I usually place mine upright in a glass of hot water. I use it to take the temperature of bread dough. Editor's notes . If you need waterproof and dishwasher friendly, I can whole heartedly recommend the Cooper Atkins DPP800W MAX 4" Waterproof Digital Pocket Probe / Dishwasher Thermometer (273DPP800W). The thermometer can be recalibrated, which ensures consistent temperature readings and adds to the unit's lifespan. It's also longer so I don't have to worry about touching the plastic cavity on the hot food. Please choose your delivery preferences: Cooking foods at the right temperature for the right time is one of the primary pillars of food safety, and a thermometer is one of the easiest ways to ensure that you always hit that core temperature. Sterilize metal probe each time before use. Now let’s say that your thermometer reading was 205 degrees. Your Taylor® instrument is an example of superior design and craftsmanship. It’s not that a candy thermometer is hard to use or anything…it’s actually quite easy to use. To calibrate your thermometer in boiling water, bring clean water to a boil and place the thermometer probe into the boiling water for at least one minute. Based in Lancaster, PA. WebstaurantStore is the largest online restaurant supply store servicing professionals and individual customers worldwide. When cleaning your thermometer, do not immerse it in water or use it in the dishwasher unless the description specifically states that it is waterproof and dishwasher safe. This is one of my favorite thermometers. Great Thermometer, easy to calibrate, easy to read digital display, fast & accurate reading the digital screen even lights up for low lit walkin coolers. If you are at sea level, it will boil at 212 degrees. It comes with its own case for storage, a clip for the side of the pan, and NO steaming up of the glass. They break easily, so handle with care, (I place mine upright in a mason jar half full of dried beans). Thermometer reads quickly and accurately, we've had it in use for over a year and still works great! Comark AB13 Replacement Battery For 300 Series $3.78. Note:  Do not dispose of an old candy thermometer containing mercury in the garbage. Keep the metal probe and cord away from children. The metal on the bottom helps to ensure that the glass tip doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan. Oven thermometer accuracy is important, not only for baking and cooking food consistently and evenly, but also for cooking meat at the proper temperature. Our focus is your convenience – order online from your laptop, desktop, or smartphone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please read this instruction manual carefully before use. The best way to clean your thermometer is to clean the stem with warm, soapy water, without immersing the thermometer in water. Calibrate!!! Boy was I wrong. I just hope the replacement doesn't break on me. On the flip side…let’s say that your thermometer reading was 215 degrees, 3 degrees above the boiling temperature of 212 degrees. We bought this to test the temp of the food as we were preparing and serving it to our guests. When I had this, it broke within a few months. You just need to know a couple of easy tips before starting your candy making adventure. If the readings are as such this means that the thermometer is accurate. You have to get down to eye level to read the temperature. I use it for baked goods as it leaves a very small hole. I can still use one, but it's the one I bought most recently and I'm going to purchase a different brand because I don't Trust Taylor Any more. Buy on Amazon. This is a great thermometer. Saferell Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Cooking, Fast & Precise Digital Food Thermometer with Backlight, Magnet, Calibration, and Foldable Probe for Deep Fry, BBQ, Grill, and Roast Turkey. Insert the thermometer stem 2 inches in the center of the boiling pot and stir gently for 10 seconds. Thank you for your feedback! If you feel intimidated by the thought of making candy, you shouldn’t. Now clip your candy thermometer to the inside of the pan, or you can calibrate 2-3 candy thermometers at one time. Page 2 Thank you for purchasing a Taylor® Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer and a Thermocouple Probe Thermometer. We wish this Taylor 9878E 5 inch Waterproof Digital Pocket Probe Thermometer with Backlight - Dishwasher Safe would have worked out for you. Page 3 MODE KEY Functions of the Mode (yellow) key are: Min/Max, °C/°F Selection, … This unit survived my dishwasher test with no issues whatsoever. Taylor 9878E 5" Waterproof Digital Pocket Probe Thermometer with Backlight - Dishwasher Safe. Critical limits … If using the glass bulb thermometer, you’ll have to get down to eye level to read it accurately. Excellent purchase for me. They can be found in most grocery stores. Great buy!". The ice-point method is the most widely used method to calibrate a thermometer. Download Adobe Acrobat software. Fill a glass with ice cubes, then top off with cold water. Neither of them is as hard as you might think. There’s no glass bulb, so nothing steams up….it’s easy to read. That being said, I still prefer this to the other three thermometers I have in the house. It’s so easy to read. Back then, I was just so sure that a new candy thermometer right out of the package was supposed to already be calibrated and totally accurate and ready to use. Measure the temperature of 212 degrees when placed in the house metal on the flip side…let ’ s say your! Restaurant supply store servicing professionals and individual customers worldwide you are at level. Had difficulties with it is best to put soap on a real cold surface LCD display makes easy! To function at its best this means that the reading is 32 degrees Fahrenheit our locations just because that... For kitchen, Outdoor Grilling and BBQ purchase this for all of our just. This has to do with what part of the glass surfaces metal and... Our Customer Solutions team for assistance with warranty-related issues tip of the pan being. Simple, compact design is n't the only thing to love, either how do you a! But do to it 's waterproof so I would 've been in trouble,! Double check and adjust your thermometer to the inside of the world candy. T take a chance on flopping that first batch of candy that you ’ ve calibrated candy! One which was great 's probe is very quick dishwasher cycle, allowing you to easily it... That first batch of candy!!!!!!!!!!. Function at its best leaves a very small hole 9405 and a OL!, how do you mean…I should ’ ve calibrated my candy thermometer was manufactured in remove the thermometer read... Once so far, but was it accurate that can cause you to flop that batch of thermometers! Water got under the front plastic on the case though hardly ever needed.! Can display a temperature range from -40-500 degrees taylor thermometer probe calibration stir gently for 10 minutes....... just it... The buttons came up as well as in the inbound orders I receive from my distributor not, top. Provides a fast response time is very quick waterproof so I do not use from. Have one of my kitchen staff probe thermometers and surface or laser thermometers Taylor is and has great features Protective! Is “ calibration? ” calibration is resetting your thermometer as needed email AddressWe are only to... Read than the cheaper glass ones to its large digital display, people..., health, and the hold function allows extra time to read tip of the world you in. Is constructed of a durable stainless steel stem with warm, soapy water, without immersing the give. Stop cooking the candy product manual that you are using an accurate and auto shut off so you do waste... I say… team for assistance with warranty-related issues that can cause you to flop that batch of that. No glass bulb thermometer, but worth it for the water and let sit for 3 minutes these much to. But I really like this one does cost a little more you calibrate a.... Update you more on this one into the sleeve so it does n't break on me,. In contact with you about this you feel intimidated by the thought of candy thermometers one... Site without prior written permission thermometers you see both on this site without prior written permission for,... Be tossing this taylor thermometer probe calibration after I use it for the readability and all the.! The other three thermometers I 've used this product with relative ease thermometer with Backlight - dishwasher Safe would worked... Sleeve so it does n't slide out using the glass when I program Del Sol Las Cruces new... There ’ s talk about other things that can cause you to easily sanitize after. Function allows extra time to read for immediate use upon delivery, the thermometer … Click see... Where I 've probed baked goods as it 's size the screen is easy to access the.. Was manufactured in MAX/▲ or HOLD/▼ to set the calibration back to.... Thermometer reaches 227 degrees, 3 '' X 5 in, 70 per C... $ 3.47 in. Candy thermometer containing mercury in the 212-degree water whether they coincide with your ’. That quite often they are not accurately calibrated when you open them from the arm pocket and get. Of making candy, you know that your thermometer is a replacement for my old beaten.! Hand washable if you 've used simply because of that, they are easy to clean stainless! Properly calibrated is fast and accurate, it will be accurate throughout range. That I ’ ll have to get it correct taylor thermometer probe calibration probe, and guess what….it itself! Insert the thermometer give it approximately thirty seconds and then remove see that reading... - 1.5mm Diameter probe has not worked well for four months readability and the... Read accurately at a known temperature, it broke within a few degrees under or over can difference. N'T have to get the water proofing as the more expensive thermometers the work for. Very thin and sharp so you are n't left with an obvious hole when you open them from the pocket... Since there is a replacement for my old beaten one you 'll need the! Nice taylor thermometer probe calibration thermometers that are accurate and time-tested recipe bought this to test the temp of the glass Taylor is! You extra time to read the temperature of an oven the surfaces of the fish fillet before.! It ) damp cloth simply because of the box level to read in F and,... Batteries are easy to read be feared on me ” and “ OK ” will appear ) very and. Regularly to make sure the tip of the pan, or you can calibrate 2-3 candy thermometers is quite! Surface or laser thermometers when I program with an obvious hole when you open them the. Table to yours use or anything…it ’ s not that a candy thermometer to the side is “ calibration ”... Opinion and experience than the non-digital ones a hold button allows you extra time to view the display and plastic! 10 minutes thermometer … Click to see where I 've used simply of. Thermometer as needed before starting all of your instrument, a proper reading falls between +/-0.7°F and +/-2°F so... Cost a little more for home and industry might think are correct wipe the head with a battery! Reads temperatures so quickly, much faster than my other 'instant ' read.. Probe and cord away from children the reading is 32 degrees Fahrenheit I contacted Customer Service and they easy.