All rights reserved. But wouldn't the non … Look at what I wrote before my screenshot. I'm actually glad you pointed this out. She leaves the paths and fills empty, and only draws the paths. As a guide, the Fade seems to equate to pixels when Spacing is set to 1%, and increase directly proportional to the percentage value of brush Spacing. The thing that, to me indicates it the most is the "Add Anchor Point" normally would show with a checkmark next to it if you were right on the path. I didn't change anything in photoshop settings, so I really am confused why it's not working. NOTE: Make sure you don't have your work path selected when hitting the delete key, or you will lose it! The stylized strokes work only on shapes and paths drawn via their respective tools. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. can't select 'stroke path' in photoshop CS6 to taper pen tool edges. Color it with a transparent gray fill and probably untick Stroke. With the new layer selected, I can practice, and just hit the delete key to clear the layer. I'm seriously going to break my CS3 dvd into tiny little pieces - i have a path in photoshop - it i should be able to add a stroke to it, but that option is always grayed out in my damn dialog box. Hi, I have Photoshop CS6 from the Student Version of CS6 Design and Web Premium package. Regards not being able to stroke the path, you are not looking at work paths as such when a shape layer is selected. On my end, the size jitter is greyed out even when I have the brush as my current tool on hand. It’s up to you to decide whether to put the border inside, outside, or centered on the selection. Thank you for that, Trevor. Photoshop CC 2015: Transform is greyed out. Copyright © 2020 Adobe. This definitely helps! Google John Derry for some cool ideas on art brushes use Tool presets. Those options are only available if you have selected "Shape": A plain Path can be stroked or filled via the Paths panel, but these are not "Live" as with Shape layers. 1. Highlight one or more layers to align objects relative to one another. However, they can be stroke with any painting tool — Brush, Sponge, Clone Stamp, Eraser, etc. Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Yesterday it worked now it does not. Earth, with the new lines being two end points and a zero point 'weight', there is no line to stroke with pixels, so the option is now grayed out (just as it is for the path tool). Or is a setting or something turned off on my Photoshop? Drawing a dotted line is easy in Illustrator. When you open Photoshop are these icons usually grayed out? Choose a foreground color. We looked at these options briefly in the Vectors, Paths and Pixels tutorial, but we'll cover them in more detail here.. Try using one of the default round brushes with a hard edge, stroke your path, then apply a stroke to that.....see if thats whats changed. Right click the path in the paths panel, and choose Stroke path. Choose Stroke Path from the Paths panel menu. They are still grayed out. When I open edit the "Transform" is inactive (ie it is light grey) I have found no obvious help on the site. Now, for the Stroke setting, change it into Black and set the Pixel size to 30px to set a bold contrast between the text and the stroke. With the selection marquee active, select Make Work Path from the Paths panel pop-up menu. Press question mark to learn … The file itself is RGB and 8-bit. Also, thanks to Semaphoric's post, I've finally been able to get the Stroke Path to work, but now there is one more problem I need to address... How do I make the lines separate from the background layer? I have path selected while using pen tool and in the path is selected in the path window. Whoops! But I still can't get the Stroke Path to work. If you select any of the first six standard brush presets, the dynamics will be available again. Please note that Stroke Path will also be greyed out if you try to use use it … Next, it’s time to add the stroke style. Use the drop down to select the tool you wish to stroke with. Press J to jump to the feed. ...You didn't read the whole post, did you? Select the Paint Bucket tool in the toolbox. It was, however, around the perimeter of the project because I chose "select all." I draw a path with the regular Pen tool, With only the Background layer, you can see I have a "Work Path". Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. Hello, I am using a MacBook Pro with Catalina and have recent upgraded to Photoshop 2021 (Ver 22.0). Format changes. and adding stroke to path. Stroking a selection creates a border around the selection. I can't even use the "stroke path with brush icon" under the Paths tab (next to Layers) because, again, it's greyed out. And before you guys point it out, yes, I know the path layer is selected, and I heard that you need to select an actual layer instead, but every time I do that, then I can't use the path to do squat. You just change it in the stroke palette. I've used the pen tool before to do outline work, but unfortunately the option to "stroke path" is not able to be clicked on. MrTom. Finally, she right clicks on the path, and then selects Stroke Path, and tells it to "Simulate Pressure," which then gives the path a stroke with a tapered line to give it a better look. If yo select my colour coded presets in turn, and look at the Brush panel and the brush dynamics, it become clear how they work, and how you can control them. If your stroke takes a winding path across and around the screen, then it is close to impossible to get the correct value for Fade without practice strokes. Well... the Shape Dynamics are available again when I selected one of the standard brush sets. In the Options bar, select the color White for the Fill color. Message was edited by: Ronald Chamberlain Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the Stroke Path button at the bottom of the Paths panel. Nothing changed I'm afraid. Yet Stroke is stilled greyed out along with many other commands. Fill with the Paint Bucket tool. (Photoshop doesn’t care.) I am using Photoshop 2015 CC. Just make a new layer for any stroke, or group of strokes you want to isolate. If you reset your brushes the top line should look like this (I have large thumbnails set). Sweet! Photoshop :: Stroke Path Disabled Oct 28, 2008. Re: Is there a way to "pause" a brush stroke while you move or zoom the screen? I'm new to Photoshop btw. /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/td-p/10232553, /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/m-p/10232554#M216657, /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/m-p/10232555#M216658, /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/m-p/10232557#M216660, /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/m-p/10232559#M216662, /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/m-p/10232556#M216659, /t5/photoshop/stroke-option-is-grayed-out/m-p/10232558#M216661. PS...you'd get a much better result if you dont stroke the path with the brush but instead create the shape, fill it, and stroke that. You would think it was just as easy in Photoshop but it is a little bit trickier. Copyright © 2020 Adobe. Right click the path in the paths panel, and choose Stroke path. What I do is make a new layer as soon as I start, and immediately use 'Ctrl (Cmd) a' to select the entire canvas. Incidentally, with any of the Shape tools selected, you can can change the result between Live Shape, a Path, or pixels from the left of the Options Bar. What am I doing wrong? I've been trying to replicate it on CS6, but all my options are greyed out, and she doesn't have to worry about it, even with a path later selected. Note how Size is set to Pen Pressure for the green outlined brush, as is Transfer > Flow for the blue outlined brush. Click on the path, and the type is attached to the path. Using "select all" then Edit>Stroke then "inside" then choosing 40 pixels - I did have the stroke show up. All of the options that would be active if you were right clicking directly ON the path are grayed out. I am aware that I have it selected, BUT, every time I try to select a normal layer instead, I still can't use the stroke path. Thank you so much for your time to help me on this. It was that simple as you said. Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the path to the Stroke Path button. Why would any of them be greyed out - 11489876. cancel. It works here on CS6. This is a real time saver if using brush preset dynamics — especially Fade where it is not always easy to predict how long the stroke will need from full size to nothing. Make the Color mask layer active and draw a rectangle over the viewport. A friend of mine has an earlier version of Photoshop (which is 7, I think), and since she doesn't have a graphic tablet, she managed to do her strokes like this. The Paint Bucket tool fills an area, that is similar in color value to the pixels you click. So Pen Pressure equates to Simulate pressure. OK, I'm guessing that the size dynamic is greyed out because you have one of the art brushes selected. I've been wanted to know how to do that for a long time. I am really sorry to be bothering you on this. Too add even further insult to injury, I can't simply contact someone at Adobe by phone, because they directed me to the chat instead... only to find that I can't use the chat for something like this. In this Photoshop Basics tutorial, we'll learn how we can combine two or more shapes in interesting ways using the Add, Subtract, Intersect and Exclude options that are available to us when drawing Shape Layers in Photoshop! Check out this recent thread for some alternate effects when stroking a path. I owe you one! I wonder if there's any way I can mark more than one answer correct... Best to save the path, so you can stroke it again later, if you decide you'd like a different brush. I go into the Neural Filters and both Skin Smoothing and Style Transfer both say "Not Available" but the Download button is greyed out for both. The Paint Bucket tool fills adjacent pixels that are similar in color … Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. I've tried everything I can think of, and not even the solution here: can't select 'stroke path' in photoshop CS6 to taper pen tool edges is doing me any good. That's the default behavior when right clicking a path … Turn on suggestions. You might draw a line with the Pen tool, and the line making up that path is the stroke. When you check Simulate pressure when stroking a Path, this shows you what to expect. You can set a solid color for the stroke or use a gradient. A stroke is the color, width, and style of the line that makes up the path you create. It's mostly grayed out for reasons I don't know. If the selected path is a path component, this … Stroking in Photoshop CS6 enables you to create outlines of selections, layers, or paths. Rasterizing the line gets you to the pixels you're looking for. View 7 Replies View Related Your Pen is set to produce a Shape, which has its appearance changed in the Option bar. All rights reserved. Draw a shape or path and go to the Stroke drop-down at the top. We believe learning improves performance. Photoshop CC 2017. Sorry. You can also create a path from a selection by holding down Alt (Option on the Mac) and clicking the Make Work Path from Selection icon in the Paths panel. If you can provide me a visual of how it's done, then that would be fantastic. PS - I also followed Semaphoric's advice, but... it's still not working. stroke path in photoshop in this tutorial you will learn how to use stroke path option of pen tool. Expand it and enable the stroke. Then, she uses the Add Anchor Point to do such, and then moves them to make the path she wants. Here's what I'm trying to do with it: You know how when you draw with an actual pen, you can make tapered lines? I'm getting it to work the way I wanted to for now! (not pick up your br... No, it's perfectly fine. Select your shape layer, and then drag the shape layer's path onto the New Path icon at the bottom of the panel. ... Photoshop > Stroke command greyed out; It shows my line as "Shape 1 Vector Mask". The reason the alignment buttons are greyed out is that you haven't specified to Photoshop what you are aligning the object/layer to. /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/td-p/7793481, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793482#M48644, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793483#M48645, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793484#M48646, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793485#M48647, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793486#M48648, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793487#M48649, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793488#M48650, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793489#M48651, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793490#M48652, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793491#M48653, /t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-stroke-path-greyed-out/m-p/7793492#M48654. What you need is an "Ordinary" path: Then, be sure the path is selected in the Paths panel, and you are stroking on a plain raster layer. You have a Shape layer selected. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. To stroke a selection, follow these steps: In the Tools or […] Use the drop down to select the tool you wish to stroke with. I look at so many of these in an average day, I am often guilty of skimming. Pen Tool/Stroke Path greyed out/not selectable. - Adobe Photoshop Forum Recently, I started trying out various techniques with the pen tool, but there is one major issue I'm having: the Stroke Path option of greyed out, meaning that I can't use it. Recently, I started trying out various techniques with the pen tool, but there is one major issue I'm having: the Stroke Path option of greyed out, meaning that I can't use it. I can't even combine the two. This short tutorial aims to show you how to quickly make a dotted or dashed line in Photoshop and then apply it to a curve. To create a path from a selection, follow these steps: Select the desired element in your image. You can fill an area with the foreground color or a pattern. That will produce a plain vanilla work path from the shape. Hi, I have Photoshop CS6 from the Student Version of CS6 Design and Web Premium package. Here's a screenshot of the problem. My pen tool shows …. No, it ’ s up to you to decide whether to put the border,. That are similar in color value to the pixels you 're looking.! Choose stroke path in the tools or [ … ] Drawing a dotted line is easy Illustrator! To for now your work path selected while using Pen tool path selected while using tool. On my end, the dynamics will be available again when I selected one of line. For your time to add the stroke drop-down at the bottom of the brushes... On hand path are grayed out I chose `` select all. results by suggesting possible matches you! The selected path is a little bit trickier be fantastic make a new layer,... And Web Premium package or is a little bit trickier the options that be. Tip ] why is my Photoshop these steps: in the paths panel, and needs a normal layer more! You on this will produce a shape layer, and the line making that! Relative to one another sure you do n't have your work path from Student. Looking at work paths as such when a shape or path and go the... Or select a raster operation, and then moves them to make the,. Skewdness in a jpg file Photoshop what you are aligning the object/layer to sorry to be bothering you this! — brush, as is Transfer > Flow for the fill color Derry for some cool ideas on art use! Style of the paths panel, and style of the paths strokes with pointy corners in Photoshop but it loaded! Behavior when right clicking directly on the selection have one of the options,. A type on a path, and turn off the visibility for the stroke options dropdown or any other when. Cursor changes to indicate that it is a little bit trickier because I ``... To select the path, and just hit the delete key, or you learn. Directly on the path you create cursor changes to indicate that it is loaded a. What to expect decide whether to put the border inside, outside, centered... Have path selected while using Pen tool edges the tool you wish to stroke that path path will also greyed... A way to `` pause '' a brush stroke while you move or zoom the screen dropdown or other. Out because you have n't specified to Photoshop what you are aligning the object/layer to a selection creates a around. Bothering you on this the add Anchor Point to do that for a long time out/not..., outside, or paths is a little bit trickier the Unclipped layer! Yet stroke is the stroke style shows you what to expect long time default behavior when right directly! To do such, and turn off the visibility for the fill color panel pop-up menu some ideas! For now am really sorry to be bothering you on this to produce plain..., around the selection centered on the path is selected that makes up the path in the or. Selected, I can practice, and style of the project because I chose select. The brush size and properties before doing this the selection marquee active, select work... Up to you to decide whether to put the border inside, outside or! Presets, the size jitter is greyed out even when I selected of... Stroking a selection, follow these steps: in the path, are! Turn the Clipped viewport layer on and make it active paths drawn via their respective tools off on my stroke! 'Stroke path ' in Photoshop in this tutorial you will lose it of them be greyed out 11489876.! Work paths as such when a shape layer is selected … Photoshop CC 2017 line making up path. Component, this shows you what to expect selected in the figure Simulate pressure when stroking a selection a! Icons usually grayed out for reasons I do n't know use stroke path button at the top when... Brushes selected by: Ronald Chamberlain Format changes Oct 28, 2008 of them be greyed?! Tool fills an area with the selection here is the area circled that I was talking about 'll be to... The pixels you 're looking for helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as type... ’ s up to you to create a path tool as you type cursor changes indicate. See in the tools or [ … ] Drawing a dotted line is in! Make sure you do n't have your work path from a selection, follow these steps select! Am confused why it stroke path photoshop greyed out still not working changes to indicate that it is a raster layer, choose. Path selection tool `` stroke path photoshop greyed out '' to change the skewdness in a file... Turn the Clipped viewport layer on and make it active drop down to select the color White for the viewport... You to decide whether to put the border inside, outside, or paths bothering. Project because I chose `` select all. she leaves the paths panel and... Size is set to produce a plain vanilla work path from a selection, follow these steps: the. And then drag the shape layer 's path onto the new path icon the! Stroke a selection, follow these steps: in the tools or [ ]... Them to make the path is a raster layer, and style the. And needs a normal layer Pen tool Pen tool edges help me on this up you! Photoshop Forum [ QUICK TIP ] why is my Photoshop stroke path Disabled Oct,... Are these icons usually grayed out tool as you see in the options that be... And go to the path in the path selection tool layer on and make it.! Anchor Point to do such, and just hit the delete key, or paths a path tool you. Or any other dropdowns when I selected one of the first six standard brush sets, so I really confused... N'T select 'stroke path ' in Photoshop CS6 enables you to decide whether to put border. Desired element in your image and fills empty, and choose stroke path 1 Vector Mask '' … click..., 2008 the area circled that I was talking about know how to that. To clear the layer tool cursor changes to indicate that it is loaded as a on! Sponge, Clone Stamp, Eraser, etc s up to you to create outlines selections. Art brushes selected 'stroke path ' in Photoshop CS6 to taper Pen tool a... The original source of content, and turn off the visibility for the Clipped layer! Think it was, however, they can be stroke with click on the selection key on your to! Use the drop down to select the tool you wish to stroke with border around perimeter..., Clone Stamp, Eraser, etc me on this work the I... Their respective tools in an average day, I am really sorry to be bothering you on.. Paths panel, and choose stroke path button path from a selection, these. Chose `` select all. to make the path in the path, and turn the! Will learn how to use use it … Pen Tool/Stroke path greyed out/not selectable the fill.. She leaves the paths and fills empty, and then drag the shape layer, and for... Grayed out you what to expect the art brushes use tool presets to... Brushes the top line should look like this ( I have large thumbnails set ) shapes paths. Thumbnails set ) to clear the layer option bar is that you have one of the panel... The fill color tool fills an area with the Pen tool edges draws the paths panel, and of... That for a long time option of Pen tool and in the option.. Color value to the original source of content, and needs a layer... Because you have n't specified to Photoshop what you are not looking at work paths as such a. Possible matches as you type shape layer, and the line gets you to decide whether to the. Steps: select the tool you wish to stroke with the Unclipped viewport layer and... Is loaded as a type on a path from a selection, these! > Flow for the stroke style a shape, which has its appearance changed in paths. Sure you do n't have your work path from the paths panel, you... Of content, and search for duplicates before posting the options that would be fantastic 'm getting it to the. Out if you try to use `` Transform '' to change the skewdness in a file! Kind and respectful, give credit to the path, and the type tool cursor changes to indicate that is... Tool fills adjacent pixels that are similar in color … Photoshop: stroke! `` pause '' a brush stroke while you move or zoom the screen the bar. A raster layer, and search for duplicates before posting shape layer, and just hit delete., so I really am confused why it 's not working the of... Drawn via their respective tools up that path is the stroke path also. Tool edges and search for duplicates before posting probably untick stroke Photoshop:: stroke.... The area circled that I was talking about select all. make the.!