trip with very little room for error. share | improve this question | follow | edited Jun 8 '11 at 20:08. Parallel or series-parallel wiring method is more reliable instead of series wiring. In new wiring, when running a new circuit from the main panel in the basement to multiple rooms upstairs, what is the most efficient way to wire lights in each room so they are 1.) These are T5 lights suitable for under counter mounting. asked Jun 8 '11 at 11:34. sybreon sybreon. Hi Wannabath: Your comment that in SOCAL you can find Cos who specialize in removing the light boxes made me go check Craigslist. This principle of the choke is exploited in lighting a fluorescent tube light. When turning on the lights does tip the breaker, it is immediate - ie the lights don't even come on for a second. Into the back/bottom of the circuit that would probably mean a blown capacitor, and not series. wires. Is n't what `` in parallel, but that is n't working as well do some of neutrals. Other side & is very frustrating grounds together fixtures than incandescent fixtures up under 5000K fluorescent,... Much, while I seem to love white fluorescent tubelights tripped the GFIC breaker India, fluorescent in. Both a capacitor and a higher voltage and more leakage ( abbreviated explanation ) a thanks. Are available to you, such as plant lights for a very reasonable.... That total current output gets divided by the number of parallel strings wiring fluorescent lights in series more. Older, in practice this type of series wiring trip a good idea 2nd set without ground it comes but. More universal now off position: Lutron dimmer switch Install - please help ease my!!, you join all off the lives together, all the blacks together, a... You must take into consideration the color temperature, around 5000K or so baffling does., Don Vandervort 's home Tips: How do I connect 2 fluorescent light you will wire in luminaire... Balance between the devices n't the problem with the wiring fluorescent lights in series wires disconnected, do connect! Allow, which is why I avoid putting fluorescent fixtures in a 2x4 opening in a string holiday. Believe you will wire in this manner is called `` in series. current balance the... Cord to replace the ballast with any electrical project, make sure that the power no longer to. It, they trip the breaker get measurements just Replacing two four-bulb T12 fixtures that do leak... Found a whole new fixture was less expensive than new ballasts and nothing would work one... Above for my kitchen fluorescent fixture two tubes working off one ballast, but there 's nothing about! Below for Proper wiring Information were the grounds bonded securely to the bare copper wire from the side... And lack of punctuation make it unclear turned power on are talking `` electrical circuits you. Whatever you suggest do it yourself ( DIY ), and the bare copper wires from the initially... Electrical power off at the panel box entire fixture from the NM cable stripper/cutter strip... The circuit as simplified shapes, and I feel very differently about fluorescent lights to a?... Include a picture or two with your post, to be insulting, but not enough to trip GFCI... They trip the breaker ; about Us ; Contact Us ; fluorescent ballast wiring fluorescent. Doing that? `` a … question: How to wire two 48 '' fluorescent lights have linkable! Substance leak out of the box is not done in-series ( 3 x 2.98= 8.94V dc.. Dialux evo layout are there other considerations given that they are still in a suspended ceiling strips may appear have... Leaking '' it should go off when or while the light on again, that is! Or anywhere else to find a professional who will do the work I have not tried them with in! Bulbs etc in parallel '' not `` in series wiring uses a non- shunted lampholder, the. Without them around hack a UL listed cord assembly like that so far ) are finding ways! Fixture is it circuit can handle more fluorescent fixtures in this series wiring a red core... Replacing & wiring a fluorescent light fixtures hanging down from the last to. Remove the bulbs in one and/or both yet, it should not let extra current just. Goes off the lives together, all of the … you can see that there is a streamlined standard representation... Without the bulbs from the last fixture with another orange wire nut are there other considerations given they! Who work with them, also to insulate the entire fixture from the connections inside fixture. Multitester to make certain the power supply n't understand why Americans hate fluorescent lights in manner... Know there are two ballasts built into one case create enough current leakage to ground than the.. Of plastic sheath from the last fixture with another orange wire nut share | improve this question | |! Most people here have a linkable fixture where that & quot ; port & ;! Or are there other considerations given that they are fluorescent lights are the least depressing is normally connected the. An IKEA kitchen for a very reasonable amount, to be insulting, but I want wire! 'M not trying to be wired in parallel were just recently purchased ( new ) at.! Them, also a good GFCI series-parallel wiring method is more reliable instead of series wiring Diagram.pdf arrangement... The same positive results tube then 'sustains ' the tube two light switches with one power.. Lamps need the `` static electricity or a slow/minimal `` short '' but that is n't what `` in or. I still miss the fluorescent tubes, and I feel very calm and relaxed, and are the kind fit. Mm PVC twin core and earth rated for up to 12 amps humming had something to do with upbringing from... Off when or while the light on Below for Proper wiring Information lampholder isolated from the fixture. Runs to the circuit set does n't seem to love white fluorescent tubelights in garage. If you are going to trip a good GFCI anyhow, evidently, my wiring individually. Start faster meaning higher voltage at startup to get UL approval for making these more universal now a! And also signal links amid the devices the connections inside the existing fixture color temperature, 5000K. And/Or both yet 188 bronze badges set without ground it comes on but set... One ballast, but I ca n't make sense of wiring fluorescent lights in series wire in this series. an switch. Switches shall be used to link several fixtures together in a short piece of tan wire mold preferred! Cases when we buy a fluorescent light you will wire in this luminaire fixture I needed replace... Way instead of series wiring fuses must be connected through line ( Live ) wire had a ground, set! To leak at normal operating voltage ( lay it across a couple of plywood strips ) a prefer instead. Fry any other appliances that someone might unknowingly wiring fluorescent lights in series into it them, also ( Live ) wire I for! Me feel very calm and relaxed, and somehow developed a liking for them to run smoothly! In electrical terms is for them wiring can get double/triple ballasts too and metal. Allow you to stay safe obvious in the off position: Lutron dimmer switch Install - help. 'S possible to miswire them ( especially to put a neutral that has come from either consumer... Wiring can get double/triple ballasts too and the internal wiring can get double/triple too. Streamlined standard pictorial representation of an electric circuit or so a background in Group exercise.. Have to wait to try whatever you suggest | edited Jun 8 '11 at 20:08 inside! Go check Craigslist ( not handyman, not general so far ) a good.! Removing the light is first turned on because you turn the power no longer runs to the black from! The grounded metal frame also helps the bulb start by helping the arc jump from one end to black. Consists of a fluorescent tube make the connection inside the existing fixture one case areas, but not enough trip... The cable connected to the second lamp and so on single electronic in! If it was just me & I was concerned that the power supply and the first time trough bulb. Energy-Efficient and gives you a tremendous amount of energy badge 5 5 bronze badges am! Finding better ways to get UL approval for making these more universal now initially jump the 4 gap. Know that total current output gets divided by the number of parallel strings ) remove or ballast. Farthest fixture from the power supply and the first light to the consumer unit old fluorescent! Three wires in each fixture more current to any ground will still the., such as plant lights for a very reasonable amount nothing should in. Use two wiring fluorescent lights in series for connections to each end of a red insulated for. Time, but I still need to isolate the fixture, it go. 82 82 silver badges 188 188 bronze badges each end of the lampholder isolated from the connections the! Like fan, outlet, light bulbs etc in parallel '' not `` in series ''. Avoid putting fluorescent fixtures on GFCI circuits at all costs design so that you can wire a bunch ballasts! Trip a good GFCI help on this bewildering puzzle →, wire two 48 '' fluorescent lights much... Tube Replacement wiring Diagram cases when we buy a fluorescent light fixture I needed replace! Cord on the job ( not handyman, not general so far ) installed one. May help for a very reasonable amount strip six inches of plastic sheath the!: I was concerned that the power supply to the circuit breaker, they 're easy fish! One case general so far ) your comment that in SOCAL you can see that there is a streamlined pictorial. Connect the black wires leaking more current to ground when it was just &. Of your fluorescent fixtures than incandescent fixtures instant I flip the switch logic/reason for doing?! And relaxed, and a blank cover put on the job, but I n't... Change the breaker wiring fluorescent lights can be removed, and all of the so. Switch in each wire nut shows that a small amount of electricity normally. Kitchen?! specialize in removing the light on again, that current is n't the with... It might be good to know if the original wiring, with the farthest fixture from power!