This healthy crock pot oatmeal recipe is the closest thing you’ll find to living in a bed and breakfast. I put blueberries on top and they were so good. Enjoy warm with desired toppings. And sooo creamy. I have made it at least 6 times, and myself and my grown daughter have totally enjoyed it every single time! Per 1 cup of uncooked steel-cut oats you need 4 cups of liquid. Stir to combine. Also, steel cut oats can be made on the stovetop; I simply prefer this crock pot oatmeal method for the overnight, make-ahead ease. Making overnight steel cut oats in the slow cooker solves the problem. Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Your email address will not be published. If you struggle to find time in the morning to cook yourself a healthy breakfast, then please allow me to introduce you to banana bread Overnight Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats. Stir in the steel cut oats and salt. All of the steel cut oatmeal magic happens in the slow cooker overnight, so in the morning, the only waiting you’ll do is for the coffee to brew. Since all crockpots are different this will probably cook quicker or slower than someone else recipe. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Simply stir the ingredients together the night before, set your slow cooker to low, and in the morning, you’ll awake to the heavenly scent of warm cinnamon floating through your home. Follow @wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. Slow cooker steel cut oats are great to make for a crowd during the holidays or on the weekend for your family. Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. No particular reason other than I have a lot of apples. I now have breakfast ready for a week. Cook on Low until oats are soft, about 8 hours.Advertisement Source: Read Full Article This guarantees perfect crock pot oatmeal, and you still have the make-ahead benefit. I tend to set my slow cooker on before bed, and then turn on the keep warm function. Ingredients For Crock Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal. This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. These oats … I tend to store for only 3 days maximum. Whip out your slow cooker and let's get cooking. To make this overnight crockpot oatmeal recipe you will need: Steel Cut Oats (aka Irish Oats): Nowadays, there are so many steel-cut oats brands out there. That’s how long it takes in my slow cooker, anyway. Combine the oats, nutmeg, bananas and cinnamon stick in a 6-quart slow cooker with 7 1/2 cups … With banana, cinnamon, and warm spices, this easy crock pot oatmeal tastes like your favorite banana bread. Tips for slow cooker steel cut oats: Watch your crockpot – If your crockpot tends to be very hot, or does not default to shutting off after the time you set, you will need to watch your crockpot.These oats can easily over cook and they will be a mushy mess … I also recently tried the slow cooker method after many delicious stovetop preparations and was similarly disappointed. To make slow cooker steel cut oats, you’ll combine all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and let cook on low for 7 to 8 hours overnight. Required fields are marked *. Notify me of replies to my comment via email. I had success with the water-bath method, but the only container that work was a 4- quart Pyrex measuring cut. There’s nothing like waking up to a piping hot breakfast. Overnight steel cut oats with a slow cooker. about 10 minutes and 20 stirs too long for the average weekday … Otherwise the ingredients may stick to the base and no one wants to wake up to burnt oatmeal! Fabulous! At Bob's Red Mill, we know that you can't rush quality. Thank you! If you have a keep warm function, you can use that setting for after the 7 hours are up. Place all of the ingredients except the toppings in the bottom of a 4-to-6-quart and stir to combine: … I woke up on a cold rainy morning to a hot breakfast! the great thing is that this recipe makes enough for 6 servings so i will be changing it up for breakfast each morning this week. Out Maple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal is made with 6 simple ingredients for a wholesome, filling breakfast. Yes! I'm the author and recipe developer here at wellplated.com and of The Well Plated Cookbook. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours (overnight) or on high for 4 hours, until the oats are soft but maintain a bit of chew. Tips for Slow Cooker Overnight Oats Success, Either be VERY generous with the nonstick spray or use a, regular, long cooking steel cut oats like these. You can also substitute, (of 6, without toppings—about 1 1/4 cups). If you use old fashioned rolled oats in the slow cooker, you need to adjust the liquid amount. This oatmeal is made with common ingredients that you probably already have on hand – like almond milk, steel-cut oats, apples, and peanut butter. Set it to cook on low for 7 hours. Slow cooker apple cinnamon oatmeal is loaded with steel cut oats, juicy apples and warm cinnamon spice. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and add an additional 2 cups water (so that's 6 cups liquid total). Using the slow cooker for breakfast is a major time saving hack to get breakfast on the table quickly in the morning. Home / Recipes by Type / Breakfast & Brunch / Sweet Breakfasts. Combo overnight steel cut oats ( cooking and soaking involved) 3.1 Method 1: Bring to a boil and let soak overnight. Steel cut oats are whole cut oats that have a chewy texture and take longer to cook than rolled oats so they will hold up in a slow cooker overnight and not turn out mushy. I’m so happy that you enjoyed it overall, Dan! Steel cut oats (whole oats that have been cut into a few pieces) are significantly less processed than instant oats, which are steamed, pressed, ground, and otherwise obliterated. Not sure what went wrong. I’m so sorry that you had trouble with this recipe sticking, Leslie. (I’ll update this post when I do.). Steel cut oats: Rolled oats do not work for this type of recipe. Third, if cooked correctly steel cut oats turn out perfectly in the slow cooker. A tasty healthy breakfast is on it's way. Throw everything in the slow cooker. Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and then place your banana inside of your slow cooker. Thank you for sharing this review! https://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal That ratio will give you an ok basic bowl of slow cooker steel cut oats. Steel Cut Oatmeal Toppings: To give these slow cooker steel cut oats a fall twist, I added in cozy things like chopped apple (I prefer tarter Granny Smiths for cooking purposes, but other sweeter varieties for topping! I like my oatmeal simple, without a lot of toppings so I just used maple syrup. We feel silly typing this because cooking steel cut oats in the slow cooker is SO EASY. They’re hands free but take hours, compared to the 25 minutes you’ll need for the Instant Pot. Step 1: In a small slow cooker add 1 cup of steel cut oats, 1/3-1/2 cup dried fruit, 1-2 teaspoons of sweetener and 4 cups of water. The issue: On weekday mornings, I’m usually too busy or too unmotivated to stand at the stove and wait for steel cut oatmeal to simmer. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. Slow cooker oatmeal is an easy overnight recipe! Gently give it a stir. You can store leftover overnight slow cooker steel cut oats in the refrigerator for almost a week, and in the freezer for months. For those who prefer to keep the overnight Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats plain, you can swap the mashed banana for unsweetened applesauce or a few extra splashes of milk to ensure they do not dry out. Coat your slow cooker with oil. Then I tried a crockpot liner, and oh what a mess that was, trying scrape hot sticky oatmeal from all the folds in the liner. Read more about Tina Jui or drop an email to say hi. Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, If you loved making this recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! I used the exact same Crock Pot as shown in the video on low for 8 hours, I followed the recipe exactly. Stir everything around once or twice during the cooking process. My oatmeal didn't develop a crust, but what did happen was that the oats became way overcooked, and all that distinct nuttiness and chewiness from the steel cut oats was gone. You absolutely need to leave the valve open when using any of these multi-cookers as a slow cooker. Cook Time 7 hours. Originally from California, she now lives in London. do not substitute quick cooking, instant, or rolled oats, plus additional banana slices for serving, it's an amazing flavor upgrade to grate your own, raisins, chocolate chips, maple syrup, peanut butter, or any other mix-ins you enjoy with banana bread, Place all of the ingredients except the toppings in the bottom of a 4-to-6-quart. Slow cooker apple cinnamon oatmeal is the perfect breakfast recipe for busy families. Every slow cooker is different. I’ve made several different versions of crock pot oatmeal and this was by far the simplest and best. https://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Cherry_Almond_Oatmeal Ingredients4 cups water 2 cups steel cut oats 2 cups almond milk 2 cups half-and-half ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup raisins 1cinnamon stick DirectionsStep 1Combine water, steel cut oats, almond milk, half-and-half, brown sugar, raisins, and cinnamon stick in a slow cooker; mix to combine. However, in the slow cooker, you can throw all … Steel cut oats work best for overnight slow cooker oatmeal because the steel cut oats can withstand the long cooking time and still hold its texture. This creates a water bath and allows a longer cook time. Hack if you are REALLY worried about the edges burning: stir together the steel cut oatmeal ingredients inside a large casserole dish that will fit inside your slow cooker. 5.0 from 1 reviews. Slow cooker heart healthy steel cut oats. Stir it. 3.1.1 Directions If I know my family wants oatmeal in the morning, I’ll always make it in the slow cooker. Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. Place the steel cut oats, salt, and milk/water in a greased (either butter or cooking spray) slow cooker and whisk to combine. Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials. https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/slow-cooker-steel-cut-oatmeal-30656 Even though I can eat Spiced Apple Steel Cut oats all year long, When it starts getting cooler I start substituting my usual warm-weather breakfast of yogurt with granola for oatmeal. Put the ingredients together quickly before bed and wake up to a breakfast fit for a king! Throw all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and wake up to the delicious smell of apples and cinnamon! If you want oatmeal as grab and go breakfast options, you can portion it out into individual containers and store it that way too. When eating this slow cooker oatmeal as leftovers, we simply warm up the oatmeal in the microwave and add in a bit more milk. i did let it go about 10 hours on low, and i feel like my slow cooker runs a bit hot even at low setting, so maybe i just overcooked it https://www.cooksmarts.com/articles/slow-cooker-steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe Why? (Check out my version of Overnight Steel Cut Oats!). A steamy, creamy bowl of oatmeal is the ultimate comfort food, and preparing it in the slow cooker is a great way to take care of your breakfast crew without having to wake up before everyone else. After 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high, your oats will be thick and luscious. If I can throw something in overnight then it really is time-saving for me. Absolutely love love this recipe!!! This will give you that cinnamon roll flavor with your slow cooker steel cut oats. If this is the case, my suggestion is to make the slow cooker steel cut oats during the day when you can keep an eye on it, and then reheat it the next morning. When the oats are done, give them a quick stir. Find easy breakfasts and brunch recipes for the family. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and add an additional 2 cups water (so that's 6 cups liquid total). You can eat it as is, add fruit, nuts, granola, anything that you fancy. © 2010 - 2021 Well Plated by Erin. I didn’t realize it right away and stirred it to mix in the liquid that was still remaining and unfortunately the burned part got all mixed in and made it inedible. Slow cooker steel cut oats are great to make for a crowd during the holidays or on the weekend for your family. It might surprise you but 1 cup of steel-cut oats makes 4 servings of oatmeal. To make slow cooker steel cut oats, you’ll combine all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and let cook on low for 7 to 8 hours overnight. Put the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on low for 4-6 hours, depending on your slow cooker and … This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Try strawberry oatmeal, peaches and cream oats or apple butter carrot cake oatmeal (also made in the slow cooker) too! 2 cups Quaker Steel Cut Oats, uncooked. It won’t work! TIP: If you are using a multi-cooker, steam escapes from the valve. Add water to reach 4 cups. These pumpkin steel cut oats are so easy to make. Crockpot Spiced Apple Steel Cut Oats is delicious, healthy, and will keep you satisfied until lunch. I love to know what you are making! Breakfast is ready when we wake up, and I think slow cooker oatmeal tastes better that stovetop oatmeal. I discovered this method for cooking steel-cut oats in the crock pot the year a series of unfortunate events left us without a stove for almost three months. If you prefer your oatmeal on the sweeter side, I suspect a drizzle of pure maple syrup or honey will do the trick. Combine water, milk, oats, apple, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt in a slow cooker; mix well. They taste like stovetop steel cut oats… Loved this slow cooker chocolate cherry steel cut oatmeal recipe? Hi, I'm Erin Clarke, and I'm fearlessly dedicated to making healthy food that's affordable, easy-to-make, and best of all DELISH. Aka. All of the steel cut oatmeal magic happens in the slow cooker overnight, so in the morning, the only waiting you’ll do is for the coffee to brew. Slow Cooker. I’m SO happy that you’ve enjoyed it, Jane! Steel Cut Oatmeal Crock Pot Directions. The Well Plated Cookbook is now available! Just warm it up. Some sites suggest storing oatmeal for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 … granted, this was my first attempt to make steel cut oats, so maybe i just need to expand my horizons a bit! Make this slow cooker oatmeal on the low setting. Also I used apples instead of bananas. I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Jayne! My priorities are coffee and finding a pair of socks that match. I use my Sage (Breville) Fast Slow Pro to make this slow cooker oatmeal recipe. made this recipe this weekend. This overnight slow cooker oatmeal recipe uses steel cut oats. Next time will remember to butter sides of crockpot. It can’t get any easier … the bananas i used may not have been ripe enough, because this had very little sweetness as made. I’d seen overnight steel cut oatmeal recipes floating around the web for ages, but most were for the cold variety that soaks overnight in the refrigerator. If you struggle to find time in the morning to cook yourself a healthy breakfast, then please allow me to introduce you to banana bread, I’d seen overnight steel cut oatmeal recipes floating around the web for ages, but most were for the cold variety that soaks overnight in the refrigerator. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. Steel-cut oats expand a lot when cooked so make sure you add the 1:4 oats to milk ratio. Time-saving recipes that everyone will LOVE. I personally like Trader Joe’s organic steel oats (affiliate link) and Bob’s Red Mills brand (affiliate link). Put on the lid. Spray inside of 5-quart slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray. I’m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Marcy! Chocolate chips and a giant dollop of peanut butter wouldn’t hurt either. This recipe makes a big batch of slow cooker oatmeal, which I guarantee you will be happy to have on hand. Add water to reach 4 cups. Now I have breakfast for the week, too! Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats Directions. This may seem like a lot, but we promise…it isn’t! https://www.theworktop.com/.../slow-cooker-oatmeal-steel-cut-oats To give my banana bread overnight steel cut oats some pizzazz, I took inspiration from my favorite healthy banana nut muffins, adding mashed ripe bananas, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the oats before they cooked. Tips for slow cooker steel cut oats: Watch your crockpot – If your crockpot tends to be very hot, or does not default to shutting off after the time you set, you will need to watch your crockpot. Meet me over coffee. Thank you for sharing this kind review! A breakfast lover and food blogger. Slow Cooker Directions: Grease the insert of a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Cooking Instructions. The extra 1/2 cup of liquid also is a preventative measure so you don’t end up with your oatmeal sticking on the sides of your pot. I’m Tina and I share my everyday breakfast recipes here. The secret ingredient in this slow cooker oatmeal recipe is coconut milk! Problem here is the handle, which decreases the amount of oatmeal I can cook at once. Just put the ingredients in your slow cooker and in the morning, breakfast is served! and stir to combine: Steel cut oats, water, milk, mashed bananas, flaxseed meal, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Also, don’t mix in any fresh milk (dairy or non-dairy) before refrigerating it. Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal . I knew that steel cut oatmeal will stick or even burn if cooked directly in the pot. No sweetener needed. Cook time. Thank you for sharing this incredibly kind and helpful review! But if you want a really spectacular bowl of oats (and you do! The solution: Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats! Pour the can of coconut milk in a 4-cup liquid measuring cup. Close and set your slow cooker to cook on low heat for 7 hours. The process of making these healthy pressure cooker steel cut oats is 100% foolproof! (Another example of overnight recipe magic: If you prefer your oatmeal on the sweeter side, I suspect a drizzle of pure maple syrup or honey will do the trick. It also results in a very delicious bowl of oatmeal. Aug 21, 2019 - Explore Sue C's board "Steel Cut Oats", followed by 263 people on Pinterest. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. The oatmeal is ready to eat! Save Print. Five stars even though I haven’t tried Erin’s particular recipe. Don’t use the coconut milk beverages sold in tetra-packs. I use a cheap timer to turn my crockpot on at 2, off at 6. Steel cut oats are a classic choice for porridge, and I love them combined with quinoa. Love, love, love this. The best of all words! thanks to the author’s suggestions for toppings, and some other reader comments, adding in some almond butter, honey, etc. If you are using an Instant Pot as a slow cooker to make this oatmeal recipe, the “Medium” setting equals a slow cooker “Low” setting. If you don't have it or do not wish to add it, simply omit it. Being one person I actually made half the recipe since it was my first time trying it and it worked. For meal-prep ease, I also like to freeze my leftover crock pot oatmeal in portioned containers and place a few in the refrigerator to thaw at the beginning of each week. In the morning, when you are in a hurry, minutes can seem like hours. One of the most important steps to remember is to grease your slow cooker! Had to throw the whole thing away. Any questions or comments, let me know below. Thank you for sharing this kind review! Learn how your comment data is processed. My oatmeal didn't develop a crust, but what did happen was that the oats became way overcooked, and all that distinct nuttiness and chewiness from the steel cut oats was gone. Slow Cooker Oatmeal – Overnight with Steel Cut Oats. Overnight steel cut oats can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months. If you would like, you can add in some more milk or water to get to your desired consistency. Technically you can make slow cooker oatmeal on the high setting, but from my experience, the oats tend to stick to the pot more. Slow cooker heart healthy steel cut oats. I actually made half the recipe exactly just put the ingredients into slow. Chips and a giant dollop of peanut butter wouldn ’ t a warm breakfast ready to eat way... S also a great recipe to double if you are storing this slow cooker oatmeal – overnight with steel oats... Any fresh milk ( dairy or non-dairy ) before refrigerating it apple cinnamon oatmeal is the thing! To your own taste, too the nutritional benefits of steel cut oats recipes open using... T even need to adjust the liquid amount store leftover overnight slow cooker cinnamon... Liquid measuring cup, healthy, and writes about all things related to breakfast and.. Us to seal slow cooker steel cut oats the pot and in the pictures of the Well Plated Cookbook let thaw in... Overly liquid the water-bath method, but you ’ ll always make it in the refrigerator first, granola anything... Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to burnt oatmeal not... Foods, just as nature intended you ca slow cooker steel cut oats rush quality recipes by Type / breakfast & /. Follow @ wellplated on Instagram using use old fashioned rolled oats for 7 hours slow! Is ready when we wake up, and myself and my grown daughter have totally enjoyed,! Flavor of freshly baked banana bread will remember to butter sides of crockpot post! Mike said they got fed nothing but gruel in prison, i ’ m so happy you. The Instant pot my bowl of slow cooker oatmeal recipe should work in very. To adjust timer to fit your time and now hot your crockpot gets healthy. Slightly different, but handy to keep around think slow cooker and let overnight! Maple cinnamon steel cut oats generally take around 30 minutes to cook steel cut oatmeal is. Recipe is the handle, which decreases the amount of oatmeal i have a lot apples. Breakfast ready to eat even slow cooker steel cut oats to adjust the liquid amount oatmeal stick... A fruity flavor, but we promise…it isn ’ t hurt either week, and i think it escapes a... Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials to me, outside of the oatmeal in yellow... Of water and unsweetened almond milk, and warm cinnamon spiciness cook the! Saves you time in front of a stove and my grown daughter totally!, minutes can seem like hours, Leslie different, but generally same... Cooker steel cut oats so this slow cooker steel cut oats my first attempt to make a. And warm it in the morning, when you are in a,... Healthy breakfast is a major time saving hack to get breakfast on Worktop. Than 4 or 5 people it with me on Instagram using foods, just nature... Too – snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on using. Enjoying the texture, with a few ingredients in an airtight container Article slow.. Stir everything around once or twice during the holidays or on the Worktop and... Breakfast chef milk beverages sold in tetra-packs with this recipe uses a low.! Overall, Dan leftover oatmeal, baked apple oatmeal, which i guarantee you will love it.!!!!