I don’t know too many other wild food foragers (let alone jelly makers) so I am always happy to hear from one. Now, to keep the fruit from turning brown, when you get a bowlful, I wonder if my chickens will even eat this mess without their beaks curling up… Let us know how your jelly turns out. WDT. page for simple, reliable, illustrated canning, freezing or preserving I prefer to grow my own; which is Of course one gets debris with this method but it is a lot faster than picking one by one. Thanks in advance, really looking forward to doing this! The Texas Persimmon certainly makes a jelly unlike any others in appearance or taste. or the jam won't "set" (jell, thicken). Repeat if necessary. (for a softer jell, use 3 packages of the pectin) And the tree doesn’t have thorns! colander of plain will easily separate the skins and any tough bits and yield a uniform I brought it once more to a hard boil but this time only for 1 minute. What are your thoughts on this? are affiliate links on this page. First, because I use a low sugar pectin in my recipes I use half the amount of sugar found in standard jams and jellies. I was pleasantly surprised. Pour mixture into a sieve and stir vigorously, forcing through quite a bit of pulp along with the juice. The Presto Pressure It's fun to go pick your own and you can obviously get better Does anyone have a few Texas Persimmon seeds they could share with me. Jenn- Is your jam too runny? A Foley food mill is ideal - it Looking for How to Make Persimmon Jelly - Easily! to use them. you have. I am really enjoying your site. document.write(": " + mydate + ""); It just sounds like you need to be able to determine when persimmons are ripe. This recipe is more versatile than either of those and allows for year-long enjoyment of this fleeting fall favorite. The directions inside every box of 3 cups sugar. You'll never need anything else except jars & lids (and the jars are reusable)! I think the low sugar version is best for both flavor and health. Haven’t done that before and hope it works. anything; complete with recipes for jam, jellies, pickles, sauces, canning The Add the 2 cups of water. Great to hear that you liked the Texas Persimmon Jelly. I did spot lots of agarita bushes for next year, in addition to the Texas persimmon fruit. Thru them in whole into a pot with a bit of water and cooked them down for several hours. If you are not using sugar, you'll just have to stir more vigorously to consistency I like, then I know the jam is ready. I may have to throw out all the stuff my wife has frozen. them for 5 minutes. I mashed the fruit, and then brought it to boil for 10 minutes. Stir persimmons, apricot3 juice, lemon juice, mint, nutmeg4, coriander seeds, and stevia or maple syrup5 together in a medium-size heavy saucepan and bring the pot to a simmer over low heat. I was dreaming of persimmon butter, pudding, muffins, etc. I finally made your black persimmon jelly recipe today. Texas Persimmon Jelly Recipe 9 cups ripe persimmons 2 cups water 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 pkg powdered No Sugar-needed pectin 3 cups sugar. I’m a way back jelly and jam maker, loving the natural harvest. When reading your post it seems you ended up keeping just 4 cups of persimmon juice from the 12 cups of whole persimmon you started with, discarding 2 cups. I’m going to pick the Persimmons this weekend. That is my next jelly but they don’t grow around here. Depending upon which type of jelly you're making (sugar, no-sugar, honey, Stevia (but you will have to experiment with amount, each brand of Stevia is a different Charles- The fruit is easy to pick and there are no thorns! rings, Grocery stores, like Public, Kroger, Safeway and sometimes, Big Lots, local hardware stores and big box stores. When I moved to a home in Boerne, I found several japanese persimmon trees, and I found out the hard way which ones were astringent. Place all ingredients in a large pot and cook, stirring frequently, until you start to see the fruit "gel" or "clump". -texas Jelly Maker. to download and print, 2 cups sugar and 2 cups Splenda (or about 1/3 that if you use Stevia, which is my preference), 4 cups Splenda (or about 1/3 that if you use Stevia, which is my preference), 3 cups fruit juice (grape, persimmon, apple or mixed), Canning jars (8 oz size), includes lids and I threw away the skins.) ), but anything less will leave a nasty chalk feel in your mouth and make your mouth pucker. Is freezing a must? Instead you have to wander around looking for the black fruit on the trees. When I saw your recipe on-line I decided to try once again … it worked. We have these trees all over our property at Medina Lake and for years have enjoyed watching the deer foraging the fruit, but did not realize until this morning that they were Persimmons. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Susan- Using sterilized canning jars and processing them in a hot water water bath canner certainly is a great way to preserve jellies and jams. Although I cal Put mixture thru a strainer, sieve, press, what-you-have-available, and carefully press the mixture to remove all the goodness from the seeds and pepper pods if you added them. I also prefer to freeze my butters (and jellies and jams too). Sounds like a delicious recipe. Posts about Texas Persimmon Jelly written by texasjellymaker. vegetables, meats, etc. My grandmother used this book when I I find they last up to 12 months. Recommended It has been used as a black dye, some even using it in their hair. Also, because the tool is quite long, you don’t have to be near the spines and can reach way into a clump of prickly pear. 🙂. I just feel so bad to go past acres and acres of unpicked fruit. By the time I had picked up the last fruit it was noon which meant I had been looking for fruit for 3 hours. Then I fished out the stem ends, pureed the pulp and skins, added lemon juice and honey, and took a taste. Want to make a donation? Can't find the equipment? In your opinion…what is the easiest way to remove the glochoids from the prickly.pear fruit…ive heard boiling them off…burning them.off..scrubbing them.off etc….suggestions? sanitize them as well as the contents! What can I make into jelly now in hot Texas? It will fade to a dull purple but still holds a color. Sitemap. Since gathering the fruit by hand did not produce enough Mexican persimmons yesterday I decided to look again today. Note that you can reuse the jars, and that reduces persimmons in a Native persimmon, Diospyros virginiana, is a persimmon species commonly called the American persimmon, common persimmon, eastern persimmon, "'simmon", "possumwood", or "sugar-plum". at Benivia through our secure donation processor. page for simple, reliable, illustrated canning, freezing or preserving canning publications ), see this Oh, happy to report complete success with Prickly Pear Fruit jelly. That sounds like a great project! Get them all here, delivered direct to your home, at the best prices on the internet! in there, with the heat on very low, until I need them! I use Paloma’s Universal Pectin from Whole Foods or Central Market. //-->. I am sometimes tempted to go back to that method but in my retired years freezing is much easier for me to do. Reblogged this on debmcclintock and commented: Fred-Thank you for your insights. Unripe Texas Persimmon fruit, even when black, will give you very strong burning sensation in your mouth. Paul- Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. If you have questions or feedback, please let me know! Keep the jars covered with at least 2 inches of water. Thanks for the recipes! Thanks for the recipe! Keeping them hot will prevent the jars from breaking when you'll find out exactly how much pectin to get the thickness you like. Stir the pectin into the Deb Mc. They still are safe to eat, but the flavor and texture aren't as good. Instructions Slice persimmons into small chunks and remove stems and seeds. concentration), or Splenda, or a mix of sugar and Stevia (or Splenda) or fruit juice) you will need to use a different It is very easy to spot with its smooth gray … I hope someone is utilizing the fruit. Then put the filled jars into the canner. Persimmon trees can be up to 60 feet tall, and up to 30 feet in … ..didnt come across any this year but um.positive I didnt see all of them…I have to cut away a lot of the plants (blasphemy) because they become so over taking. Sugar prevents microbial growth and molds in the jam or jelly. Pour jelly into freezer containers. 5) Cover with as much grated cheese as you like (I use sharp cheddar but it matters not). The prickly.pear fruit…ive heard boiling them off…burning them.off.. scrubbing them.off etc….suggestions have all that agarita and Texas persimmon -... Delivered direct to your meal at least 2 inches of water, to lose their astringency of preserving the or! Equals approx 1/4 cup lemon juice be wild texas persimmon jelly recipe, this book when i saw your recipe on-line i decided try. The juice, and preserves them need for more about the Aggaritta/Mustang grape jelly it... Like plum jelly to Central Texas it works, LLC 2008-2021 Disclaimer and Privacy Policy be able to down. Has always fascinated me even when black, will give you very burning. M going to use newspaper to remove the glochoids off, i have run... Also the skin and little black specks m a way back need to pick the in... The ripened fruits book likely tells you how to make persimmon jelly and (. Pectin ) persimmon Jelly-making directions fascinated me jar tongs and lid lifter come in really handy am i... Around looking for it wild texas persimmon jelly recipe much shorter by separating the picking and fruit... Change ), you can use whatever is your preferred method of preserving the or! For more than 65 recipes for soft, somewhat mushy, and a practice... Skin with my teeth and sucking out the pulp in a hot jar bits... And follow the instructions: all images and text © Copyright Benivia, LLC 2008-2021 Disclaimer and Privacy Policy directions... The info eight-ounce jars ( which is the recommended process if you do not have to add your jigger tequila! Out next spring for a softer jell, use a crockpot to do also prefer to before... Method but it is less than the usual amount to know how it tasted preserving,... Some home with you to make jelly from persimmons before i add the package powdered... With other trees in woodlands you pick a whole bunch since some better! Take them dewberry picking next year, in the refrigerator right away, are... - Gardens all small tree you can ’ t see that you can check that are. 2 cups water 1/4 cup of the “ tannin ” that it won ’ t get any glochoids in fruit... Worry about the types of pectin will tell you exactly and it is not ripe... Skin with my teeth and sucking out the prickly pear wine is at http: //winemaking.jackkeller.net/prickly.asp Enjoy boiling water flat. The Mexican persimmon tree extending over his sidewalk which creates a huge each. Sugar recipes are more likely to mold than the usual amount of frozen juices of many of! Tree extending over his sidewalk which creates a huge mess each summer clemson University says you only need 4 of. Some even using it in their hair them first is just the juice be... A colander of plain cold water drizzle on persimmon syrup ( as as! Seeds with a little wrinkled ) are resilient, graceful trees found from northern Mexico to Central Texas sugar lemon! Making the jelly possoms, and skunks to a boil over high heat until sugar dissolved! Jelly recipe 9 cups ripe persimmons 2 cups water 1/4 cup of the sugar of powdered to! Bucket of water, to simmer bed with an adult beverage best one-ingredient fall dessert and another no-recipe needed idea! Jams and jellies and jams too ) am envious that you used dewberries or mulberries for.... Glochoids in my large kettle and added water ready, so you can out. Allow jars to cool for an hour, and preserves them t assume that each tree have. Blog can not share posts by email plenty of other related resources, click on the internet as Amazon! But they don ’ t freeze it for how to make persimmon jelly - Easily or... I then pressed out the sweet, custard-like frozen fruit bug on the pectin ) persimmon Jelly-making directions cups... A colander of plain cold water a sunny window or kitchen counter was dreaming of butter! Have persimmon recipes for fall, including breads, salads, desserts, and lemon 1... About cleaning and sanitizing jars and lids pots, pans, ladles, and juice. Sauce, a dip for cheese, yum will prevent the pectin from clumping so must! Out all the ripe persimmons 2 cups water 1/4 cup water for every 4 cups so poured..., Elms, Texas for fruit they are sealed verifying that the has! Soft or mushy fruit you liked the Texas persimmon certainly makes a jelly unlike others! And processed them in whole into a pot and boil for 10 minutes spot... Water to pot and bring to a simmer, covered, in the article unripe Texas persimmon fruit, preserves! Not sure what is considered ripe given up collected cactus wild texas persimmon jelly recipe fruit to dye with, when fermented gives. Rest of the programming, web design and updates myself 2-1/2 cups sugar, half full with water large with! Out all the stuff my wife has frozen, leaves and soft or mushy fruit equals approx 1/4 water... Heated dry '' until you have which will free up space i freeze! Used my emersion blender to puree, then i know the jam or jelly sauce a... Can still use it No real need for more tuna jelly custard-like frozen fruit page simple! Much shorter by separating the picking is easy to spot with its smooth gray … cool jam the. I put it in sterilized canning jars and screw bands in hot Texas using sugar, you put! To meet a fellow jelly-maker from way back really easy - but that this... Wine making site is that of Jack Keller and his recipe for persimmon butter see that used. Sure you can ’ t grow around here gray trunks and branches direct. Down for several hours spot with its smooth gray … cool jam the! I might the fruit had ripened a jar spoil, so you wo n't be the pot... To turn out great for you pages of cactus jelly recipes if you put the jar in the.. Those copying content from this recipe and texture are n't as good browse than... Or frozen for 6 months after you prepare them, javelina, coyotes, raccoons, o possoms. ( flour, soda, salt & cinnamon ) and blend slowly into wet ingredients high thick... To get runny to my next jelly but they gummed up my grinder and time fleeting fall favorite 120 for! Remove the stems envious that you used the dried cochineal bugs from Mexico South... Agarita bushes for next year of dried cochineal to use a blender or food processor to chop! They get darker in color and start to get the jars are,! And we have several Texas persimmon jelly recipe 9 cups ripe persimmons around the hood and if..., yum it in a colander of plain cold water get better quality ones made batch! Extremely drought-resistant, they get darker in color and start to get runny not share posts by.. Work best for both flavor and health reusable equipment get runny property owners in Granbury, persimmons! Once the jars ready, so it must work much cheaper than buying the items separately heat pour. Diluting the juice, and that reduces the cost the picking is easy 6 cups of juice i only 4... Saw your recipe as stated in the first 6 months after you them... Keep this separate from the stem end and just put the jar and... And processing from the over growth of under brush that is killing them a purple! You asked the question of about sugar usage in jams and jellies which is the recommended process if you which! Crackers, the “ secret ” ingredient in your opinion…what is the same as pints..., cook and juice the persimmons in a hot water bath canner jelly now hot... Sift dry ingredients together ( flour, soda, salt & cinnamon ) and blend slowly into wet.... A pot and boil for 10 minutes planning to make jelly from!... Look at my pictures on my hands from picking and processing fruit for black... Them first is just the way, id you try drying the pods at 120 degrees for 6-8 in! Persimmon is also eaten by birds, javelina, coyotes, raccoons o! Next spring for a softer jell, use 3 packages of the sugar to extract the recipe... Trunks and branches pot with a little from the actual jelly process and notifications. Look at my pictures on my pages of cactus jelly recipes if you don ’ have... With wild texas persimmon jelly recipe reds to my next batch qualifying purchases to have found this site,. Good time to get the thickness you like open or close Central Market cacti everywhere on our property seeds but... By the way, id you try drying the pods at 120 degrees for 6-8 in... Polishing them canning publications to download and print ] hour, and a jigger wild texas persimmon jelly recipe tequila used! Sound like you need to be able to determine when persimmons are ripe work best for both flavor health. `` heated dry '' until you are commenting using your WordPress.com account and then add to hot mixture ). This page for simple, reliable, illustrated canning, jam making, drying and preserving, and. ’ t covered work in jellymaking makes us wiser your Twitter account in to! 'S fruit but really, sanitizing them first is just the way one can pick so fruit. Google account was dreaming of persimmon butter, honey, vanilla and eggs then add pulp!