... Machine Quilting a Quilt. (And the knowledge of the tools. Before you ever sit down at your sewing machine, quilt sandwich in hand, make sure you begin with a good baste. I don't think there’s an easier way to quilt your quilt on a longarm than with these simple straight lines! Most batting requires quilting at least 8 or 10 inches, but I’m going to recommend you overachieve a little bit: quilt every 4 inches. Learn the 6 simple steps to straight line quilting, or as some call it, matchstick quilting. The order of my sewing looked a little something like this: When quilting in the same direction, you have a couple options, mostly based on how large your machine's throat space is (the area between the needle and the base of the machine). Is this correct? 6 Tips for Straight Line Machine Quilting (a.k.a. When I sew straight lines down from the top using a walking foot the top fabric seems to shift so when I get to my next pin there is excess fabric that increases as I go along. Straight-line quilting is the easiest form of machine quilting. I did a straight line diagonal stitch in both directions and now have 2 “ diamond shapes. Or do you pivot within the center strips? I love this, thank you! If backing, it could be that you aren’t stretching the fabric tight enough during the basting process. I shall be trying some of them tomorrow. Depending on the quilt pattern, you could change the thread color to match the fabric. Location: Waterford Michigan. Sign Up for the Newsletter, Get a Free Pattern! Transparent thread can definitely work. I think next to it looks better. “Mistakes” that make lemonade: I have to tell you, I absolutely love the rippled texture you got when you quilted in opposite directions (tho you may not want it all the time). I love your enthusiasm. It gives such a fresh & modern feel and can be used in so many different projects and patterns. This can definitely be done on a domestic machine. After that, you could try a couple others things to see if they help. Walk with the walking foot. Depending on your machine, this produces lines of quilting that are approximately ¼” apart. Start sewing on the batting above the quilt. You are saying use 80/12 needles but when I look at those they say they are for overlock serger? If your tension is off, you'll be able to see the secondary thread color on the wrong side. Straight Line Quilting. Referring to Diagram 3, continue stitching pairs of straight lines, alternating the quilting on each side of center, to complete the quilting design (Diagram 4). The other is that despite my superhuman efforts at basting I still get fabric that wants to pleat as the walking foot goes over it. Pin even closer together. moments. Thank you for your prompt response. Referring to Diagram 3, continue stitching pairs of straight lines, alternating the quilting on each side of center, to complete the quilting design (Diagram 4). I’ve tried tape, using the walking foot guide, “eye balling” it, and I still can’t seem to get a really good straight line. Come back every day to see the featured free tutorial. Proudly Australian; A1 Longarm Quilting Machines. I am trying to figure out how to machine quilt the maypole quilt without creating tension issues. I don’t find this to be necessary very often, but if bulk is a real issue, try it. I recommend backstitching to finish the row. I remove the pins as I quilt. To set up your sewing machine, strap on that walking foot. Please help. If you're going to pick different colors, run a couple tests on a scrap quilt sandwich to make sure your tension is perfect. Straight line machine quilting is best accomplished by replacing a regular presser foot with a walking foot, often called an even-feed foot. You can see how I do that in this post – https://suzyquilts.com/how-to-machine-quilt/. Sew your straight line quilting just like normal – going slowly and sewing in the same direction. You supply the tools. That foot is your guide even though it’s about 3/4″ in front of the needle. Quilting a twin quilt on a domestic machine is no small feat. When I first learned straight line quilting, I was so excited that I slammed my foot on the pedal and raced from top to bottom. Really stretch out the backing and keep the batting and top incredibly smooth while pinning at least every 3″. Jan 30, 2014 - Explore Jan Korte's board "Straight-line Quilting Designs", followed by 159 people on Pinterest. If you dive in with all of the knowledge and tools you need, there’s no chance your next project won’t be fabulous! Even though the quilt is hanging down in front of the sewing machine in the picture above, that's not how it looks when I'm sewing. If that doesn’t solve your problem, at least you know it’s not your baste – it’s your machine. It makes all the difference. They’re basically the straight-line quilting power couple. Problem 1: bulky seams. The quilt shown above is Mountain Horizon. I have a quirky question that I don’t think I’ve seen you answer – I’ve read all your posts multiple times! You know the ones I mean, walking foot only designs. Check out this blog post: How to Baste a Quilt. Straight line quilting takes a lot of skill! Ugh. You’re working with thicker layers than when you’re piecing blocks, so even with a walking foot, you want to sew about half as fast as you would when piecing. Skim the index for it. Sew at half speed. Start your relationship off right, and ask your batting what it needs. 2 Comments Kathy. Want more details on basting a quilt? Could that be a problem? Quilting expert Natalia Bonner is back with more than sixty new linear patterns for triangle blocks, square blocks, borders, and allover designs. I would like those exact colors and where you can get the materials. Usually it’s a stitch length of 5.). Quilting expert Natalia Bonner is back with more than sixty new linear patterns for triangle blocks, square blocks, borders, and allover designs. Straight line quilting is great for beginner quilters. ( big hug ty) Matchstick Quilting). Straight-line Machine Quilting. I suggest quilting something small your first time – like a wall hanging or baby quilt. You may even want to iron your BATTING. Hi Suzy There are several different ways to mark straight lines onto your quilt top. Hi Suzy! When you’re feeling pretty good about this basting business, go ahead and get to know your batting. I’m sorry to hear that, Nancy! XXXXXXX, I found in my instruction manual to completely reduce the pressure on my walking foot – also look ahead as if you were driving – you will get straighter lines – although it is difficult to trust your brain to do what you expect – slowing down makes a huge difference in more even stitches. I think that some natural variation gives my quilts an organic feel - there's no doubt that they are handmade, not mass produced. Your website has provided so many great tips to simplify the process. From what I understand stitch down the line, backstitch, Skip the next block, Backstitch, restart the line till you get to the end of the quilt, backstitch and cut the thread. How To Do Easy Straight Line Quilting - 4 Ways! I’m doing double duty over here.) Probably won’t work well for free motion, but would give a really interesting finish with straight stitching. That’s a huge accomplishment. As long as you’ve got your foot pressed on the pedal, do not let your gaze wander. The key is to baste really really well and sew really really slowly. Thank you. Another tip that helps with both straight line quilting, as well as other types of quilting, is to use quilt clips to roll up the quilt sandwich as you work. The infographic above shows a diagram of what I thought you were supposed to do. This is such a great tutorial! Sewing is a lot like riding a bike. New to sewing? Parallelogram? Should have known to come here first Thank you!! I can see that it will be a lot more work than just doing plain vertical lines, but it seems worth it! Domestic or longarm machine… anything goes! Super Member . Definitely use a walking foot and sew slowly. Straight-line quilting also creates a great texture, especially when washed … After I change my patchwork foot to my walking foot, I also replace my needle. Here is my method and favorite tool for straight line quilting: a roller wheel (shown above). thread work great together when quilting. I felt like I was wrestling alligators while feeding the material through the machine for the diagonal lines. Straight line machine quilting is best accomplished by replacing a regular presser foot with a walking foot, often called an even-feed foot. It is a fascinating journey. Thanks! When you’re out of options, buying a new sewing machine may be the ideal solution. I prefer straight line quilting in my quilts as opposed to free-motion quilting, mostly because the straight lines compliment the simple, geometric designs in my quilts. Straight line machine quilting is often accomplished with a walking foot installed and the feed dogs up and engaged. I’m new to quilting and can’t wait to read all of your blogs, etc. The struggle lives on! Once you learn the secrets, you will have a lot of ah ha! Also, you can easily achieve consistent stitches since your machine will help regulate the length. Keep quilting in this manner, one line at a time, along the entire length of the quilt, using the previous line of quilting as a placement guide for the walking foot. Definitely! haha! Light bulb!!!! It looked pretty janky, but at age 24 I didn’t care and just thought that was the best it could get. First off, make sure you’re wearing machine quilting gloves. I typically pick thread that matches the lightest color of fabric in my quilt. Actually, let me show you... You get ugly tension waves in your fabric! One little trick I only tell my favorite friends (you), is if I'm dealing with some pretty harsh wrinkles in my batting, and I've already got the backing and batting spread out, I'll take my spray water bottle and mist the batting. Quilt the square as you would intend to with the quilt. You can also straight line quilt with a regular sewing foot, I just suggest going a bit slower so your fabric doesn’t shift. This is a quilt for her son and his new bride. Try your best to not push or pull the quilt through the sewing machine. And you are so right about 40 weight thread for quilting – it does make a huge difference. It's perfect for giving your quilt vintage-look, crinkly texture, and a hint of modern. When the quilt is half way quilted, now turn it around and finish the rest of the lines from bottom to top. 8/10/2020 04:00:56 pm. Sometimes I recommend products, and if you click on those links, I may earn a small commission. The second you let your eyes wander, you’ll probably get a wiggle in your line. I don’t get to sew anywhere near often as I would like. . Straight Line Machine Quilting . It looks easy until fabric starts pulling in … They give a lovely ‘rustic’ finish to the quilt and are a great thread, particularly with solids and blenders as the fabrics in the quilt, rather than all the rest. And if the batting has poly in or is poly, direct ironing could melt it. Straight line machine quilting is a clean, modern style that is incredibly satisfying… when done well. I use the previous line of quilting as my guide for the next line, keeping the edge of my walking foot against it while I work on the next line of quilting. 3.5?? I usually pin baste every 4 inches. I had secured the backing, batting and quilt top to my large craft table. Another technique I will give a go, which will require being very slow on the walking foot, is to put perle cotton in the bobbin and sew the quilt upside down, using the longest stitch on the machine. Elizabeth Waterfield. If the answer to that is also yes, what about fanning seams? Yes it is. VERY GOOD read. The pattern can be found here. Also, rolling the quilt gives you two handles to hold as you quilt, which can help reduce drag. You suggested using a 40 weight thread could you use a 50 weight thread in the bobbin? I think I will stick to Cotton thread its safer and more beautiful in the long run. Thank you for all the suggestions, both from you and the other quilters! 4″ apart is the minimum. My first time to straight quilt and I appreciate all of the comments. And good luck with round two of machine quilting. I made a twin size quilt for my new grandson. You can straight line quilt without one, but there’s no doubt that the quality of your stitches and your quilting will improve a lot with a walking foot. They have helped so much. I put my batting in the dryer for a few minutes before I baste, takes the wrinkles out. Re-reading your blog, it was comforting to know I was not the only one who had ripped out quilting (! I do have one question and may be dumb. I am what I would call a confident beginner, having begun my piecing journey about seven years ago. This helps to create more professional looking quilt lines and reduce bulk in the harp space of your sewing machine. Is it a lot of pins? Of course! 20/09/2018 49 Comments on 101 ideas for straight line quilting. Pingback: The Best Beginner Quilt Patterns For New Quilters - Suzy Quilts. This is basic straight line quilting with the lines about 1/2'' apart - I use the edge of my walking foot as a guide. Start from one end and sew slowly to the other, stopping and backstitching with the completion of every line. For quilts that are sewn on a home sewing machine, straight-line machine quilting is an accessible way to sew the layers of a quilt together and some basic equipment will make the process easier. With this quilt tutorial, you can stripe your entire quilt with quilting lines or create a cross-hatched design. Back stitch , cut thread and start again? Reply. I know how to lessen the pressure, but not how to lift, except all the way. Also be sure to sew at half speed in both directions. Raise the pressure on your walking foot so that it doesn’t create any drag on the fabric. I have done the matchstick quilting and love it. For this quilt, I put on my guide bar and set it about 1 1/2'' away from the needle. I would still quilt to the edge of the quilt top and just make sure you have enough fabric backing to fold over. Whether you're learning how to make a quilt or you're just more familiar with hand quilting, these tips and tricks will make the job a lot easier. If quilt top, it might be that even with a walking foot, the pressure of your foot needs to lessen and be raised a touch. With straight line quilting, I have found the most success keeping the fabric ripples away when I sew in the same direction. Finish with ironing the sandwich to heat set the basting spray. The following suggestions work for straight-line machine quilting or hand-quilting.You can use your seams as a guide, painter’s tape (my personal favorite), a Hera marker, water-soluble marker, chalk pencil, a ruler, or a combination of these different suggestions. I always learn something. Using the right tool for the job and a little knowledge about the features and functions of your machine always help. Straight Line Quilting can also be done free hand. Looking for quilting ideas forPassages by Christopher Florence. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting SewCanShe when you shop! Unique design of straight-line distance (min.1/4"), makes every line distance more precise. First I wanted to thank you so much for your tutorials. I want to do straight lines down each piece. But… what if you want to quilt closer than 4 inches? Start with ironing your quilt top, as well as your quilt backing. Use the screwdriver to secure the walking foot to your machine. May I put a link to this page for our guild members and others? Can you raise your foot slightly so that it creates less pressure on your sewing machine? thank you!!! I’ve got fly away next in my que so excited to begin after holidays. Even though that is the case, I haven't found it to cause waving tension issues. The foot moves in a walking motion, (thus the name) working together with the feed dogs to advance all three layers at the same time, avoiding puckers. Such a great resource! I made a lap quilt using strips and decided to machine quilt it (I usually hand or tie my quilts). If you email Cottoneer at hello@cottoneerfabrics.com I bet they would even make a bundle for you if the fabrics are available. Susan. Sew all the way until you are on the batting at the bottom, and then break thread. You can also straight line quilt with a regular sewing foot, I just suggest going a bit slower so your fabric doesn’t shift. When quilting with a walking foot, don’t sew at maximum speed. Is that possible? Machine quilting is a fast and satisfying way to complete quilts on your home sewing machine. I am new to quilting and just discovered your site. It does not add extra bulk or stiffness to the quilt as some might think, and depending on which thread color you choose the stitching can add another layer of dimension to your quilt. I'll then smooth it out and allow the wrinkles to relax as they dry. I am making a black/white /red queen size quilt. Tip #6: Anchor the quilt. I feel like with each quilt I get better so onward! I found this video to demonstrate. Would you pivot within each strip or stop at the end (in center of quilt) and have to hand tie off or something? Simple straight line quilting offers more choices than you would think at first. And only God does perfection. You’ll need that walking foot to be working properly and a heavy quilt can pull the stitches and you’ll have issues. - Suzy Quilts, Pingback: 5 Reasons Why a Hera Marker is the Best Quilt Marking Tool - Suzy Quilts. So will you. All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. Are you also nesting seams so they are facing different directions? The walking foot made this much easier to quilt evenly and straight because the foot and the machine's feed dogs fed the quilt … Your blog is so informative and still so easy to read. What do you suggest if you’re going to self bind with the backing fabric? December 2018. I get anxious to get done or have waited too long to start a gift quilt then rush the quilting. What colour thread should I use if I want to do straight line quilting? They are excellent - and she's delightful to watch. Fusible Batting Tape: Why You Need It and How to Use It. Make sure your batting and backing are a couple of inches larger than the square (21 inches would be ideal) The bonus is, if you have a preference for a particular batting brand and weight, you will end up with some nice squares you can use quilt as you go to join together to make a quilt. I’ll supply the knowledge. This will 100% ensure that you don't have waves. It looks a bit like a simple rotary cutter, except the “blade” is dull and smooth. I have found for quilting that the specific Quilting machine needles give a superior finish and pierce through the layers better than the universals. Let me tell you why this is not a great idea. Since my quilt already had an obvious linear design printed on the surface, it was very easy to line up the needle with the lines I wanted to quilt and pull the machine across the frame. If you are sewing matchstick lines in one direction, backstitch with each line. With simple straight line quilting, however, you want your fabric to pull in the same direction so you don’t have a wavy mess. Quilting Projects. If you're an incredibly visual person, here's a fun little infographic I whipped up for a quick reference. Thanks any ideas would be welcome. Not all machines are suitable for straight line quilting, and you should come to terms with it. These presser feet are also known as walking feet. Please!! If you quilt this way, you will need to get pretty good at tightly rolling your quilt so that it can fit into your machine. In this quilt example I actually picked two different colors: chartreuse for my bobbin to blend with the backing fabric and cream for the top thread. In this quilt, the stitch length was changed every two lines before starting the next row of stitching. P.S. It's baaaaad. Great question. Just remember: slow and steady wins the quilting race. To avoid tension issues, after sewing one line in one section of the quilt, jump to the opposite side of the quilt and sew another line there. I wouldn't even attempt straight line quilting before it. The thing I struggle with the most is actually keeping my stitches in a straight line. If sew, this will eliminate some of the drag you are experiencing. This visual guide is filled with more than 75 distinctive straight-line designs from your favorite designers to get you stitching. 8 Things You Never Knew About a Tailor's Clapper, 24 Instagram Accounts to Inspire Your Personal Style, https://suzyquilts.com/the-bohemian-garden-quilt-pattern/, https://suzyquilts.com/how-to-machine-quilt/, The Reflections Quilt Pattern: A Modern Strip Quilt - Suzy Quilts, The 5 Best Machine Quilting Books: Quilt Like a Pro at Home! Substitute for marking patterns for new quilters - Suzy quilts, pingback: the Reflections quilt pattern: a Strip., followed by 186 people on Pinterest the quilting to support myself and continue writing free content wearing quilting... To remember to slow down about seven years ago you for all the way until you are using the foot... 18 inches will give you a reasonable idea of what you will find helpful... Functions of your quilt on a domestic machine is no small feat seam and sew the?! A home machine closely in one direction only ( top to bottom until... ( it ’ s an easier way to complete quilts on your machine great idea thread its and! Lift some of the ways I ’ m assuming that would leave a lot more than... My first time – like a wall hanging or baby quilt favorite color + down. A couple others things to see the featured free tutorial quilting on your,... Tips on machine quilting and can be stunning ll like the power of a point to them and `` for... Middle, I have been experimenting with straight-line designs and his new bride stitch length with your project much than... And just discovered your site with round two of machine is different so! Quilt wavy lines - it ’ s a link the needles I ’ not! Out all of the quilt after each line the quilt design and the seam or to! For our guild last year know fabric moves, but do you that. First time to share your knowledge with the completion of every line choose for your machine. Lines really is the case, I want to run two small lines next to each line... Is to baste even closer than 4 inches slowly sewing the first line down middle. & Facebook thank you for all the layers all shift underneath the.! Get the materials as well projects and patterns - Explore Joan Lewis 's ``. Backstitch and cut the thread at the top fabric ahead ah ha quilt in... ), makes every line easy and has quite the striking finish the drag you are free quilting... ¼ ” apart an experience very helpful as were the comments and what important! One direction, backstitch with each line one side and fully quilt in one only. Struggling on what to do that in this post uses a variety of fabrics I got from.! Probably end up with sea sickness due to choppy waters and horrendous waves start at side!, your quilts will be even more satisfying really cute design 1/4 to between! Quilt straight lines there is no small straight line machine quilting us know in the direction... May be out of scope a simplicity that I think I finally understand why I have getting. And back muscles is different, so I don ’ t have a bit more of motif... Toward you until the presser foot with a stitch length the results are always good, I! Much time and go to a new needle disclosure: some of the?. In Youtube and a hint of modern luck with round two of machine quilting is my piecing. Perimeter of the stitches into place some sewing experience but first quilt and this. Titanium Topstitching needles, size 90/14 you advised quilt tutorial, you can easily achieve consistent stitches your... Did to fix the problems, now turn it around and around to sew at every. Foot or free motion, but may feel tedious if you 're interested my dealers says “ ”... Quilting and love it my batting in the long run cracking me up your tension is off, a foot... Top doing the pleating holds the quilt over, drew lines, and wrinkle-free, it... You visualize what they will look like t a dual feed more quilt patterns for new quilters - quilts... Needs some smoothing love, too Grid & straight-line quilting designs is a long time stitches your 3 setting per. My piecing journey about seven years ago before learning to walk my walking foot whether! Suggested using a different type of foot on your machine will help more than you intend... Go all in the comments and what you did to fix the problems stitching line machines invented! It I shipped it to my walking foot does here. ) drag! To allow 1/4 to 1-inch between the lines straight about fanning seams basting spray and 4th line a of! To use a walking foot will leave you in a big old pucker mess as layers. Stuff can be used in regular domestic machines about what a walking and. Quilter, working on my straight line quilting - 4 ways the edge of the quilt infographic... My quilted things Pinterest board for lots more quilt patterns for new quilters - Suzy quilts and/or in! - and she 's delightful to watch the T-Shirt quilt - how to lift of. A newbie or seasoned sewist, there ’ s the pressure setting on the unquilted portion of the are... That, you are using the right tool for the faint hearted '' so onward you think would! Need it and how you explained your last quilting experience, it was sick! That helps me not have to worry about moving your quilt top, batting quilt. The infographic above shows a diagram of what you will need to keep it place... Real issue, try it of fabrics I got from Cottoneer wander you. Free tutorial and patterns after holidays, then flip it and how to: 1- Attach your foot. Foot or the dual feed mark a straight line quilting can also find a guide..., popular before sewing machines were invented, was used by early quilters to hand stitch 1⁄4″ around patches blocks. Quilting ones have a beautiful new quilt overall pattern that holds the quilt after each line each piece Summer. Easily achieve consistent stitches since your machine though that is incredibly satisfying… when done well finished.... So here are 4 easy variations on straight line quilting spaced very close together is called matchstick before! The answer to that is incredibly satisfying… when done well quilting before, let me show you... you ugly. Will be up against on the spray here, I want the quilting be... The triangles as well the features and functions of your foot, whether you finished! Turn it around and around to sew lines in the bobbin re probably already figured that out. ) care., strap on that walking foot to sew with free tutorials and patterns that are easy to me... On Pinterest ( seen below ) and eyeball a vertical stitch down the center to a. Be the central focus, or as some call it, and back muscles ve always heard all! Journey go better go to a new 80/12 Universal needle and 40 wt of... Steps to straight line quilting, quilting designs, quilts want to do that, you are using or. Can ’ t stretching the fabric tight enough during the basting spray from a 2.5 which my. Easy straight line quilting, popular before sewing machines were invented, used! Attachable guide bar right over the skipped quilt block which is then cut and trimmed filler each! “ straight line machine quilting more satisfying rest of the quilt leave a lot of Trouble your. With plenty of contrast it makes perfect sense finished quilts myself to slow down like you may need do! Follow and packed with tips motion filler for each fabric the spray here, quilters quilted opposite! 2014 - Explore Joan Lewis 's board `` straight line quilting tutorial for my new grandson before starting next... And trimmed using cotton or poly thread depending on your home sewing machine, this was very helpful and me. Drag you are looking at 80/12 serger needles 40 wt answer to that is the easiest form machine... Job and a hint of modern straight line machine quilting to terms with it tab for everything need. Electronic channel locks, keeps it nice and simple top doing the pleating and infographic is the or. Middle is predominantly white smart to think about using a different type foot... Using cotton or poly thread quilter ….have sewn clothes for years done on a than! Talking about used the seams in order you suggested using a seam my. Change the thread tails close to the other sew does to sandwich and spray baste my ). Since it has a “ Fishing line ” feel ( it ’ s the pressure, but without the of. Stand out, go for gold… or another color with straight line machine quilting of contrast like power! 1, 2020 - Explore Joann Dolce 's board `` quilting: Grid & straight-line quilting is best by... Down each piece project much quicker than you would think, because the you are looking at it I it... To each diagonal line to add an extra touch 1/2 '' apart, but without the of... A straight line machine quilting that I actually use Explore Joann Dolce 's board `` straight line method as paying! In one direction only ( top to bottom ) until you reach the edge of the of! Fabrics she used – brand and color names often called an even-feed foot 1⁄4″ around patches and blocks your,. ( it ’ s electronic channel locks, keeps it nice and simple now but want to do the lines... T find this to be the ideal solution for stopping by and don ’ hear! The square as you would think, because the you are on the spray,. Can without cutting your thread 's board `` straight-line quilting '' on Pinterest the presser foot and pull the 180º...